Automatic 6R80 Switch = SPORT MODE not Hill Assist !!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Exclamation Automatic 6R80 Switch = SPORT MODE not Hill Assist !!!

The 6R80 (Auto Trans) is very similar to the ZF 6 Speed Automatics used in BMWs and Jaquars.

Ford calls the button on the handle "Hill Assist". BMW and Jaguar have switches on the console and they call theirs..... "SPORT MODE". I've owned several automatic BMWs and have used these feature a lot! Can you say FUN!

I can't believe Ford messed up by NOT calling this function "SPORT MODE". What bunch of knuckleheads in their Marketing Division.

Quote:
The new Ford 6R80 six-speed automatic transmission has been extensively tuned to deliver smooth, quick shifts almost imperceptibly to the driver, reinforcing the car-like refinement of the new Ranger.

In Normal mode, the calibration focuses on comfort and fuel economy. For sportier driving, a quick flick of the shifter changes the transmission into Sport mode. This provides later shift points and the driver can manually select gears through a forward (downshift) or rearward (upshift) movement.
Quote:
ZF 6HP26 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ZF 6HP26

Ford has developed their own version based off this exact platform called the 6r60 and 6r80. Therefore certain Ford vehicles will not be listed.*
Quote:
Ford 6R transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6R Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Production 2005–present
Model years 2005–present
Predecessor Ford AOD
Class 6-speed longitudinal automatic transmission

Related ZF 6HP26

The 6R is a six-speed automatic transmission for longitudinal engine placement in rear-wheel drive vehicles. It is based on the ZF 6HP26 transmission[1] and is built under license by the Ford Motor Company at its Livonia Transmission plant in Livonia, Michigan. The 6R debuted in 2005 in the 2006 model year Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer.

[edit] 6R80Applications:

2008-present Ford Expedition
2008-present Lincoln Navigator
2008-present Ford Explorer
2007-present Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2008-present Mercury Mountaineer
2009-present Ford F-150
2011 Ford Territory (SZ-series TCDi model)
2011-present Ford Mustang V6, GT 2011-present Ford Ranger 2.2L, 3.2L

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thumbs up

Here's a nice write up one of our members did in the past on automatics. Good read!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...right-way.html

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thumbs up

Now get out that and Start using your SPORT MODE and have FUN !!! :laughlitt

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Ford calls the button on the handle "Hill Assist". BMW and Jaguar have switches on the console and they call theirs..... "SPORT MODE". I've owned several automatic BMWs and have used these feature a lot! Can you say FUN!

I can't believe Ford messed up by NOT calling this function "SPORT MODE". What bunch of knuckleheads in their Marketing Division.
BTW, BMW?Jaguar call driving with the SportMode OFF (Normal position) the Economy mode.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013
PONY Member

On my 2013 it says "Sport Mode" in the center section when I put the shifter all the way back into the "S". The owners manual doesn't say anything about "hill assist" for the automatic (I think it does for the manual transmission though)

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
On my 2013 it says "Sport Mode" in the center section when I put the shifter all the way back into the "S". The owners manual doesn't say anything about "hill assist" for the automatic (I think it does for the manual transmission though)
Well, speaking for the manual crowd, I think hill assist was introduced in the '13 M.Y.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, supposedly ours is more intended for sport driving with the different programming. I know when I go wot in it...it'll wait quite a while before upshifting and getting back to normal driving.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Yeah, supposedly ours is more intended for sport driving with the different programming. I know when I go wot in it...it'll wait quite a while before upshifting and getting back to normal driving.
That's exactly was '11-'12 A6 Hill Assist does. Locks out 6th gear, downshifts when braking, and holds gears longer.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Here's a nice write up one of our members did in the past on automatics. Good read!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...right-way.html

That other thread is full of errors, also if you read the whole thing others pointed some of them out. Also Hill Assist is not Sport Mode, Sport Mode also changes steering effort allows the driver to use the +/- selector and shifts more aggressively. And in reading the 11/12 manuals Hill Assist only eliminates 6th gear, and holds the lower gears longer. Does not change shift firmness, steering, etc... It does help a little, but at best it is Partial Sport Mode. I agree use it, and do the fuse #47 trick, but also don't kid yourself.
New 2013 Ford Mustang Delivers Boost of Performance, Style and Technology with More Power, New Design, Driver Tools | Ford Motor Company Newsroom
JeffOden

Red is right, it's not sport mode at all, different programing. But it does help a little. And that other thread is just flat out..., well, just don't waste much of your time on it.
Ford cut a lot of corners on this car to save money, but they didn't miss out on marketing, they do that extremely well. If it were actually sport mode that's what they would have sold it as.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
They must have made a change starting in 13.

Can you post up a pic of console "S" position ? My 2012 does not have the "S".
JeffOden

Manuals have Hill Start Assist, it holds the brakes while you disengage the clutch. Keeps you from rolling back on a hill start. It can be disabled.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
Manuals have Hill Start Assist, it holds the brakes while you disengage the clutch. Keeps you from rolling back on a hill start. It can be disabled.
Guess they started that in 13. My hill assist is my left foot lol. Who needs brakes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
Also Hill Assist is not Sport Mode, Sport Mode also changes steering effort allows the driver to use the +/- selector and shifts more aggressively.

And in reading the 11/12 manuals Hill Assist only eliminates 6th gear, and holds the lower gears longer. Does not change shift firmness, steering, etc... It does help a little, but at best it is Partial Sport Mode. I agree use it, and do the fuse #47 trick, but also don't kid yourself.

New 2013 Ford Mustang Delivers Boost of Performance, Style and Technology with More Power, New Design, Driver Tools | Ford Motor Company Newsroom
Right....."Partial SportMode then. Steering/Suspension changes are not made since our cars don't have that capability.

What is missing here is that for 2013, this option HAS CHANGED !

11/12s obviously do NOT have this!

Quote:
Quote:
The new (2013/2014) Mustang can be specified with a six-speed SelectShift Automatic™ transmission. This advanced control strategy offers the driver a choice between fully automatic operation and manual control. The system is controlled with a selector button on the side of the shifter. The shifter has been upgraded for 2013 with a more modern style and improved accessibility.

“This lets owners take an automatic out on a track day or whenever they want to drive sportier, and lets them have the convenience of switching to manual control,” said Tom Barnes, vehicle engineering manager for Mustang. “This is an improvement in our powertrain offerings that delivers a sporty yet smooth experience.”

Unlike some competitive transmissions, SelectShift won’t second-guess the driver with an override shift. With SelectShift, manual control is truly manually controlled, allowing the driver to hold a gear right up to redline if desired
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The question I have now is CAN the 11/12s be UPGRADED to have the SelectShift button ?

What else did Ford change along with the SelectShift button ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hill assist

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page