V6 Bassani review/hints - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 Bassani review/hints

So I scored a used Bassani axleback from a fellow member (thx Dan!) and put it on over the weekend here are my thoughts. I was looking for sound improvements only and not expecting any HP increase (except on the Butt Dyno) I'm NOT going to post a sound clip go to American Muscle/Youtube and realize that you are using computer speakers to hear exhaust sounds. They are good for comparos only they (mine) do not do any system justice.

Install: counting going for a 1/2 hr drive to test them it took me about three hours...this included jacking up my car (jackstands and wheel chocks) and putting tools away the next time it'll be about two hrs. I sprayed the muffler clamps with PB Blaster and the rubber hangers with silicone the day before which worked out well. The two hints I have were that getting the OEM mufflers out of the fwd hangers was semi-impossible. I found it easier to just remove the hanger brackets and slide them off after they were free. Also the muffler clamp is welded to the OEM bracket, you have to break it off..do NOT spend 20 minutes trying to slide it off and swearing at it does not help. The new ones fit perfectly and only took 15 minutes to bolt them in place. I did not have to adjust them (I don't know if they had to be adjusted when new).

Review: the finish/welding is superb the tips are slightly larger (4.00" compared to 3.50") and they do stick out about 1/2" more than the OEMs they seem to fit the cutouts on the v6 valance better than stock but it's not a huge differance. The sound on first impression is great with a good bit more volume than my Manual transmission (differant than autos) factory mufflers. There is a little bit of popping on sudden decel but nothing objectionable (I like the noise) and you can definatley hear the extra sound in the cabin withou it being too loud. I'm sure the folks I pass will enjoy hearing the sound too. Remember the exhaust sound is mostly for bystanders... I have not yet noticed any drone but I'm gonna hold off on that till I've had them on for a while.

Mrs Mud (after rolling her eyes when I said what I bought) asked "they're not going to be Stupid loud are they?" and I'll have to say no to that. They seem to a a bit of a throaty rumble like a well tuned European V6...I'm giving them thumbs up. It's a recomended mod if you are looking for a more fun sound out of your V6!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
Banned

I'm glad you like them! I kinda miss the sound but I like it quiet for now..

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
MACH I Member

I have the Bassani mufflers too and agree with your assessment. I've found that there is some exhaust system resonance or drone when climbing steep hills or in the mountains, but can either shift up the rpm range or the climb is soon over. Most of the droning complaints are from those with autos, whose only recourse is to increase the throttle.

They definitely make the car sound a lot more sporty, and sound down right impressive at WOT.

I've received many complements since the install, I'm sure you will too. Good luck.

Edit: I had mine installed at Midas, it took about an hour and $100.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Forgot to mention how much lighter than stock they are. I got a late start and did not take the time to weigh them but the differance is substantial. I would almost guess the oems weigh 18# (each) and the Bassani are 12# (key word guess)

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
Banned

If I didn't have to go to work I would have offered to install them for you..15 mins and done!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
PONY Member

now I just need someone to grab my mrt's lol.

grats on the sale

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
now I just need someone to grab my mrt's lol.

grats on the sale
Why do you want to sell em?

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
eclypse3demons

I think the MRTs are more agressive and are closer to a cross between roush and borla ataks in sound, they have pretty good volume but some rasp too I suspect thats the reason for the sale =)

I liked them when I first heard them but I like Bassani, Dynomax, some Magnaflow, Borla touring setups that provide a deeper more tuned sound.

I am not a huge fan of look at me exhaust that is just so loud and overbearing it distracts from the car. Does not always scream performance =).
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse3demons View Post
I think the MRTs are more agressive and are closer to a cross between roush and borla ataks in sound, they have pretty good volume but some rasp too I suspect thats the reason for the sale =)

I liked them when I first heard them but I like Bassani, Dynomax, some Magnaflow, Borla touring setups that provide a deeper more tuned sound.

I am not a huge fan of look at me exhaust that is just so loud and overbearing it distracts from the car. Does not always scream performance =).
lol whats funny is you have it backwards.

I don't think theyre mean enough for me =p

Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
lol whats funny is you have it backwards.

I don't think theyre mean enough for me =p
What are you thinking of stepping up to? Your car sounded pretty aggressive when I heard it in person, more so than the Borla s types on my car.

The only exhaust that could give you a more aggressive sound from just axlebacks is the roush exhaust or the Borla atak

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
MACH I Member

No mufflers or cats is about aggressive as it gets. Obnoxious yes, but aggressive none the less.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
What are you thinking of stepping up to? Your car sounded pretty aggressive when I heard it in person, more so than the Borla s types on my car.

The only exhaust that could give you a more aggressive sound from just axlebacks is the roush exhaust or the Borla atak

again, whats funny is I think your car sounds way more aggressive than mine lol

eclypse3demons

Quote:
again, whats funny is I think your car sounds way more aggressive than mine lol

What it sounds like you want if you feel the MRTs are not aggressive enough is strait pipes from the headers no X or H pipe running right into the butts of a pair of Bengal Tigers.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Cere, w/o insulting the exhaust always is louder from the outside. Ask your neighbors if it's "aggressive enough"

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

So...it's been a week and I've had a chance to listen more. Joe is correct, there is a slight bit of drone noticable when loading the engine going up hills in the 2k+ rpm range. It's not bad nor loud but it is there. I still like them but do not think these will be drone free. Key word is slight. I continue to like these and will reccomend them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
axle back , bassani , v6 exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page