Burns smell from semi new clutch, what to expect? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry Burns smell from semi new clutch, what to expect?

I was extremely unlucky when I could finally afford my mustang.
I was forced to share it with my family who were more than fond of burning my clutch. I have recently spent the money to get a spec clutch on my V6 and the car has been driving fine for a week (with the exception of a very slight burnt clutch smell for the first day ONLY).

Now I unknowingly 'shared' my car with my dads girlfriend. She brought the car back with the stench of a burnt clutch. F*****CK!!!!

What can I expect now... will the clutch still be fine if it has been a one time burn? Will the clutch get progressively worse? I don't feel anything slipping but the smell sure is there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
Apprentice

That sucks man, sorry. I'm an auto guy, and can't speak to this. But I'd just keep the car to yourself, life lesson maybe?

2013 BLACK V6 FORD MUSTANG
TECH & SYNC PACKAGES | AIRAID CAI | BAMA 91H TUNE | BORLA ATAK AXELBACKS | WEATHERTECH BLACK FLOOR LINERS |
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

dad know cars? i say get on his case lol
Does it come back every time you use it? (smell)
how long did she drive it?
And I think you will be fine.... instead of 40k on the clutch you will get 38k imo something like that... I dont think it is the end of the world. But i would bring it up to her, can she drive?

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

The situation is just stupid. They just wont recognize that it was her fault. Whatever.

I just want to know what is the damage...
She drove like 7kilometers only and I know that she can drive standard so the damage to the clutch can't be that bad.

What I seriously want to understand is what does the smell of a burnt clutch EXACTLY mean....

Does it mean its completely gone?

Does it mean it will now have faster wear?

Does it mean that it has burn a bit and therefore has lost a chunk of productive lifetime?

Thank you for the responses I love you guys
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

To me... It does not mean faster wear. Or a chunk is gone you just heated it up to a point where it smells 7km isnt bad i wouldnt worry... I burnt my clutch a few times plus drag racing and learning to drive and at 13.5k miles my clutch feels perfect and you have a better one

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
Banned

The smell on these is very penetrating, for some reason. It's also easy to generate. If it still engages normally and there's no shuddering, just let it air out and never let the offending person drive it again.

It was high revs with gradual engagement that generated the smell. These cars can produce small amounts of the odor by, say, trying a burnout while forgetting to turn off traction control. That applies brakes against the clutch, but doesn't last long. That's an example of "easy to generate." Give it some time to clear out....probably just fine.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
PONY Member

Clutches, like brake pads, will produce some smell as they seat in. If the clutch has not been slipped much, and then it's heated up, it'll stink. I wouldn't worry unless it becomes a weekly thing.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7, M6, 101A, security package, built 5/3/11.
Mods: The list is long, like WRXified's winky used to be.

Other junk: 1994 Z28 conv LT1 A4 - 1965 Custom 2dr 390 M4 - 1962 Galaxie 4dr 427 A3 - 1979 Firebird Formula EV (work in progress) - 1967 Austin Healy Sprite (basket case)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Stop letting those dummies drive your car. Especially the dad's girlfriend.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012
PONY Member

That's screwed up. Sounds like it time to get a new girlfriend as well if her dad is driving it.

Does he not have a car? If he has a car, borrow it and drive the crap out of it, I don't care what type of car it is, go offroading in it and bring it back dirtier then **** and then tell him you just went to the store, must of hit a puddle.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Bruned clutch smell sticks with you for a while. Sounds like it is probably ok but pay attention to engagement and perfromance for a while to be safe. Air it out like grabber mentioned or get some air freshener.

1. Who owns the car and makes payments?
2. If the answer is you then the rest applies. If dad, your're screwed.
3. Gain possession of your spare key
4. Enable "My Key" for the spare key How To Use MyKey® | Official Ford Owner Site.
....Not a cure, but can enable nag features, speed (80mph) and radio volume. It can also tell you how far the car is driven
5. Hide the spare keys. Safe, attic, basement, underwear drawer.
6. Keep your key in your pocket at all times. Hide before sleeping.
7. Do not loan your car to anyone .. Period.

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 V6 MCA Edition Ingot Silver / Stone (1 of 6) - Traded

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhtx35 View Post
That's screwed up. Sounds like it time to get a new girlfriend as well if her dad is driving it.

Does he not have a car? If he has a car, borrow it and drive the crap out of it, I don't care what type of car it is, go offroading in it and bring it back dirtier then **** and then tell him you just went to the store, must of hit a puddle.
You've got that backwards, sir.

It's his dad's girlfriend, not his girlfriend's dad.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Seadog

Some people will ride the clutch. That is harder than anything on it, long term. Once in a while, it will just reduce the life of the clutch and stink things up. Either it is your car, or it is not. If not, you should never had gotten standard unless you were certain of who would be driving it.
GT Member

Would not worry about it as long as it feels fine, try stomping on it in 3rd gear, if not slippage its fine.

Hopefully he only did 1 or 2 burnouts!

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you all guys.
The clutch was fine in the end. I really recomend the brand that I got (from SPEC clutches and flywheels)
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. Im in a similar situation . I just put a new Centerforce dual friction clutch in my supercharged GT. I broke it in correctly for 500 miles as recommended. On the first full throttle attempt, it slipped and burned.
I have driven it several times since. It grabs well on full throttle shifts. But when you pull away from a light, if you slip it a bit under moderate load it will still smell slightly. Im hoping it will go away. But Im sure I hurt it when it slipped the first time at 7000 rpm.
Glad to hear yours is sounding like its still ok.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
angry , burnt , clutch , spec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page