Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011 V6 - losing throttle while driving wrench light on. Anyone else have this issue?

25K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  FiK 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 V6 Auto with 36800 miles on it. Yesterday I was driving my V6'er in my neighborhood and the car felt like it was starting to die. I lost throttle and couldn't accelerate. I rolled to the side of the road with the Wrench light on and the car running really rough. I restarted the car and was able to drive home. I looked up this problem online and some folks restarted their car and the problem went away. I decided I'd drive it to work today. Halfway to work the car did the same thing. No throttle, wrench light on, car running rough. I could shift the gears, but the throttle was still non-responsive. I am finding it humorous that this is happening 800 miles past my factory warranty expiration. I bought the car certified pre-owned 2 years ago almost to the day. I'm hoping Ford will cover the cost of repairs.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did the dealer do to fix the problem?

#31 ·
The thing happened to me last month. I pulled over and killed it then started up again and drove back to work. After searching the web and using the sct tuner to read the code p2011 I think. It was the one associated tps. So I figure I would swing by the dealer and pick up a new part only to find out its the whole throttle body or nothing $300+ so I tell them ill think about it and fall back to plan b which was something else I read about and got some tb cleaner and went home and got started on my project. Ok, ready for this? Me, 44 yo man that should know better gets the little red tube from the cleaner shot down in the intake. So I remove the intake praying it did not make it pass the upper intake and after some shaking the little red tube fell out. After I cleaned the tb and the intake I put her all back together and had no issues since. Bama 93p tune, Airaid intake with 10.9k miles. If it turns out to be tb issue I'm with the other poster and will get the bbk tb.

#34 ·
I had this happen the second day after I purchased my brand new 2012. I had stopped at a view stop in the blue ridge mountains overlook. When I got back in the car and started it, the engine ran rough, showed the wrench in the dash and wouldn't accelerate. I shut the car off, opened the door and took out the key, closed the door, started it up and hasn't done it again since. I now have over 35,000 miles on it with no other problems.

#36 ·
This is all great info folks. Deysha, I've been in contact with the dealership twice a day. So far they can't figure it out. If it is the throttle body, I'll order the BBK and do it myself. So far, they can't tell me anything. They said it was probably a cold start issue and they haven't replicated it yet. I'll give them until tonight to come up with something then I'll pass the info all of you have provided me and see what they think. It's kind of frustrating.

#37 ·
^ Same old story..they can never replicate it! Doesn't matter how often it had happened before you brought it in!

#38 ·
Guys I feel like I'm writing a very uneventful story here. As of last night, the dealer still couldn't reproduce the problem. This is strange to say the least. They wanted to keep it for another day to try the cold start theory this morning. We'll see what happens. Is it time to trade it in for a 5.0???? :)

I'll update as I know more.

#40 ·
New Update:
Thanks to Deysha it seems the dealership is going to get me a loaner car at no cost to me. This has nothing to do with my car however. :)
They are also thinking it's the throttle body which isn't covered under warranty, but the ford rep that called me said we can work something out if it ends up being the issue. So I am at least having things go in a better direction. I guess this is a mystery problem.

G
#42 ·
It looks like dealership spoke with Ford and Ford has told them that the Throttle body is the issue and that codes won't necessarily get logged or thrown . Again thanks to Deysha's escalation Ford is going to help cover a lot of the cost since it's not covered under warranty. Now they get to work on my tranny 1st to 2nd bump issue. :)
You’re very welcome! Thanks for the updates!

Deysha

#41 ·
It looks like dealership spoke with Ford and Ford has told them that the Throttle body is the issue and that codes won't necessarily get logged or thrown . Again thanks to Deysha's escalation Ford is going to help cover a lot of the cost since it's not covered under warranty. Now they get to work on my tranny 1st to 2nd bump issue. :)

#43 ·
Nice i wish my dealer was that good when i took my car there for cold tick noise when you first start the car. They said they cant hear anything and there is nothing wrong with it car sat there for 3 days. I'm just waiting for something else to break.

#45 ·
I'll certainly be taking it back if the problem arises again. They wanted to wait on the transmission bump issue because they reset the PCM. Only problem with that was not 5 mins out of the parking lot, I felt the bump, but not as harsh as I usually do. Since I still have a power train warranty, I'll drive it for a bit to see if the bump goes away. If not, I'm bringing it back.

#46 ·
My mustang did this exact thing. Mine died on me, and the wrench light was on, Sunday on the way to fill up. I blew it off as running on fumes as I was under 15 miles on my gauge. No issues after I filled up.

