Grille-mounted foglamps on 2012 V6? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Grille-mounted foglamps on 2012 V6?

I really like the look of the grille-mounted foglights I've seen on some of the Mustangs (I think only the GT's?) .. was this not an option for the V6 models? I can't seem to find any aftermarket kits to add these lights to the V6 model either.. .seems like it should be a simple kit.... can I just order the grille and lights from a Ford dealer and put them on a V6 model (2012)?

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'm sure you can make something yourself but to use the get setup you need a get bumper to use a get grill

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

You can't just swap in a grille with the light openings?

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

That's for 2013... it's exactly what I'm looking for.. just the wrong year

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

no, you can't just swap. It'll take a bunch of effort or I think they might sell a v6 Elanor version

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012
PONY Member

Yea, they also sell kits for the 2005-2009 Mustangs, but nothing yet for the 2010-2012. You have to fabricate your own or wait until someone sells a grill for the 2010-2012.

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012
PONY Member

Stillen i think had one in development, but canned it. I fabbed a saleen onto mine, so I know its possible dimension-wise. You will have a lot of fabbing to do, but if you know tools, it shouldnt be that hard to do in a days work.

Get a takeoff grill from any of the take off sites, and use the stock honeycomb v6 grill surround as a spacer( you have to cut it). The dimensions should add up.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012
GT Member

If you want to mount GT fog lights (or even the center-mounted lights), you have to change to a GT bumper cover. You should be able to get the grille/lights from from Roush Takeoffs, and you might be able to find a front bumper cover on Craigs List (if I were you, I'd only do a local face-to-face purchase if buying off Craig's list). You might even get luck and find a bumper cover that's the correct color. If you're not happy about the prospect of fabricating something yourself, this is your best bet. If you get the bumper cover, the whole thing will take about an hour to do in your garage.

After getting those parts, you're going to need to update your wiring harness. Starkey Products makes a wiring harness upgrade kit for $190. Believe me when I say using this harness is a MUCH better idea than trying to splice into your existing wiring.

To complete the swap, it'll cost you about $1000 (if you have to have the bumper cover painted).

BTW, my V6 has the 3D-Carbon center-mount grille (which also requires a GT-compatible front bumper cover.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_gecko View Post
That's for 2013... it's exactly what I'm looking for.. just the wrong year
wow my bad, i must be blind i could have sworn it said 2013!

Rookie

I remember AM said they were creating an Eleanor style grille for the 2012, but they canned it because they said the air flow into the engine is greatly diminished with the lights in place. There is not enough air coming into the engine to cool the lights and the engine, forcing them to cancel their plans for the lights and the grille. I don't think they have plans anytime soon to create anything.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks guys... if things play out well, I'll soon have my hands on a 2012 Premium V6 with Performance Package and MCA package... looking at options... can't wait to get it... <fingers crossed>

GT Member

If you want fog lights, you can always get the V6 kit (from Starkeys Products). These lights go in the openings that already exist in your bumper cover (under the turn signals). That will cost you a lot less than a GT grille swap.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
MACH I Member

Or buy some very affordable GT Take-Off's for a fraction of the price:

2010-2012 FORD MUSTANG - GT GRILLE W/ SILVER MUSTANG AND FOG LAMPS (NEW) | eBay

(as stated earlier, you will need a GT bumper to directly fit it - or else modify it ti fut the V6 surround)

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

thanks guys... yeah, the Mustang I'm getting already has the factory foglights mounted in the bumper - but I just really like the aggressive look of the grille mounted ones... too bad it's so difficult to make it happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page