2013 v6 engine sounds like a tractor. HELP! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, the car runs fine, I intermittently get the sewing machine sound from the top of the engine, but it seems to go away once warmed up (but I can't confirm this 100% yet). Maybe some oil isn't making it to the passenger side lifters and making them a bit noisy.

One thing I did notice, is my oil is high. Had an oil change end of March, and the oil level is about 1/8" over the top dot. Maybe this is contributing to my issue, maybe not.

I'm going back in to get my pony projector lights fixed once they are in, so I'll see if it's still doing it then and maybe get them to correct the oil.

2013 Mustang V6 Premium Pony Package, Sterling Gray
FRPP Sport Axle Backs - Stack Racing Front Strut Brace - Airaid CAI - JLT Oil Separator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

I just noticed that my car is doing this too! I believe it's coming from the device shown below:

Banned

Anyone have any idea what this is? Thinking it's part of the fuel delivery system, no idea?

I can feel this piece tapping and it sounds like its coming from what ever this is.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

No Idea...
Next time I hear that sound, I'll check if it's coming from the same spot.
If it's just a tick, tick, tick, sound, that'll be fuel injection most likely.
If it sounds like a soft snare drum roll/sewing machine... Then welcome to the club of not knowing what the heck it is!

All I know is, lately I've been very careful to not punch it until the engine is completely warmed up, and ignoring the sounds as I can't really hear them once warmed up.
As long as I don't hear that awful diesel and racket that was definitely coming from the passenger side of the engine, I'm ok

Now it's right up top, so that piece you spotted might be it.
Let me know if you find out anything!

FRPP Sport Axle Backs - Stack Racing Front Strut Brace - Airaid CAI - JLT Oil Separator
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbo View Post

In terms of the 'awesome' diesel sound? No leaks found, and it went away. Now all that remains is the tick from the injectors.
Is your tick from the injectors at acceleration at highway speeds? My '14 just hit 3,000 miles and I'm hearing a tick when I'm accelerating when getting on the highway. I'm not sure of the source of the tick and am trying to figure out if it's normal. Didn't hear it until I hit 2,800 miles..

2014 Ingot Silver 3.7, K&N 69 Typhoon CAI, Roush AB's. 3.73 FRPP gears, BAMA tune.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I wouldn't worry about it. After the initial shock of this new sound coming from the engine bay, it comes and goes, but there is no change to performance.
fuel injectors would need to speed up with the engine to deliver fuel but once I go past idle, my car is loud enough to drown out the injector tika-tika-tika-tika.

Just my excuse to make the car louder

Basically the bad sounds are LOUD. If it sounds like metal on metal you've got a problem. Get used to the ticks and taps and clicks. I know it's frustrating at first, but you do get used to it. Personally I would avoid tuning until warranty is done unless you've got the cash flow to support any repairs if something goes wrong.

I had an integral part burn out (freak occurrence) so anything is possible.
Keep an eye out for issues, but don't be paranoid!

Rookie

I take it they didn't say anything about your tune when you took it in for the noise originally?
PONY Member

I wonder if that's the EVAP Purge solenoid (something similar?). I know on my last car 2.0 LNF DI Engine, I had to replace this type of solenoid, but I also received an Engine light due to it failing. I tested it by removing it and trying to blow through it, I was able to blow some air through it which deemed it failed. It's an emissions type of device I thought.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac12 View Post
Is your tick from the injectors at acceleration at highway speeds? My '14 just hit 3,000 miles and I'm hearing a tick when I'm accelerating when getting on the highway. I'm not sure of the source of the tick and am trying to figure out if it's normal. Didn't hear it until I hit 2,800 miles..
Hello tmac12,

You should make an appointment and let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hello tmac12,

You should make an appointment and let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Dyasha,

The ticking has gone away, but if it reappears I will certainly make an appointment with my local Ford dealer. It occurred briefly right after my first oil change. Thank you for responding to my post. I've seen countless posts from owners who have questions about possible problems and you are always right on top of helping them get resolved. Makes me even more happy that I own a Ford!

2014 Ingot Silver 3.7, K&N 69 Typhoon CAI, Roush AB's. 3.73 FRPP gears, BAMA tune.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac12 View Post
Dyasha,

The ticking has gone away, but if it reappears I will certainly make an appointment with my local Ford dealer. It occurred briefly right after my first oil change. Thank you for responding to my post. I've seen countless posts from owners who have questions about possible problems and you are always right on top of helping them get resolved. Makes me even more happy that I own a Ford!
Youíre very welcome, tmac12! Thank you for the kind words. Iíll be here if you need me.

Deysha
Banned

I also wonder if that is part of the variable cam timing idle control. For example on first start the car is not even using the VCT really partly why it appears to be idling higher than normal (like cold start idle) but in reality its that the VCT has no engaged yet as it needs oil pressure buildup etc.

My car randomly can sound like that for very brief moments then it idles out and runs without that noise.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayshot View Post
I take it they didn't say anything about your tune when you took it in for the noise originally?
Nadda, also tune was pulled immediately after this happened and hasn't been back on since.

Figured I'll wait longer and just drive it in sport until I'm sure it's ok, or I have a 2nd car haha!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013 v6 , engine tick , exhaust leak , knocking noise , valve train

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page