Today, Tuesday, I was on a ramp between 2 highways and I lost power and my wrench light came on, again! Luckily I was going fast enough that I rolled over and down to the feeder and finally re-started it and limped to my house about 10 miles away. It died one more time heading to the house.

I am headed to my mechanic tomorrow morning to have him run the codes. I am at 50,800 miles so I would assume no love from the dealer plus the mechanic I go to is great and very honest.

I bought my car new in 2010 and it is stock all the way as I was waiting on my warranty to expire.

#49 ·
I had code P2068-fuel gauge tank sensor B circuit high.

My mechanic sent me over to the dealer as he didn't feel comfortable trying to diagnose this. I went to the dealer and told them the code and about the wrench light. The service advisor seems to think the throttle body is failing because of the "limp home mode". There were 12 cars in front of me so I have a rental and waiting on their call.

#52 ·
I am getting no where fast with Mac Haik Ford in Houston. I sent an email and left 2 voice mail's with no return call yesterday. I then called the service director just before they closed. He said the service advisor was off and someone should have called me. They just got to my car yesterday afternoon ( a day and half after I dropped it off) and they needed more info. Well, how about a call? He said he would call me this morning but of course no call. And they have me on the hook for a rental for $55 plus taxes....on day 3 now.

#54 ·
I will connect with her...thanks for the idea.

They finally called me and said they got no code and then I told them to call my mechanic. They spoke to my mechanic and they aren't sure why my car has the P2068 code and they want to try and re-create my issues.

I have a feeling they didn't really look at my car yesterday or they would have actually called me.

#55 ·
I had to call the service director again. The advisor I had didn't return my 2 calls this afternoon...his customer service is horrible.

They seem to think it is my throttle body even though the code doesn't dictate that. I really have no choice but to have them replace it as I am racking up rental fees like crazy. He did say that if this doesn't fix my problem that he will work with whatever is causing it. Yeah, can I get that in writing?

It seems they have issues with the throttle bodies failing as he mentioned they are seeing a lot of them lately. Great....at least I will have 12 month warranty on my new one.

I hope they have me fill out the survey. I knew I should have gone to where I bought my car but I was much closer to this one. facepalm.gif

#56 ·
As advised contact Deysha, she`s "good people". She might even have the clout to get your dealer to eat some if not all of the rental fees you are racking up.

#58 ·
Well I got my car back. I am $785 lighter in my bank account - that hurt's. They didn't do anything for me....no discount on the parts or rental.

No survey for me to fill out. I sure hope they send me one via email. The only thing left for me at this point is to let them know where they need to improve and to warn others to not use their service. Actually, I would not recommend Mac Haik at all. Their sales tactics are old school with the 4 square game. I walked out on them and got a great deal / customer service with AutoNation Ford Katy the following day.

#63 ·
It was just the throttle body.

They nailed me for $195.00 for the rental (3 days - 2 of which they never called me after numerous calls /email).

The throttle body was $575.00 or close to it. I have the invoice at home. They checked for warranty coverage and I had no luck there.

#65 ·
Two days ago I got the orange wrench warning light and the car went into "Limp" mode. I was lucky to pull over with no problem. After I shut off the car and restarted everything seemed okay. I took the car today to the Ford dealership and they replaced the throttle body. The notes on the invoice says "P2111 present and etb sticks closed at times. I replaced the etb assy to correct this concern. No other faults present". I had the extended service plan so I only paid for the deductible.

#67 ·
I'm a technician in Kansas City trying to duplicate and solve this very issue. No codes, no diagnostic help on any of the major sites like mitchell or identifix. I've gotten the car to do it 1 time, but I made a rookie mistake and didn't take a scan tool with me so I could record the event happening. The wrench light came on, it wouldn't accelerate, and it idled really rough. As soon as I shut it off and started it back up, it ran fine and I can't get it to it again. Those of you who replaced the throttle body, have you had any more issues with it? Did that fix it?

#68 ·
Diagnosing CEL and/or obscure symptoms? Always list all known mods (if any apply)!

The only time I had a limp was when (as mentioned before) my JLT oil catch can lines melted and created a vacuum leak. Popped open the hood and looked around, found the leak (ever slight whistle). In a twist of fate, I had the old straight-through line in the trunk, swapped it in, emailed JLT, got replacement fitting/hose in two days, and haven't had any problems since.

Hope it's as easy a fix for everyone else from here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.