Got frpp 3.73 put in today... hearing faint gear howl - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
The kit I bought was the installation kit + bearing kit for 89.99. On the same exact kit, there was ANOTHER drop down box for "2010+ bearing" so I called them and asked them what was going on and if I needed to pay 89.99 install/bearing kit PLUS another 59.99 for the 2010+ bearing. The representative Duncan said I was good to go and that the correct bearing was included in that kit for 89.99 without needing to buy the drop down bearing. This is the kit I bought- Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit (8.8in) R8.8RMK - Free Shipping!

Notice how they charge you 59.99 for the bearing, and 29.99 for the install kit. I asked if I had to check the drop down box for the 2010+ bearing, he said no, the bearing included in this base kit was the correct one for my 2011 v6.

I swear that if the bearing is causing these decel vibrations and whine, AM is going to have a HUGE S***STORM on their hands and will be paying for the labor to fix it as well as my gear kit for this false information.
Well, that kit you have listed can't possibly have the late bearing in it or else that isn't the correct picture. For it to work like you said they told you it would have to have two inner bearings in the kit and the picture shows only one.

I'd be looking into whether the right bearing was installed or not or if they did like I said in the above post and installed the early bearing with the original late race.

Fortunately for me, my car came from the factory with 3.73's in it and covered under the warranty!
_

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Well, that kit you have listed can't possibly have the late bearing in it or else that isn't the correct picture. For it to work like you said they told you it would have to have two inner bearings in the kit and the picture shows only one.

I'd be looking into whether the right bearing was installed or not or if they did like I said in the above post and installed the early bearing with the original late race.

Fortunately for me, my car came from the factory with 3.73's in it and covered under the warranty!
_
I am 80% sure what's in that picture is what was included in the box I received and brought to my installer. Is the picture showing the correct bearing?

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
I am 80% sure what's in that picture is what was included in the box I received and brought to my installer. Is the picture showing the correct bearing?
Impossible to tell because there is only a small difference in the thickness of the inner bearing race between the early and late bearing.

But, just the way the ad is worded and they way they have the optional bearing listed makes me believe that to get the late bearing you have to order it from the drop down menu separately. This is how others in the past had to do to get the correct one.

Now, like I said, if your installer replaced the outer race of that inner bearing that fits into the axle housing then the early bearing should work. This is not something that most installers do as it is sometimes a real PITA to change.

GT Member

I've heard that some shops are using Yukon gears now because the FRPP stuff is becoming problematic.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
PONY Member

I would like to have 3.73 rear end gears, but I have lost track of how many threads there are like this one, where things have ended up badly.

I will never understand why Ford doesn't make 3.73s an option in the V6. The gears are right there. If Ford is after fuel mileage, my Perf Pac car with the 19" Summer Onlys, will do 32 mpg if I go slow (speed limit) and easy.

Don't the "Powers that Be" at Ford, ever read internet forums?

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerJerney View Post
I would like to have 3.73 rear end gears, but I have lost track of how many threads there are like this one, where things have ended up badly.

I will never understand why Ford doesn't make 3.73s an option in the V6. The gears are right there. If Ford is after fuel mileage, my Perf Pac car with the 19" Summer Onlys, will do 32 mpg if I go slow (speed limit) and easy.

Its not a huge whine that other people have described in their threads. Mine can be barely heard. Its one of those things where if you aren't paying attention, you might not hear the sound.

But if you are and you start hearing it, it gets annoying. Especially if you aren't listening to anything and have windows up and sound sensitive like i am. Either way, cant do anything till my appointment on Tuesday. Hopefully it gets fixed, and doesn't get worse
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerJerney View Post

The gears are very nice, and they are worth what I paid for them for sure. The 2.73's are just not bearable. I'd rather have smooth and powerful acceleration with a faint whine that can barely be heard over regular road noise, than have to deal one more day with 2.73 gears.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Impossible to tell because there is only a small difference in the thickness of the inner bearing race between the early and late bearing.

But, just the way the ad is worded and they way they have the optional bearing listed makes me believe that to get the late bearing you have to order it from the drop down menu separately. This is how others in the past had to do to get the correct one.

