Got frpp 3.73 put in today... hearing faint gear howl - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I did, I have an auto and I suspected they did not reinstall the shaft correctly. I called them and asked if they maybe installed the DS incorrectly and they said they didn't touch the driveshaft, its rotation, or anything.They said it was because the shaft is spinning faster that the vibrations were occurring. They have no interest in touching the car again to diagnose any issues and the feeling is mutual. They have been in business with great reviews for over 40 years apparently.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Well, if you want to bring it over here I can give you the hookup for the best Mustang tech in the area. Don't know of anyone in Louisiana though.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
I did, I have an auto and I suspected they did not reinstall the shaft correctly. I called them and asked if they maybe installed the DS incorrectly and they said they didn't touch the driveshaft, its rotation, or anything.They said it was because the shaft is spinning faster that the vibrations were occurring. They have no interest in touching the car again to diagnose any issues and the feeling is mutual. They have been in business with great reviews for over 40 years apparently.
So, what's the name of this 40-year old company with great reviews that is unwilling to provide warranty support for their apparently shoddy workmanship?

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
So, what's the name of this 40-year old company with great reviews that is unwilling to provide warranty support for their apparently shoddy workmanship?
Zimmer Gears in BR, LA. They told me their work was absolutely perfect. As in if there was any whine or abnormal gear wear, it was because the gears were made incorrectly and they don't warrant gears.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So after numerous rebuilds ( messing with the backlash, putting used gears, putting another set of new frpp gears), noise is still there. I will post pics of the the original gears i bought from AM (hopefully tomorrow). the pattern seems fine but a second opinions is welcome. At this point i am thinking it could the bearings. when i bought the bearing kit i forgot to buy the AM specified inner bearing. I asked the shop to supply it for me. I double checked with them if they knew about the inner bearing change from 09 to 10+ models and the owner was aware of it. The inner bearing they used is a timken m802048.

Again the noise is very faint, i can barely hear it on accel (mostly due to loud exhaust),decel (50-0) and coast(especially around 50-65).
GT Member

Even a new set of gears didn't fix the problem?

Did they use a new crush sleeve each time the rear was torn apart? (This can be mitigated by using a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve).

I ordered a set of gears, the bearing install kit, and the 11+ pinion bearing from AM, and a solid spacer kit (from Jegs). I've already received the spacer kit and should have the gears/bearings next Tuesday.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srizo View Post
So after numerous rebuilds ( messing with the backlash, putting used gears, putting another set of new frpp gears), noise is still there. I will post pics of the the original gears i bought from AM (hopefully tomorrow). the pattern seems fine but a second opinions is welcome. At this point i am thinking it could the bearings. when i bought the bearing kit i forgot to buy the AM specified inner bearing. I asked the shop to supply it for me. I double checked with them if they knew about the inner bearing change from 09 to 10+ models and the owner was aware of it. The inner bearing they used is a timken m802048.

Again the noise is very faint, i can barely hear it on accel (mostly due to loud exhaust),decel (50-0) and coast(especially around 50-65).
Do you have a manual?

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
PONY Member

I have a similar noise. Mine happens at 40-60 mph during acceleration only. The tech that did mine did his new Saleen at the same time and has the exact same noise. He took mine apart 3 times to re-shim, but it never got much better. This was right around the same time another member here had the same problem their shop could not fix as well. Turns out there was a bad batch of FRPP 3.73's.

I hear it, but no one else (besides the mechanic) really notices. It's that faint of a noise. I can deal with it though, the pro's outweigh the con's.... and after talking to Ibleedblue, I might just do the Torsen rear end in the future....
PONY Member

The Mustang shop that installed my 3.73's this past April won't touch FRPP or Motive gears. They will only install Yukons. Too many issues with the others right now.

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Upgrades: DSS aluminum driveshaft, BMR LCA's, Yukon 3.73 gears, MGW shifter.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
The Mustang shop that installed my 3.73's this past April won't touch FRPP or Motive gears. They will only install Yukons. Too many issues with the others right now.

Tim

That's a smart move. I would have sent them back and gone through the mess of returning them, but then my labor costs would have been sky high.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post

Tim
That's odd. Paul's Automotive Engineering (Ford performance shop for 30 years in Cincy and the installer has been around a while) prefers the Ford or Motive if they can't get the Ford gears. :?:
Banned

I've scoured the net looking at this kind of stuff. Honestly, my last vehicle had just a very faint whine on deceleration. Other than that, nothing like it was eating itself etc. That was a set of 4.88 Yukons.

I hear so many opinions on the subject that I think it's a combo of setup and the the really low gear sets for whatever reason. Maybe some "harmonic" thing going on. Either way, I told Brian that as long as it wasn't intrusive where I here it with the windows up....I'm good as long as it doesn't eat itself. I'm just not going to stress over it. I'll break it in as easy as I can, swap the gear oil, and beat on it....just to be overly cautious.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Decel vibration between 2100-2500 RPM is the issue with my 3.73 frpp gears. Not sure if it's caused by an incorrect bearing or if it's caused by the stock driveshaft. I figure if it was the wrong bearing, it would always be vibrating and causing more noise. I made the mistake of trusting an AM rep when he said my 2011 didn't need the 2010+ bearing in addition to their standard install kit that's already listed 2010+ so now I'm not sure what it could be.

PONY Member

What you are describing as a "faint" gear howl is probably nothing to worry about. What you might do is have the shop pull the cover and look at the wear pattern. This would quickly tell you if it was a correct install or not....That aside, there is a lot of difference between a 2.73 and a 3.73 ratio, and you are bound to have "some" built in gear noise with the different ratio....It just has to be. Regardless of who says not, its a fact... And then there is the fact of weather your vehicle is a Premium model or base model...The base model have quite a bit less sound deadening in them and this will just excentuate the different ratio gear noise....Like I said if its only a "faint' noise, get it looked at, but quit worrying about you are just hearing something your not used to, from the get go...........best regards Plum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbago View Post
What you are describing as a "faint" gear howl is probably nothing to worry about. What you might do is have the shop pull the cover and look at the wear pattern. This would quickly tell you if it was a correct install or not....That aside, there is a lot of difference between a 2.73 and a 3.73 ratio, and you are bound to have "some" built in gear noise with the different ratio....It just has to be. Regardless of who says not, its a fact... And then there is the fact of weather your vehicle is a Premium model or base model...The base model have quite a bit less sound deadening in them and this will just excentuate the different ratio gear noise....Like I said if its only a "faint' noise, get it looked at, but quit worrying about you are just hearing something your not used to, from the get go...........best regards Plum
That seems to be the case from what I've found as far as feedback. Well said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page