No Drip Oil Change. It's Easy - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
JeffOden

No Drip Oil Change. It's Easy

Warm your car up, it is better to change warm oil, more contaminates are removed.
Then pull up onto the Rhino ramps.
Use 16mm socket to remove drain plug, after loosening plug I use one hand to finish unscrewing plug while other hand holds the oil catch pan under/infront of drain hole. Drain, replace plug.

Remove the three 8mm bolts that hold rear flap up. Your oil catch pan has about 5.5 qts of old oil so it weighs 8 or 9 pounds now. It can easily push/hold back the plastic flap back past verticle. Now just center it under the old oil filter.
One hint, if you are removing the old filter from above be super careful not to let it slip through your oily fingers. It plops into the catch pan making a huge mess(did that once), removing from below is safer.
Replace filter, put in 6qts 5w-20. Enjoy your clean, kitty litter free driveway. It's soo EASY!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0325.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	626.4 KB
ID:	164563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0324.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	684.8 KB
ID:	164564  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
PONY Member

I,m getting ready to change mine for the first, good info. Thanks this will likely save some oil spills.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
eclypse3demons

That is a lot of work for an oil change =)

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse3demons View Post
For the peace of mind it's done right....no, not really.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
PONY Member

Thanks.
I have been having the Mustang's oil changed, but since I do all kinds of work on my other cars, your note has inspired me to do my oil next time up.
Funny how I don't hesitate to swap an engine in an antique car but I send the modern cars to the shop for simple things.
Is there any kind of computer reset involved?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down Bruce View Post
Thanks.
I have been having the Mustang's oil changed, but since I do all kinds of work on my other cars, your note has inspired me to do my oil next time up.
Funny how I don't hesitate to swap an engine in an antique car but I send the modern cars to the shop for simple things.
Is there any kind of computer reset involved?
yes, i believe you scroll through the information bar where it tells you "engine oil life, press to reset" then you hit reset.

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
GT Member

Not to steal your glory, but I made a sort of "how-to" a while back that should help newbies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
Hey everyone. I gave my Sixxer her first oil change today. I've read a bunch of questions by people who were uncertain about changing the oil or who had questions about the filter and such, or people who are just new to cars in general and have no idea how to do it, so I took some pictures.

Here's the set up:

Note: You only see 5 liters of oil in the pic, I had a spare liter of 5W-20 not shown that I had to put in.

First things first: drain the oil.

To do this, locate the oil drain plug on the oil sump. Its located facing the passenger side of the car. I did not take a 'before' pic of me unscrewing the screw, but this should help you nonetheless:

I had used an adjustable ratchet to remove the screw. Was not difficult, but required a little force to break the screw loose.

Next thing on the list is to change the oil filter (if you choose to). Which I did. To get to it from the bottom, you have to remove 3 bolts which are really easy and the bottom of the car even tells you where (and has arrows pointing to their locations.) Once unscrewed, the panel just swings down and you have easy access to the filter.

I chose to remove the filter from the top:

Then I drained the oil, by routing it with a cardboard piece, so as to avoid getting dirty oil on wires that just happen to be in the way:

That's it. Real easy.
By the way, I no longer use WIX after that oil filter. It started leaking oil after a few thousand miles.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
It is a lot of work. I rather pay the 20 bucks and have someone else do it. At the cost of oil, it's cheaper to let a shop do it. Still nice write up.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012
PONY Member

I need to work on pulling the filter without spilling the oil everywhere, my first attempt failed at that. Before I do it next time I am thinking of getting one of those "form a funnel" things.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Apprentice

Best advice for a no drip oil change...patience. If you're in no rush you'll make less mistakes. Granted it is just an oil change but I recognize there are people that aren't too familiar with doing their own oil changes.. Or you can pay to have it done but personally I like the satisfaction of doing my own work to my vehicle.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7L - 6MT - 2.73 - Reverse Sensing/Security Package - Airaid CAI - SCT Tuner w/stock tune - FRPP Sport Axleback - GT Premium Steering Wheel - JLT Oil Separator
Banned

Great Saturday activity to do in nice fall air while you're ignoring Ivy League games while waiting for the real football to start on TV. And I loved Solidhadriel's full frontal explicit pictures this early in the morning....
GT Member

The local dealer still does it for $19.95. I'll let them do it till I am out of 5/50 warranty. I don't think I can do it myself any cheaper.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
Banned

Dead on, Deadstick. At that price, I can't beat it. Just be sure to bring a MM&FF or Race Pages to replace the stuff in the dealer waiting area.
GT Member

Right some folks don't want to change it themselves bit of a messy job.But I doubt the dealer will put in synth for $19.99!

I still do what I can myself for piece of mind, also good time to take a look under there and spray bushings, steering boots, take a look a wrong for any issues.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse3demons View Post
"Work" is just time, whether you change the oil or not the time will pass. Taking it to a shop costs money, I have to go to "work" to earn that money. I try to never pay someone to do something that I can do myself.

Last weekend I changed the oil and rotated the tires, it took less then two hours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page