No Drip Oil Change. It's Easy - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Just dropped in exactly 5.7 litres as the manual says and it was right on the the top of the line on the dipstick. It seems that Ford may have overfilled it from the factory as it seemed to be dangerously close to the top hole on the dipstick, if not a little past it.

So I'm good to go until the spring with my penzoil platinum, wix filter, and my newly installed fumoto quick release valve--good thread on that as well.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
One small correction. The oil pan bolt is like a 14 or 15mm.
My oil pan drain nut is 16mm, 15mm socket will not go on it.

And with 6 qts the dipstick measures just below the top hole. So not over filled but it is very close.

GT Member
V6 Member

I over filled by dumping in exactly 6 qts just recently. It was over by about 1/8" on the dipstick. I didnt notice it at first though. Ran it a couple of days and checked and that's when I saw the overage. I dropped the filter, dumped that oil and now it's just below the top line.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.

JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergjh View Post
I over filled by dumping in exactly 6 qts just recently. It was over by about 1/8" on the dipstick. I didnt notice it at first though. Ran it a couple of days and checked and that's when I saw the overage. I dropped the filter, dumped that oil and now it's just below the top line.
Mine is right on the top hole, so I probably won't dump any. But on the next changes I'll probably only do 5.7 or 5.8, more oil for the other cars cause the mustang isn't burning any between oil changes.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Some good tips guys!

One thing I suggest is to set up the drain pan etc while it warming up, then crack the drain plug loose so it's finger tight. Then shut her down when its warmed up and undo the plug.

The reason this is the best technique is because more particles will be in suspension when the hot oil is dumped.

With modern, low viscosity oils even the small particles drop to the bottom quickly when the engine is shut down and you really want get that crap out!

Try it, you'll see.

Oh, if the plug is too hot get some gloves on!

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
My oil pan drain nut is 16mm, 15mm socket will not go on it.

And with 6 qts the dipstick measures just below the top hole. So not over filled but it is very close.
Good `ol Ford. Now they are using different size bolts on different cars. The 16mm socket just spins on mine. Remember when they used to say don`t buy a car that was built on a Friday or Monday? The logic was that on Friday the workers were in a big hurry to get done for the weekend, & on Monday, they were still hung over from the weekend. Either way- something was bound to get messed up on the assembly line. Wonder if that is still true today?

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page