3.7 vs 4.6 Mod for Mod? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

Heres a vid referring back to my earlier post. I wasn't going to ever load it due to its quality, and my in-laws wonderful commentary, but I was asked over on SVTP how the 3vs and 3-7s match up.

PLEASE excuse the cellphone quality vid that looks like it was recorded by a couple drunks. :kooky:

2012 3.7l v6 m6 Mustang vs. 3v s197 m5 Mustang - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
The original post was about RWHP and advantage in a race. A drag race to be specific. Talking about motors, not chassis/suspension/ drivetrain development. 3.7 v6 vs 4.6 v8 was the way i read it.
We can debate all we wish. There is a good reason why ALL the fastest drag cars in every class and combination use a V8 for a power plant.
One need not be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to figure that out.
I was under the impression that it was about why the 3.7 has better time slips on avg mod for mod than the 4.6 even though the 4.6 puts out more power on a dyno mod for mod. My mistake

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
I was under the impression that it was about why the 3.7 has better time slips on avg mod for mod than the 4.6 even though the 4.6 puts out more power on a dyno mod for mod. My mistake

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
I was addressing both concerns. They seem to be about dead even in performance despite the 4.6's slightly higher advantage. I wonder how close we are to matching the 4.6 or soon exceeding NA output with emerging bolt-on's?

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I suppose for now we just wait and see.
Apprentice

Has anybody run both engines on the same dyno? I want to see a direct comparison of the two engines either stock or with identical mods. You can't just look at peak horsepower because that only happens at one point in time, you have to look at the whole curve.
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
Don't forget there are a ton of 2v 4.6's running around. Some of those cars are bolt-on beast. And the crammed ones are just plain sick. Just say all things being equal, an auto 4.6 vs auto 3.7. It would still come down too the driver. But let's change the style of racing. A road course would IMO would give the advantage to the 3.7. Since most of the time, you would be closer to the beginning of its power band.
Banned

one thing your not taking into consideration is for bolt on's the 4.6 has more available that the 3.7. however with the advancements we have made with finding hidden horsepower in the stock parts and yes they do need work to make them perform but, untill we have the same amount of parts available it can't really be a direct comparison.now when we have roots type blowers available and cam's and such then we can compare them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page