Now, like I said, if your installer replaced the outer race of that inner bearing that fits into the axle housing then the early bearing should work. This is not something that most installers do as it is sometimes a real PITA to change.
I would have done the drop down, but it didn't make any sense to me to pay for two bearing sets. I see AM hasn't chimed in on this yet.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
I would have done the drop down, but it didn't make any sense to me to pay for two bearing sets. I see AM hasn't chimed in on this yet.
You wouldn't have been paying for two bearing sets, just the extra inner pinion bearing for the later model that isn't in the kit.

And there are cheaper places to get the bearing from than A/M, even the dealer sells it cheaper.

And there has been a conspicuous absence of A/M reps posting lately here.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srizo View Post
Are you planning to change your DS?
Already done, sort of. Read up:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ing-shape.html

Quote:
My understanding is the early bearing will work so long as you replace the race in the housing with the early one too. The race comes with the bearing but most guys don't go through the hassle of getting the old race out and the new one seated in the housing, they just reuse the old race and install the bearing on the pinion.
This is correct. Using the fatter, older style bearing without changing the race to match results in disaster. This did happen to someone on here, I think I remember reading about it. The techs at my friendly dealership inform me as we speak that they've seen this happen several times and it usually destroys the housing.

On this (round #5) of differential set up, I will be using all Ford OE bearings including the "correct" skinnier inner pinion bearing just for the hell of it.
I won't have my car back (still) for a few more days as they had to order out a new clutch and flywheel since I managed to destroy the stupid spring that holds the dual mass together.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7, M6, 101A, security package, built 5/3/11.
Mods: The list is long, like WRXified's winky used to be.

Other junk: 1994 Z28 conv LT1 A4 - 1965 Custom 2dr 390 M4 - 1962 Galaxie 4dr 427 A3 - 1979 Firebird Formula EV (work in progress) - 1967 Austin Healy Sprite (basket case)
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbleedBlue View Post

This is correct. Using the fatter, older style bearing without changing the race to match results in disaster. This did happen to someone on here, I think I remember reading about it. The techs at my friendly dealership inform me as we speak that they've seen this happen several times and it usually destroys the housing.

On this (round #5) of differential set up, I will be using all Ford OE bearings including the "correct" skinnier inner pinion bearing just for the hell of it.
I won't have my car back (still) for a few more days as they had to order out a new clutch and flywheel since I managed to destroy the stupid spring that holds the dual mass together.
Disaster, meaning? Also, AM should provide a kit that does NOT have the bearings we don't need and INCLUDE the bearings we DO need for 89.99, without having to buy the 89.99 kit PLUS another 59.99 for the correct bearing. That's complete crap.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbleedBlue View Post

My understanding was that the inner race on the later bearing was wider and using the earlier bearing meant that you had to use an excessive amount of shims to get the setup corrected.

???

Quote:
Disaster, meaning? Also, AM should provide a kit that does NOT have the bearings we don't need and INCLUDE the bearings we DO need for 89.99, without having to buy the 89.99 kit PLUS another 59.99 for the correct bearing. That's complete crap.
A/M doesn't make the bearing kits, they are just reselling kits from a supplier so you get what they get.

What they aren't doing very well is making it clear that you need the different bearing for the later cars. Like when the guy you talked to there told you you didn't have to get the alternative bearing.

But, as has been said, if the installer changes the bearing race in the axle housing to match the bearing then it's a non-issue.
_

PONY Member

Hmm, i've only seen a handful of bad experiences with gear changes on this forum. I will give the installer all of the parts to replace everything new with the gear install if needed. Considering it's a few hundred just to crack the case back open, you better believe it, $59.99 or not.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

What should I be looking out for in the event they did not change the bearing race and used the old style bearing? Right now all I have is a very faint (almost nonexistant) whine and a decel vibration at around 70-75 mph or 2200-2400 RPM's that was not there with the 2.73's. Installer chalked all that up to a weak factory driveshaft and the way the gears are made. It hasn't been a real big issue anymore tbh

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
What should I be looking out for in the event they did not change the bearing race and used the old style bearing? Right now all I have is a very faint (almost nonexistant) whine and a decel vibration at around 70-75 mph or 2200-2400 RPM's that was not there with the 2.73's. Installer chalked all that up to a weak factory driveshaft and the way the gears are made. It hasn't been a real big issue anymore tbh
If you have a manual transmission then the deceleration vibration is normal and due to the dual mass flywheel.

If not then it could be the gear or a driveshaft issue like the companion flange did not get fully seated when the driveshaft was bolted back up.

As to what to look for, the noise and a bad wear pattern on the gear teeth.

Have you asked your gear installer about it yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page