2013 v6 engine sounds like a tractor. HELP! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question 2013 v6 engine sounds like a tractor. HELP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOQM...e_gdata_player

The sound at the beginning is valve train to me, but what is the tractor sound? I've been running the 87 street tune from BAMA and put in the Airaid CAI a couple weeks ago and it's been fine until yesterday. Power is still there, sound is not really apparent until you pop the hood. I took it back to stock and this video is taken after a very slow run around the block.

I'm freaking out here, and will have to take it into the dealer, but was hoping someone who has experience with this sound could help enlighten me. Sounds are coming from the passenger side, slightly less loud when warmed up, and I mean slightly.

Display showing normal oil pressure, oil is good (changed end of March and is full) car seems to shift and drive normal, AFR reading on the display is normal as well.

Searched forums but can't quite find exactly what it may be. I have some ideas, but I'm dreading taking it into the dealer... afraid I'll be paying for any repairs out of pocket, which is just my luck after waiting over a year before tuning to ensure everything is good. ****.

If anyone knows what that is, thanks for the help!
2013 v6 automatic

2013 Mustang V6 Premium Pony Package, Sterling Gray
FRPP Sport Axle Backs - Stack Racing Front Strut Brace - Airaid CAI - JLT Oil Separator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013
Rookie

it making noises kinda like how my shops engines make before we need to adjust the valve lash, you shouldnt need to do that though since this is a pretty new car. if you end up taking your car to the dealer they are most likely just going to say its okay if it sounds like this.

3.7 V6 AUTO, 3.73 gear, BBK LT headers, BBK catted X pipe, BBK CAI, Borla ATAK A/B, aluminium drive shaft, MPT stage 2 ghost cam
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013
PONY Member

Did you check all your header and exhaust bolts? If the exhaust note changed but nothing else then I wood look for an exhaust leak. I have not herd of it but maybe you blew out the header gasket? Do a data log and look at the left vs rite O2 sensor if you can, there would be some difference in the 2 if the problem is pre-sensor

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick replies, just out of curiosity, does an exhaust manifold or gasket leak sounds a little like a tractor /diesel?

FRPP Sport Axle Backs - Stack Racing Front Strut Brace - Airaid CAI - JLT Oil Separator
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Is it a coincidence there is a John Deere ad at the bottom of this page? Damn ad spies

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbo View Post
Thanks for the quick replies, just out of curiosity, does an exhaust manifold or gasket leak sounds a little like a tractor /diesel?
To answer your question. Yep.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sweet, thank you randeez! That at least puts my mind at ease a bit.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013
GT Member

I second the exhaust gasket.

Harbor Freight sells a mechanics stethoscope, might help in pin pointing it. Cheap.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah, it's looking like there is an exhaust leak, but now the valve train sewing machine sound is constant. Got my appointment for Monday at Donway Ford, so hopefully this gets taken care of along with my messed up Pony projectors.

FiK
PONY Member

Garage
You're not driving on that are you? D:

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Trying to avoid it. Nothing is running poorly, just noisy. Babying the throttle until I get it into the shop.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm getting itchy here... car is in the shop still. Going through withdrawals.
Figured if it's being checked for a possible leak/valve/whatever issue, I'd get my squeaky sway bar links fixed along with my mucked up Pony projector lights.

Not enjoying the loaner Escape 1.8L Ecoboost... awkward seat/gas pedal setup for my height. Plus it's not my car. Plus plus it's got no nuts. Maybe the 2.0L Eco Boost has more get up an go. Ah well, beggar's can't be chooser's.

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbo View Post
Yeah, it's looking like there is an exhaust leak, but now the valve train sewing machine sound is constant. Got my appointment for Monday at Donway Ford, so hopefully this gets taken care of along with my messed up Pony projectors.
Good that you are taking it in. As for an exhaust leak. You have to remember that there are exhaust valves popping open and snapping shut constantly in the cylinder head/ combustion chamber area causing metal to metal contact so if indeed you have an exhaust leak, especially at the head ( manifold gasket) you will definately be hearing valve train noise from the valve action.
Anyways, lets hope for the best and not speculate too much till they look it over.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, she's back. Rear end links are nice and tight again, surprising how loose it got without realizing. Feels and sounds great again over rough sections of road.

In terms of the 'awesome' diesel sound? No leaks found, and it went away. Now all that remains is the tick from the injectors.

Soooooo... I'll keep an eye on it. From what they said, the day after I dropped it off, the rattle/diesel sounds stopped and then sounded like a "puff puff puff puff" at the speed of the engine idle. Then that too went away later that day. I picked it up yesterday, drove home on the highway (albeit not mashing the throttle, but regular acceleration) no sounds but the tick tick tick of the injectors.

Ah well, no mechanical issues is all I care about tanks empty, time for some Shell v-power and test out the race tune after I've given it a few days to ensure all is well.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Apprentice

Glad they got that all fixed up for ya....

2013 V6 Convertible Mustang Club Of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013 v6 , engine tick , exhaust leak , knocking noise , valve train

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page