Are you happy with your 3.7L V6 engine? - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your 3.7 engine?
I am very satisfied and report no issues 469 85.27%
I am satsified and report only a few issues which have been resolved 71 12.91%
I am dissatisfied, there have been issues but most issues are resolved 6 1.09%
I am very dissatisfied because of unresolved problems 4 0.73%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 366 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
Jazzcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,339
 
Are you happy with your 3.7L V6 engine?

Well folks there are the "are you happy with your auto/manual" threads which have become AFM cult favourites, now we have one dedicated to our 3.7 engines.

Take the poll and let us know how your engine is holding up and your degree of satisfaction/dissatisfaction.

Take the time to write a few comments as well. Some of us have been driving these engines for a couple years so the data and anecdotes should be plenty!


2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)


Last edited by 5POINTO; 07-15-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Jazzcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 366 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
Jazzcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,339
 
I have been traveling a lot for the last year and I only have 5K trouble free kilometers.

I really like this sixer. It's smooth, powerful, and even has a bit of a baby v8 grumble/exhaust note. Ford did well to not make it sound like grandad's fusion.


2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Jazzcat is offline  
Rookie
V6 Member
 
JpL4K3's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 42
 
I only had ~600 miles on my 2012. I have only owned it for close to two weeks. I am coming from a 409whp 2002 v6 mustang so this car takes time to get used to. First of all this car is way to smooth/refined for me for a Mustang, which isn't a bad thing I am just not used to it. It feels like a much larger car too. I am getting the hang of this motor though, all of its power is in the top end, and I will be switching out the 2.73's for 3.73's. Mine is a manual transmission, which is nice, but I can see where a short throw will take the slop out of it. I need suspension to help stiffen this car u p too.
JpL4K3 is offline  
 
Beast3.7
Guest
 
Beast3.7's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
I think the engine is marvelous and pretty efficient. The only thing I wish was different was the gearing. I really feel like my car is a whole different animal with 3.73 gears and that they were made for this motor especially because the power is a little higher in the rpm range. I understand why Ford doesn't offer them though because they probably could only rate the v6 at 27-28mpg and the v8 is rated for 26 mpg. Additionally with those gears you get a lot closer to the v8 in the acceleration department so they would have to rethink their whole marketing strategy.

I wish they would just sell a track version of the 3.7 kind of like the Boss and with 3.73 gears. If they could shed 2-300lbs, the 3.7 could be very potent on the road courses.

However I think it's a moot point with the next generation Mustang coming just around the corner.

I do think that the 3.7 will be looked upon more favorably in the future since younger generations seem to be less hung up on cylinders than the older Mustang enthusiasts. Also gas isn't getting any cheaper so if a collector looks for a drivable classic, the v6 would fit the bill.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Journal
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Ltngdrvr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 7,791
 
I'm at 2000 miles and am ecstatic over the 3.7, never owned a better motor, or better car for that matter.

I still have, and will most likely keep, the 2.73's in my car, I'm so digging the outstanding fuel economy and there is still great performance available.

And my MT82 is butter smooth.

Ltngdrvr is offline  
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
Darin1988's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 223
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
I think the engine is marvelous and pretty efficient. The only thing I wish was different was the gearing. I really feel like my car is a whole different animal with 3.73 gears and that they were made for this motor especially because the power is a little higher in the rpm range. I understand why Ford doesn't offer them though because they probably could only rate the v6 at 27-28mpg and the v8 is rated for 26 mpg. Additionally with those gears you get a lot closer to the v8 in the acceleration department so they would have to rethink their whole marketing strategy.

I wish they would just sell a track version of the 3.7 kind of like the Boss and with 3.73 gears. If they could shed 2-300lbs, the 3.7 could be very potent on the road courses.

However I think it's a moot point with the next generation Mustang coming just around the corner.

I do think that the 3.7 will be looked upon more favorably in the future since younger generations seem to be less hung up on cylinders than the older Mustang enthusiasts. Also gas isn't getting any cheaper so if a collector looks for a drivable classic, the v6 would fit the bill.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Journal
Great post.

