Borla LT Headers (OFFROAD) + Borla Ataks + Ghost Cams *Video* - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Wow!! That is wake the dead loud!!

Resonators tamed the rasp down on my setup, but I think you will need hi-flow cats and resonators to get you to where it isn't extremely loud. I used a set of used stock '11 GT resonators welded in right before the rear axle on mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hahahha i couldn't take it anymore, its too loud and scary since i have to watch my back 24/7 to make sure no troopers are behind me. The last thing i need is to be pulled over for being to noisy and then getting n sh*t for not having cats.

I have therefore taken the Borla Ataks off and put on my stock mufflers until i get cats and resonators. Its alot more tame now and sounds similer to stock but man it feels so much more powerful, and since its quiet i can really put my foot down to test it out :P

Now i need to find 2.25" Hi flow cats but theres none on american muscle. what brands and models of cats has everyone used. I went to a few muffler shops and they told me like 300$ a cat . Ebay has some cats for 40$ a piece but i dunno if they are safe, what do you guys think? or should i stick with a name brand like pypes or magnaflow?

2013 Mustang V6 - Black
Performance Mods
C&L CAI, BORLA LT Headers, Borla X-Pipe with Hi-Flow Cats , Pypes Resonators, Borla Atack Axle Backs, SCT X3 with 93 Octane Performance STAGE 3 MPT Ghost Cam Tune, Steeda Short throw shifter, Hurst Pistle Grip Knob.

Youtube: RCKTPNY Instagram: danyal_meyer
GT Member

I'm using Bassani Hi Flow cats and they have been nothing but good to me.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black

PONY Member

Are the stock cats to restrictive? I would just slap those on it and call it a day if you still have them.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaholic View Post
Are the stock cats to restrictive? I would just slap those on it and call it a day if you still have them.

Id like to keep those cats on the stock pipe so if i have to return to stock if i sell the car ill still have the parts in good condition. i also think hi flow cats are going to be less restrictive so they are a better option.

I decided to buy some cats from ebay. i read some reviews and they seem to be good especially for the price (60$ a cat) They should arrive tomoro so i can finally install them and put my borla ataks back on and enjoy the car without worrying about being pulled over and getting in sh*t for not having cats.

2013 Mustang V6 - Black
Performance Mods
C&L CAI, BORLA LT Headers, Borla X-Pipe with Hi-Flow Cats , Pypes Resonators, Borla Atack Axle Backs, SCT X3 with 93 Octane Performance STAGE 3 MPT Ghost Cam Tune, Steeda Short throw shifter, Hurst Pistle Grip Knob.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The cat's will rob some of the power compared to resonators. The resonators would have been cheaper, and lower the db level while not at WOT considerably.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
PONY Member

Gotten the cats or resonators installed yet? Would love to hear what it sounds like with them on.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
The cat's will rob some of the power compared to resonators. The resonators would have been cheaper, and lower the db level while not at WOT considerably.
I decided to go with the cats over the resonators cause they were smaller and easier to source. The cats i got are small and pretty much seethru as they aren't really restrictive :P. the filter inside is pretty much just directing airflow, reducing drone n rasp. i agree resonators would be better but i felt cats would be a safer route. i also dont have such a strong offroad smell which is a bonus. With the cats the stang is still pulling like crazy so its all good

Quote:
Gotten the cats or resonators installed yet? Would love to hear what it sounds like with them on.

Hey Rockaholic, yeh i installed the cats this weekend and they have improved it alot. Its still loud but the rasp and drone is pretty much gone. there is a area between 3200 and 3400 were i get a little bit of rasp but it lasts for like a second and after that it goes away and is just power loud :P . The car is a little quieter at idle but sounds just like some of the GT's ive seen with full headers and hi flow cats, and thats without the ghost cams.

The cats are really high quality, and at 60$ a piece they weren't a bad deal. they have corrected all the problems i was having and i am "legal" now :P... I got them to cut the x-pipe and weld the cats in since that was easiest place to mount them. after the x-pipe the stock pipe is squashed flat and is not perfectly round from the factory so that would have been more of a pain to install. Plus now the cats are in the general area where troopers look so i should be "more legal" :P

I will have another video soon so you can hear it. i haven't had time to make one yet since college is getting hectic as its finals week for summer class.

I can say that im happy with the system now and just wanna drive it around :p, in the end the cats havent hurt it, they've refined it

2013 Mustang V6 - Black
Performance Mods

PONY Member

So what size pipe are you using all the way back? 2.5"?
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
So what size pipe are you using all the way back? 2.5"?
Since the headers and xpipe and axlebacks are all 2.25" i just kept it at 2.25" all the way back. The headers and x-pipe alone take up so much space that if i changed the remaining pipe to 2.5", i doubt it make a big difference.

I asked the guy who installed the headers and he suggested i just "keep the stock piping that was left as the extra .25" wont help" me.

2013 Mustang V6 - Black
Performance Mods

PONY Member

I am debating on upping the pipe size because it will give it a different tone from experience. Also the bends will do the same. I am not sure yet, I am going to talk to a local shop that does specifically mufflers and see what they can do for me.
Apprentice

So now that the rasp is better, have you put the ATAKs back on? if so...video please!

Borla ATAK Axle-backs, GT500 rear valence, JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, Black Roush shift kit/Knob, Roush Quarter Window Louvers, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, 15% Tint All Around, Blacked out rear end, Blue LED Dome Lights, Silver Horse Racing Blue LED Push Button Start, AMR Charcoal wheels 255/45/18 and 275/40/18 Nitto NT555
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
I am debating on upping the pipe size because it will give it a different tone from experience. Also the bends will do the same. I am not sure yet, I am going to talk to a local shop that does specifically mufflers and see what they can do for me.
I know bluebyu12 has 2.5" piping throughout, maybe he can advise on the results of such a mod. i think the guys in the shop can help you out though, they should know.

If your gonna replace the piping i would get rid of the cats and install hiflow cats. i think it will help louden your system. Pair that with a nice axle back and i think it woud sound beast :yelpleased: The cats i got on ebay were cheap and work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judged88 View Post
So now that the rasp is better, have you put the ATAKs back on? if so...video please!
Yep they are back on and are sounding mean ... i should have a video up by this weekend hopefully, just really busy with college stuff this week so sorry for the wait .

2013 Mustang V6 - Black
Performance Mods

Apprentice

hey no problem, I'm going through the same deal lol atleast you got your headers on! Cant wait to hear with the new setup!

Borla ATAK Axle-backs, GT500 rear valence, JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, Black Roush shift kit/Knob, Roush Quarter Window Louvers, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, 15% Tint All Around, Blacked out rear end, Blue LED Dome Lights, Silver Horse Racing Blue LED Push Button Start, AMR Charcoal wheels 255/45/18 and 275/40/18 Nitto NT555
PONY Member

Any videos of the new set up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
borla atak exhaust , borla headers , ghost cams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page