Got frpp 3.73 put in today... hearing faint gear howl - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
That's odd. Paul's Automotive Engineering (Ford performance shop for 30 years in Cincy and the installer has been around a while) prefers the Ford or Motive if they can't get the Ford gears. :?:

My shop used to use FRPP when they were still made at the Sterling plant in Michigan. Once the FRPP production was moved, the quality has dropped.

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Upgrades: DSS aluminum driveshaft, BMR LCA's, Yukon 3.73 gears, MGW shifter.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

[quote=Plumbago;4415649That aside, there is a lot of difference between a 2.73 and a 3.73 ratio, and you are bound to have "some" built in gear noise with the different ratio....It just has to be. Regardless of who says not, its a fact... [/quote]

I agree with this as well. Once you get to the 3.73 and above ratios, I too believe that the gears produce more noise in general. Not necessarily whine, howl, or whatever you want to call it, just louder normal operating noise.

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
My shop used to use FRPP when they were still made at the Sterling plant in Michigan. Once the FRPP production was moved, the quality has dropped.

Tim
Well, that would explain some things. Is that why Motive supplies FRPP the gears (as far as I've heard)? I guess if people wanted to try another brand, Yukon has worked well for me on the last project vehicle I had. 4.88's and a very faint decel noise when letting off the gas.

As to the Motive, word is don't get the regular Motive gear but get the Motive Performance gears in the red/black box made in Italy.

PONY Member

It doesn't mean anything for the people that are having issues right now, but for the future, Motive gears will likely be the "go to" brand. As you can imagine, there are only a couple of USA based gear manufacturing plants. Everything else is done by contract overseas. From what I've heard, Motive is in the process of buying the Richmond gear manufacturing plant here in the US, and will have complete control of their gear production, from design, to delivery. That's a good thing in my opinion.

Tim

post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
I agree with this as well. Once you get to the 3.73 and above ratios, I too believe that the gears produce more noise in general. Not necessarily whine, howl, or whatever you want to call it, just louder normal operating noise.

Tim
but for from all the threads i have read, everyone keeps saying that there shouldn't be any gear noise what so ever.

This is a premium model with auto transmission.
Banned

I keep hearing different things. I'm thinking the tendency, right now, is that the gears have changed in a way that makes setup require more exact install these days. It's either that or the gear manufacturing is inconsistent because now, all of a sudden, we have what seems like a lot more blame on shops going around. Something had to of change and I personally believe it's something with the gears. Were there bad shops before? Oh yeah, but I think things are leaning to the gear manufacturer.

I was scouring the net to try to lessen my gear whine. Very obnoxious whine between 50-65mph on cruise, no acceleration going on. Goes away with acceleration. Barely audible on decel anywhere in mph range. I will try what a couple of others on another forum tried but may modify that just a little. They used Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. One member estimated about a 50% reduction in whine in his Shelby which went through 3 gears setups with new gears trying to eliminate the noise. I may modify this for lower temp operation (winter) and run a 50-50% mixture of the Lightweight Shockproof and Heavy Shockproof.

If one of ya beats me to it, let me know how it turns out. There's a thread on mustangforums about "quieting gear whine solution found" you can check out if you wish.

Now I do question the oil change interval though. I don't think this oil is meant to go near as far as the 75w-140 GL-5 that comes in our cars. I like more info on that if anyone finds something on it. 10k? 20k? 50k?....
Banned

I wanted to add Amsoil makes a similar product. Severe Gear 190 and a 250 version also.
Rookie
V6 Member

Check pinion pre-load. a little too loose and decal whine. Too tight eats bearing.

2013 Premium Black Auto.
PONY Member

I had FR 3.73s installed two weeks ago tomorrow, and the shop called me before I picked up the car, saying they were not pleased with the gear whine on deceleration. I drove it over the weekend, and contacted AM, which is where I purchased the gearset and install kit.

AM received a shop report from my installer, and immediately sent me a brand new gear set and installation kit. The shop is going to re-install the new items tomorrow at no cost to me.

Hopefully I just got a bad set and this will take care of the issue.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbago View Post
What you are describing as a "faint" gear howl is probably nothing to worry about. What you might do is have the shop pull the cover and look at the wear pattern. This would quickly tell you if it was a correct install or not....That aside, there is a lot of difference between a 2.73 and a 3.73 ratio, and you are bound to have "some" built in gear noise with the different ratio....It just has to be. Regardless of who says not, its a fact... And then there is the fact of weather your vehicle is a Premium model or base model...The base model have quite a bit less sound deadening in them and this will just excentuate the different ratio gear noise....Like I said if its only a "faint' noise, get it looked at, but quit worrying about you are just hearing something your not used to, from the get go...........best regards Plum
I just had a set of FRPP 3.73 installed this morning with a mini install kit (no bearings) due to low mileage (1100). No abnormal noises. Sounds exactly like it did with the 2.73. Butt dyno feels a huge improvement, as expected.

2014 DIB Premium 3.7L MT82 Pony Package
MPT 91 Tune, BBK Chrome Longtubes, BBK Offroad X pipe, 14" Vibrant Resonators, Airaid CAI, Shelby Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page