Does changing the gears from 2.73 to 3.73 void our warranties?
Darin1988 is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
jnagy75's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Greenville
Posts: 949
 
24,000 miles and I have always said this engine is a hoss.

2011 v6 PP Race Red
Flowmaster Super 44's
K&N Drop In
3.73 Rear End
Axle Exchange Driveshaft
jnagy75 is offline  
GT Member
 
bluebyu12's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,995
 
love the 3.7.. i look forward to driving this car every day. I usually hit on ramps at 3/4 throttle revving up to 5,000 rpms and it just growls and pulls so smoothly, yet when you want to lug along with the rest of traffic you can and it gets good mileage.

Still cant wait for boost though :kooky:

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
bluebyu12 is offline  
post #9 of 366 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
Jazzcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,339
 
RE: Engine break-in and oil change

My car's been stored for the last 6 months and even though I had new oil put in it before I stored it, I think I'll change it again now that it's out for duty.

There's a lot more info on the 5.0 regarding engine break in and when's the best time to switch over to synthetic. Not too much info on the V6.

So I need to decide whether to stick with the motorcraft blend at 5k kilometers / 3.5k miles for a few more thousand clicks, or just throw in some of the pennzoil platinum I have on the shelf.

Anyone have any comments on what they experienced with their 3.7s during break-in----or is it all voodoo!

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Jazzcat is offline  
PONY Member
 
blackstangBlake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 696
 
Wanted a 5.0, couldn't afford it. Would have taken a 4.6, but didn't want a potentially abused car with 40k miles, a few years old with styling I didn't like as much. Ford hooked me with its 305 HP and 31 MPG marketing. No regrets. Love it so far.

2012 Mustang V6 auto.

- BAMA 93- S or R
blackstangBlake is offline  
Rookie
 
jayb79's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Seacoast
Posts: 13
 
It is the reason I bought this car, loving the V6 in every way.

Mustang V6 Premium 2013, Ordered: 03/03/12, VIN: 03/12/12, Window Sticker: 03/21/12, Built date: 03/27/12, Delivery:ETA 4/15/12 Arrived: 04/11/12, Driving: 04/12/12
jayb79 is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Ltngdrvr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 7,791
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
RE: Engine break-in and oil change

My car's been stored for the last 6 months and even though I had new oil put in it before I stored it, I think I'll change it again now that it's out for duty.

There's a lot more info on the 5.0 regarding engine break in and when's the best time to switch over to synthetic. Not too much info on the V6.

So I need to decide whether to stick with the motorcraft blend at 5k kilometers / 3.5k miles for a few more thousand clicks, or just throw in some of the pennzoil platinum I have on the shelf.

Anyone have any comments on what they experienced with their 3.7s during break-in----or is it all voodoo!
Very off subject for this thread...

I went to synthetic on the first change at about 950 miles, no looking back.

Ltngdrvr is offline  
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: LA
Posts: 2,153
 
Love my 3.7. Pulls hard and smooth from 1.5k all the way up to 7k. Only have 5500 miles on it and I still havent changed the oil. Kinda getting a little scared about that but its still running strong. The 4.6 I drove was a little faster from 1.5 to 3k but is absolutely a dog compared to the sixxer from 4-7k. Out of the many many cars I've driven it has the most dramatic change at 4k and I suspect the stock tune is to blame for that but it pulls like a train up top. Many cars have been surprised by the 3.7 screamming away from 6-7k be it a v8, v6, twin turbo i6, or turbo i4.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
powerwhee is offline  
post #14 of 366 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
Jazzcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,339
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Very off subject for this thread...

I went to synthetic on the first change at about 950 miles, no looking back.

You're right. It may be off topic. I'll see if I can post the question somewhere else.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Jazzcat is offline  
Apprentice
 
Cnd.Flapjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: calgary
Posts: 59
 
So far so good. The 3.7 is smooth, strong in the mid-top range and with the frpp sport axle backs it sounds like a much more expensive/exotic v6.

More low end torque would be nice but beggars can't be choosers.

Cnd.Flapjack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1