Rear End Clunk - Sway Bar Link Part Help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Rear End Clunk - Sway Bar Link Part Help

Got the rear end clunk in my 2012 MCA V-6, 33,000 miles, D55 Brembo lowering springs on rear was only mod. To try and remedy the clunk, I replaced LCA with GT500 set and I greased and re-torqued sway bar links and mounts. This reduced the occurrences of the clunk, but did not get rid of it completely.

I went to local dealer and ordered two replacement sway bar links. They came in, but appear to be incorrect parts. The end of the link which slides onto the sway bar seems to be about 4mm too small, compared to 22mm diameter of old link.

I have left the sway bar off the car while I try and find the correct part. Good news is, the clunk is gone. Bad new is, Ford dealer has no idea what part I need.

Comparing the two links, I notice the sleeve on the end of the link which mounts to the chassis is centered on the new link and protrudes past the link and rubber bushing on both sides. On the old link, the sleeve sat flush on one end. Seems this would allow metal to metal contact and create the clunk over small bumps as the rear suspension binds.

So, after all this rambling, I guess I am looking for two things:

First, anyone run into the issue of having to figure out which link is needed for a 22mm rear sway bar? How did you resolve it.

Next, anyone replace the links and find the centered sleeve cured the clunk.

Efforts here are trying to fight taking car in and fighting for warranty work and trying to avoid spending $300.00 on an aftermarket sway bar and links.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013
Beast3.7

I ended up buying the BMR rear sway bar end links. They are designed for the 22mm sway bar and made out of thick billet aluminum. They are worth the $100 or so I paid. They quieted down the rear but also helped in reducing lateral movement. I didn't feel I needed a thicker rear sway bar although I did get a thicker one for the front. Very happy with the results. :beer:

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013
PONY Member

My dealership got the right links the first time. Tell them to try again.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
I ended up buying the BMR rear sway bar end links. They are designed for the 22mm sway bar and made out of thick billet aluminum. They are worth the $100 or so I paid. They quieted down the rear but also helped in reducing lateral movement. I didn't feel I needed a thicker rear sway bar although I did get a thicker one for the front. Very happy with the results. :beer:
X2

2005 - 2012 Mustang GT | Sway Bar Kits | SB025 - Sway Bar End Links, Rear, Billet Aluminum | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...pension-2.html

2012 Mustang V6 - Pony Package - 3.31
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Clunk is gone (I hope permanently)

Following up. Took a while for the weather and work to cooperate so I could get back fixing the clunk. I was ready to order the BMR links, but went back to dealer to return originally ordered OEM links (Motorcraft MEF-265). Parts guy suggested ordering #MEF-264 which are the GT links. When they came in, they were marked as 24mm, but measuring the ID of the bar end bushings, they measured 22mm, the same measurement of the OD of my bar. This also matched the ID of my old bushings. Again, the frame mount bushing was centered in the link, instead of offset as shown for OEM link in photo of original post.

Reinstalled the sway bar this morning, torqued everything up and went out for a test drive. Temperatures outside are about 30 degrees. The clunk seemed to be worse in colder temperatures. I got no clunk at all and am encouraged the change in design with the center frame mount bushing have corrected the problem. Thanks to those who posted. Hope someone experiencing same issue finds this helpful.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013
Rookie

I've got the same issue I think.... a clunk (like a block of wood in the rear quarter panel) when I go over sharp bumps. Definitely sounds like something loose. (2012 V6 Base)

Think this is the sway bar end issue?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013
Rookie

Dealer fixed it this morning... it was the sway bar end links. They replaced both of them even though only one was bad.

Anyone know if the replacements are any better/redesigned from the originals?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Funny because the BMR website does not list any compatible for 2010 and up !

Have they change anything since 2010 ?

2013 Sterling Grey GT/CS Convertible with Electronic package
Ordered 8/16/2012 / Built: 10/11/2012 / Delivered: 10/31/2012

Pervious ride:
Supercharged 2005 V6 Convertible Mineral Grey, 320 RWHP X-Charger Xtreme 2.6 #150 with 3.73 8.8" rear, Dual exhaust, MGW Shifter
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014
Site Sponsor

Our SB025 as pictured above ^ (very nice parts, btw) do not fit ANY 2005-2010 Mustangs....V6/GT or GT500.

They are made to fit our SB023 Sway-Bar....which is 22mm.

It so happens that some of the V6 cars come standard (2011+) with 22mm Sway-Bars....so our links work wonderfully with them.

As soon as I found out that the V6 cars came with a 22mm bar, I had a guy bring his car to my home and I installed the links:

(This was before we changed the design of the body and anodized them black) - but the mounts are the same;

SO, yes...if you have a 2011+ V6 Mustang....with a 22mm Sway Bar, our SB025 Links are an excellent upgrade.

If you guys have any questions, dont hesitate to call me.

Enjoy!

Dylan Abbott
[email protected]

www.bmrsuspension.com

VISIT FOR PRODUCT ADVICE, TECH AND SUPPORT ON FACEBOOK. www.facebook.com/BMRMustangSupport
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
Our SB025 as pictured above ^ (very nice parts, btw) do not fit ANY 2005-2010 Mustangs....V6/GT or GT500.

They are made to fit our SB023 Sway-Bar....which is 22mm.

It so happens that some of the V6 cars come standard (2011+) with 22mm Sway-Bars....so our links work wonderfully with them.

As soon as I found out that the V6 cars came with a 22mm bar, I had a guy bring his car to my home and I installed the links:

(This was before we changed the design of the body and anodized them black) - but the mounts are the same;

SO, yes...if you have a 2011+ V6 Mustang....with a 22mm Sway Bar, our SB025 Links are an excellent upgrade.

If you guys have any questions, dont hesitate to call me.

Enjoy!
What about 2011 and up GT's ? Would they fit ? what size do they use ?

Pervious ride:
Supercharged 2005 V6 Convertible Mineral Grey, 320 RWHP X-Charger Xtreme 2.6 #150 with 3.73 8.8" rear, Dual exhaust, MGW Shifter
Site Sponsor

No, the GT's have 23 and 24mm bars.

Dylan Abbott
[email protected]

www.bmrsuspension.com

VISIT FOR PRODUCT ADVICE, TECH AND SUPPORT ON FACEBOOK. www.facebook.com/BMRMustangSupport
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
No, the GT's have 23 and 24mm bars.
So there no bushing that would fit that size ?

Pervious ride:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page