Mods for 2013 Base V6 Auto - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Mods for 2013 Base V6 Auto

Getting my car today, since I receive more then expected for my trade off I want to get some mods performance wise. Only have 700$ but will gradually add to my budget. I'm a total newbie so I would like to know what you guys would suggest. I don't have the pony package so the list might be long. (i.e. should i change the tires?)

Would starting with a tuner and 3.75 gear be a good start?

I also thought getting an Air Cold Air intake since it seems easy to install and seem to add some hp and improve gas mileage.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012
Apprentice

tuner and gears!~

Congrats on the new stang! I still tell new stang owners and modders that the best thing to start with is the tuner, I have the SCT device with BAMA tunes but there are others. It will be a base for all future mods and has free tunes for life.

Gears are a great start too but require a tune. I have 3.55s and many ppl go with 3.73s. They are great for getting into that torque curve sooner and, even though do not add actual rwhp, will increase your 0-60 times and 1/8 and 1/4 mile times.

If you want to spend all that $700 now, get a tuner and gears (just remember you will need an install and bearing kit with the gears). Install on the gears will be around $300-$400 *in most cases

2012 Mustang 3.7L, 6M- UX
93H- Dynomax cat-back- frpp 3.55- JLT cai- BBK o/r Xpipe
Stack strut bar- Eibach Pros- BMR lca- Shelby uca
J&M Panhard- Black billet grilles- Stillen lip- Lamin-X tints
Blackout decklid- Steeda shifter bushing bracket
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffire View Post
Getting my car today, since I receive more then expected for my trade off I want to get some mods performance wise. Only have 700$ but will gradually add to my budget. I'm a total newbie so I would like to know what you guys would suggest. I don't have the pony package so the list might be long. (i.e. should i change the tires?)

I also thought getting an Air Cold Air intake since it seems easy to install and seem to add some hp and improve gas mileage.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversixxer View Post
Congrats on the new stang! I still tell new stang owners and modders that the best thing to start with is the tuner, I have the SCT device with BAMA tunes but there are others. It will be a base for all future mods and has free tunes for life.

Gears are a great start too but require a tune. I have 3.55s and many ppl go with 3.73s. They are great for getting into that torque curve sooner and, even though do not add actual rwhp, will increase your 0-60 times and 1/8 and 1/4 mile times.

If you want to spend all that $700 now, get a tuner and gears (just remember you will need an install and bearing kit with the gears). Install on the gears will be around $300-$400 *in most cases
Daffire,

Welcome to AFM and Congratulations on the new ride! The 11+ V6's are completely new animals and have a lot of potential. CAI/Tune and Gears are always my top 3 mods and first on the list, in my opinion!

With that set up on your sixxer you'll easily break into the mid to low 13's with some decent driving. Silversixxer nailed all the details when doing gears you'll need a install and bearing kit( yours may be okay if the cars got very low miles). The speedo will be off because of the new gear ratio, but we can correct that within the tune for you!

I hope this helps, best of luck with your car. Let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012
Apprentice

Quote:

Thanks.

Welcome

Do you want to keep your entire warranty intact? Don't mod performance stuff. If you don't care: see below

Tune
Gears
CAI
Full Exhaust (Headers, X-pipe, etc.)
Driveshaft
Wider, stickier tires

Those will give you the absolute best bang for your buck, and combined will cost you between 2000-3000 depending on installation rates.

Be warned - once you start you will not be able to stop modding.

Good luck!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for your replys guys. I will get the gear and tuner first for sure, the dealership does it here, might cost more but less chance of having my warranty voided. Seems like since it's a 2013 there is less parts available so i think I'll keep on putting money on the side and do the modifications after winter.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012
PONY Member

You are not limited on MOD's for the 3.7 then engine has been out since the 2011 utilize sites like american muscle . com and such. The tuner you get from the dealer will most likely be FORD's tuner the Pro-Cal. It doesn't offer as much gains as the SCT from AM would but, you keep your warranty intact. Also the dealer charges more MOST of the time for parts as well as installs. Do your homeowork is all I would say. And we (the forum members) will be happy to help.

Enjoy your new Stang'!

2015 Mustang Eco Boost- Current

2010 Mustang GT Premium-Traded

2009 Mustang GT Premium-Traded
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012
Apprentice

Ford will charge you an arm and a leg

Quote:
Thanks for your replys guys. I will get the gear and tuner first for sure, the dealership does it here, might cost more but less chance of having my warranty voided. Seems like since it's a 2013 there is less parts available so i think I'll keep on putting money on the side and do the modifications after winter.
I will warn you, the gears and install along with the tuner from Ford will cost you twice, if not more, than getting an aftermarket one from say AM.

When I got my 2012, I asked the dealer if they would install the 3.31 gears on it from the PP. He said labor was about $1000. I turned around and got in the stang and left. lol

2012 Mustang 3.7L, 6M- UX
93H- Dynomax cat-back- frpp 3.55- JLT cai- BBK o/r Xpipe
Stack strut bar- Eibach Pros- BMR lca- Shelby uca
J&M Panhard- Black billet grilles- Stillen lip- Lamin-X tints
Blackout decklid- Steeda shifter bushing bracket
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012
PONY Member

Buy a new steering wheel from me Gt500 one great quality

Borla catback s-type Borla Long tube off road x pipe
Jlt carbon fiber intake
BBK TB 3.73 gears
pro kit Eibach adj sway bars
J&M panhard bar J&M extreme lower control arm
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555
DSS Aluminum 3.5
Shelby Baer 6P Brakes
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Spoke with the dealer, there shouldn't be any problem with the mods except if they are the direct cause for a problem and they will make arrengement if ever that would happen. I'm getting a bama tune and CAI from AM by the end of the week since it's an easy mod. Ford doesn't have anything interesting on that point. Next year i'll change the gear for a 3.73 and have it install by ford. They have it so it should be fine with the warranty.

PONY Member

Quote:
Spoke with the dealer, there shouldn't be any problem with the mods except if they are the direct cause for a problem and they will make arrengement if ever that would happen. I'm getting a bama tune and CAI from AM by the end of the week since it's an easy mod. Ford doesn't have anything interesting on that point. Next year i'll change the gear for a 3.73 and have it install by ford. They have it so it should be fine with the warranty.
be prepared to pay 400+ for installation they charge so much

Borla catback s-type Borla Long tube off road x pipe
Jlt carbon fiber intake
BBK TB 3.73 gears
pro kit Eibach adj sway bars
J&M panhard bar J&M extreme lower control arm
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555
DSS Aluminum 3.5
Shelby Baer 6P Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page