Best bang for the buck tires. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

Do you want a Summer tire or an All-Season?

If you do AutoX and dragstrip with a competitive mind, you should be running a summer tire. Especially being in Florida.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
If you do AutoX and dragstrip with a competitive mind, you should be running a summer tire. Especially being in Florida.
Amen.

Also, the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tires I run are optimized for turning, not accelerating or even really stopping. I think the stock tires were about as good in the straight line. The Dunlop has a weird rounded shape across the width of the tire and this results in a goofy contact patch in the straight line but a better contact patch when turning.

I assume the mean looking BFG summer tire (TA KDW?) and the nitto NT555 are a bit better in the straight line than the Dunlops.

The Dunlops also have zero road noise and are amazing in the wet, which are definitely both pluses.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Pony Package wheels are 8" wide though. That's why I ask about the 255
Sorry I was thinking of the OPs base V6 wheels. You can safely go 255 with an 8" wide wheel.

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Do you want a Summer tire or an All-Season?

Dont summer tires last only around 15k?

So far I have 3.73 gears, custom pypes exhaust, air raid cai, ddm hid, jlt lower control arms, Bama 93r tune, sway bars, lowering springs.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Pony Package wheels are 8" wide though. That's why I ask about the 255
Couple things I learned when shopping for tires and researching a long time ago that I thought I'd pass on b/c it's not really logical until you understand where those numbers come from.

A 255 may not be 255 depending on what rim you put it on (if that makes sense). What I mean by that is they measure the tires mounted on a wheel. So if you mount a "255" on a 8inch wheel, it may not be in fact a 255 and your contact patch may be more on the outside, thus worse grip, and bad wear patterns. Tire experts actually say you can go all the way up to 10'' rims w/ a 255 but the minimum is 8.5''. Yes, it would "fit" on your 8'' rim, but you might find that a 245 or even the 235 is a better fit and not much if any "less wide". Tirerack has "specs" that will tell you what the rim size is they used to derive that number. For example, I have 8.5'' rims with a "255" but that number came from it being measured on 9" rims. I'm getting 245 next time w/ a little more side wall but it's really not going to be any less contact/less wide of a tire when mounted b/c they measured those on a 8.5" rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvillan87 View Post
UTQG will tell you the estimated tire life but overall, if you drive hard and autocross every now and then, yes 15-20k I'd say is "normal".

Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: btw I know I'm in the wrong section but I just thought this might help you all out.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvillan87 View Post
Maybe, but in my opinion the increase in traction is worth more in overall vehicle performance (turning, braking, accelerating while turning, accelerating off the line, emergency maneuvers, damn rain) than all the other mods you have.

Buying the best performing tires you can find is always a good decision.

Also, I got the stock tires pretty close to the wear bars after probably 20k miles... So its all very variable.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
PONY Member

tire widths vary by manufacturer up to 2" per size. meaning you may find a goodyear tire in 255 width that has a 8" tread width while a michelin tire in 255 size has a 10" tread width. If you are concerned about that, obviously a tire that more closely matches the wheel width handles better (less flex), check the tire widths of tires that you are considering buying.

Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Would these be able good tire to go with for all hear round do in Florida Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z III Tire (235/55-17) 5517903 - Free Shipping!

So far I have 3.73 gears, custom pypes exhaust, air raid cai, ddm hid, jlt lower control arms, Bama 93r tune, sway bars, lowering springs.
MACH I Member

The tire life highly depends on what tire you go with. The OEM summer only tires that came with my car have an average life of 15k miles. I managed to squeeze 19k miles (really hard use, including road tracking and autocrossing) because I rotated lots - square setup.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports (PSS) are all the rave of performance summer tires right now because they have one of the best all around grip of any summer tire and have a 30k mile warranty! It's almost unheard of for a performance summer tire. So really, you are getting an unbelievable summer tire for the price ($1070 shipped to my door for 245/40-19's - much cheaper for 17's).

I've heard not the best things about those Sumitomos. In both poor traction for a summer only tire and poor sidewall flex.

If you consider only the life of the PSS, it's the best bang for buck summer tire out.

With AutoX, you can run a 18x8 or a 19x8.5 wheel and get away with stock class still since they were factory wheel size options.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member

Quote:
Michelin Pilot Super Sports (PSS) are all the rave of performance summer tires right now because they have one of the best all around grip of any summer tire and have a 30k mile warranty! It's almost unheard of for a performance summer tire. So really, you are getting an unbelievable summer tire for the price ($1070 shipped to my door for 245/40-19's - much cheaper for 17's).

With AutoX, you can run a 18x8 or a 19x8.5 wheel and get away with stock class still since they were factory wheel size options.
Two problems:

Pilot super sports do not come in a logical size for a 17x7 wheel on a mustang. The closest is 245 45 R17.

If you change wheel size, you can no longer run in the SCCA stock class unless you change everything to be a pony package, MCA, or a performance package car including stupid trim and options like traction control calibrations and/or heated leather seats.

PONY Member

Top rated performance tires in size 235/55R17

Continental*ExtremeContact DWS

Dunlop*SP Sport Maxx TT

Firestone*Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

General*G-MAX AS-03

Kumho*Ecsta 4X

These tires are all rated higher than the Sumitomo HTR Z III

PONY Member

Expensive but solid performance tires: Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Very affordable, and highly rated performance tires: Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page