Are you happy with your 3.7L V6 engine? - Page 23 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your 3.7 engine?
I am very satisfied and report no issues 469 85.27%
I am satsified and report only a few issues which have been resolved 71 12.91%
I am dissatisfied, there have been issues but most issues are resolved 6 1.09%
I am very dissatisfied because of unresolved problems 4 0.73%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

So far so good bought it in July with 17000 miles traded my 09 v6 added a mpt per race tune and 91 chill tune to it and aem drop in filter.With 305 hp stock i found the car is no slouch but what made me happy is i went to the American Muscle car show and i was surprised by the number of 3.7 owners who showed their cars as i did also so i think that these cars are getting the respect they deserve and that makes me happy that i bought one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

I traded a Focus Titanium. Couldn't stand the 7/8 sized hard seats and the dual clutch shift box. I have a 2014 V6 premium automatic and love every minute of driving it. I would have bought the 2015, but they do not make the V6 in premium trim and there is no useful back seat. I hear people knocking the V6 but let's remember it has more horsepower than 2004 and older V8s. I beat a 2004 Cobra. 0-60 in under 6 seconds with a 14.5 quarter! If you are thinking you need the V8 you need to ask yourself how big is your ego and is your wallet thick enough? And then there is range. I already fill up every 220 miles. I suspect the 5.0 needs to be filled every 150-180 miles. Ford needs to put a 20 gallon tank in these to get useful range.

Bottom line is I LIKE the luxury side of the Mustang Premium, the ride, the comfortable seats, the smooth and powerful V6, and the stunning good looks.

Red 3-7 likes this.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Jazz View Post
...I hear people knocking the V6 but let's remember it has more horsepower than 2004 and older V8s...
I might be wrong, but doesn't the v6 have roughly the same HP as the S197 (2005-2010) GT?

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az.dsrt View Post
I might be wrong, but doesn't the v6 have roughly the same HP as the S197 (2005-2010) GT?
It is roughly the same as the 4.6 in horsewpower, but the 4.6 has more torque: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...t+engine+specs

2012 Mustang V6 Premium Coupe, Red Candy Metallic, MCA Edition, Performance Package

Go: Bama 93P Tune, Airaid MXP CAI, FRPP Sport Exhaust
Show: Suntek Carbon 35, GT500 Splash Guards, Redline Goods Shift and E-brake Boots
SHELBY GT 350 Member

a great engine, but it's not going to be around in the future. Ford is going to the 3.5 as their corporate V6. I THINK the Stang is the only vehicle the 3.7 is in and from what I read it was only rental car companies that insisted on it. Fords unwillingness to offer options when you chose the V6 enforces this belief.

Thoughts not facts but I'd be willing to wager on this.
FiK likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

It's the engine of choice for me. I looked at a newer V8 and while it was a very nice car the one I have now is better. Only those in the know would see the difference between what I have and what i could have got. And those would be Mustang enthusiasts, a sizable portion of whom would still appreciate the car anyway.

I think the key is the exhaust, being a true dual setup, that makes the sound that is unique to the engine. I don't think of it as coming up short to the V8 sound but rather a sound all it's own. The V8 (to me) is more of a off the line sort of car. Where the 6 can't compete stock along those lines the car can be "stupid fast" when using the top of the rev range.

The key to the 6 however is having a row your own 6 speed. Automatics are nice, but manuals involve the driver more and have that direct connected feeling that the engine needs.

Let me be frank: Iím not a very good driver. Now, I donít mean that I careen from lamppost to lamppost like a drunken pinball, nor that I have to spend my afternoons picking teeth out of the bumper and pressure-washing old-ladies and kittens out of the undercarriage; no, Iím merely pointing out that Iím not a race car driver in real life, only on the podium of my own imagination.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Red, the key to the V6 is gears....it really needs the 3.31 as a minimum. With that 3rd gear is a hoot...

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

Well the sixter is fine. Has power, it is pretty smooth. Ford did a great job regarding the sound.
Apprentice

I am LOVING my 3.7L Cyclone 'Stang!!!

Just put a set of Pypes Pipe Bomb Axle backs on her and she sounds as good as she looks now!!!

I will be looking at a tune for her soon as well and then i believe I will be absolutely extatic about her!!!

I'm happy knowing that I can pretty much destroy any 05 to 10 GT that decides to be a douche and I know it's no 5.0 so when a newer GT pulls up i just smile and wave... ☺

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Mustang "Cyclone" 3.7L V6 - 6 Speed - Premium / Performance Pkg - Race Red - Airaid CAI - Pype Bomb Axle Backs - BAMA Tuned - 57000 Km and counting 😈

2000 Mustang 3.8L V6 - 5 Speed - Stock - 196000 Km 😎 *SOLD*
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 3-7 View Post
It is roughly the same as the 4.6 in horsewpower, but the 4.6 has more torque: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...t+engine+specs
This is true but the V6 is also lighter than the 4.6 GT of yesteryear so this basically evens things out...

http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2012-For...r_Coupe/specs/

2012 Mustang "Cyclone" 3.7L V6 - 6 Speed - Premium / Performance Pkg - Race Red - Airaid CAI - Pype Bomb Axle Backs - BAMA Tuned - 57000 Km and counting 😈

PONY Member

Garage
Cyclone 6

For what its worth, I think that Ford selected a cool name for the Cyclone Six.

1964 Mercury Cyclone:
Are you happy with your 3.7L V6 engine?-64-mercury-cyclone-high-front-end.jpg
yiannisthegreek likes this.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" Ė John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
For what its worth, I think that Ford selected a cool name for the Cyclone Six.

1964 Mercury Cyclone:
Attachment 481498
I do too and I also think they chose a cool name for the performance package "Mayhem" even though Ive not really seen it used much...

PONY Member

I like the 3.7L V6. It's great enough that Radical put it in their racecar for the street. I love how fast it spools up, but my only gripe is that is takes a while to rev down. Otherwise great.

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
Rookie

Happy with the V6. On a 120 mile trip average 31 MPG. V8's have a better sound if you have the right pipes but I'm past that stage.
1DrunkCat likes this.
Apprentice

Just passed 40K miles. Astonished at how good of a car this is. With the Boss 302 Recaros the feel of the interior of the car is completely different (better) than with the stock seats. The MPG is amazing, hitting 400+ miles on a tank, but that will drop when 3:31 get installed.

2012 V6 Coupe, Premium, Pony, Grabber Blue
Boss 302 Recaro interior, love it!
Boss 302 front Tower brace.
Closed rear tire gap by shortening stock rear springs by 1.5".

"The harder I work, the luckier I get" (Samual Goldwyn)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page