Got frpp 3.73 put in today... hearing faint gear howl - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Got frpp 3.73 put in today... hearing faint gear howl

So i got 3.73s ford racing gear from americanmuscle along with the install kit. Doing the heat cycle right now but when i am coasting at 50mph, i can hear a faint gear howl. Very hard to describe. When decelerating, i can hear it sort of winding down.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

I have an appointment with the shop next week because i dont think i am supposed to hear anything from my rear end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You shouldn't be hearing anything. Definitely take it in. The rear end will likely not fly to pieces on you (I've driven in some serious company-rebuilt howlers), but it still shouldn't be making any racket. Guessing, I'd say it's a improperly sized/shimmed bearing/race issue. Ibleedblue could definitely tell you. Maybe shoot him a PM?

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013
Beast3.7

Have them add a little friction modifier.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
Have them add a little friction modifier.
This won't do anything for gear howl, the friction modifier is only for the clutches in the differential.

OP, if you wait and drive it until next week and it continues to howl in the mean time then it will be too late to fix it as the pattern in the gears will be set. It may already be too late.

And did the shop install the correct inner pinion bearing? It is different on 2010+ cars than on older models and the install kit comes with the early bearing.

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
This won't do anything for gear howl, the friction modifier is only for the clutches in the differential.

OP, if you wait and drive it until next week and it continues to howl in the mean time then it will be too late to fix it as the pattern in the gears will be set. It may already be too late.

And did the shop install the correct inner pinion bearing? It is different on 2010+ cars than on older models and the install kit comes with the early bearing.
Yea i made sure they knew about that. and you are probably correct about the gear pattern. it already has like 35+ miles on it.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Probably didn't set the backlash correctly.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013
PONY Member

there have been a lot of 3.73 sets lately that have whined from 40-60mph during light accel... take it back as quick as you can to have it fixed, your problem seems different from the norm...
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:

I have a little whine on my 3.73 FRPP. According to AM who I called twice and asked, the bearing that comes in the "installation kit + bearing kit" is the correct bearing. If I ever found out that was the cause of my whine, AM would never see me again.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
I have a little whine on my 3.73 FRPP. According to AM who I called twice and asked, the bearing that comes in the "installation kit + bearing kit" is the correct bearing. If I ever found out that was the cause of my whine, AM would never see me again.
It is not. Rear pinion bearing is different on the 2010+ models
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
If you bought the extra pinion bearing then you got the right one.

PONY Member

The "wrong" bearing will work too as long as your installer is on point.

My diff is apart yet again, this time due to a brand new defective gear (ring gear machined with a wobble!) from Ford Racing. I've had bad luck, and these new generation 8.8s are super sensitive. They have to be dead-nuts-on or they will make noise. I've never ever had issues like this with any other diff in my life.

My car is at the dealer right now. I blew up my stupid dual mass flywheel, and while they are warrantying that, I'm using their J-tools tools to set up my diff the right way once and for all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305[1].JPG
Views:	186
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	218185  

2012 Kona Blue 3.7, M6, 101A, security package, built 5/3/11.
Mods: The list is long, like WRXified's winky used to be.

Other junk: 1994 Z28 conv LT1 A4 - 1965 Custom 2dr 390 M4 - 1962 Galaxie 4dr 427 A3 - 1979 Firebird Formula EV (work in progress) - 1967 Austin Healy Sprite (basket case)
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbleedBlue View Post

My diff is apart yet again, this time due to a brand new defective gear (ring gear machined with a wobble!) from Ford Racing. I've had bad luck, and these new generation 8.8s are super sensitive. They have to be dead-nuts-on or they will make noise. I've never ever had issues like this with any other diff in my life.

My car is at the dealer right now. I blew up my stupid dual mass flywheel, and while they are warrantying that, I'm using their J-tools tools to set up my diff the right way once and for all.
Sorry for OT but which way does the driveshaft go... i need to re install mine

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:

Are you planning to change your DS?
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
If you bought the extra pinion bearing then you got the right one.
The kit I bought was the installation kit + bearing kit for 89.99. On the same exact kit, there was ANOTHER drop down box for "2010+ bearing" so I called them and asked them what was going on and if I needed to pay 89.99 install/bearing kit PLUS another 59.99 for the 2010+ bearing. The representative Duncan said I was good to go and that the correct bearing was included in that kit for 89.99 without needing to buy the drop down bearing. This is the kit I bought- Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit (8.8in) R8.8RMK - Free Shipping!

Notice how they charge you 59.99 for the bearing, and 29.99 for the install kit. I asked if I had to check the drop down box for the 2010+ bearing, he said no, the bearing included in this base kit was the correct one for my 2011 v6.

I swear that if the bearing is causing these decel vibrations and whine, AM is going to have a HUGE S***STORM on their hands and will be paying for the labor to fix it as well as my gear kit for this false information.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:

My understanding is the early bearing will work so long as you replace the race in the housing with the early one too. The race comes with the bearing but most guys don't go through the hassle of getting the old race out and the new one seated in the housing, they just reuse the old race and install the bearing on the pinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page