Ecoboost swap possible? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

If someone would make a turbo manifold and downpipe for our cars and sell it, I would buy it and piece together everything else myself.

I'm not so good at welding, so there is no way I would try to fab those 2 pieces up myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I know a welder in San Diego who would do the work for a reasonable price (he's done them for other cars over the past 20+ years), but I'm not sure I'd want to experiment like that. Still, if I had the pieces-parts, who knows?

PONY Member

if it ain't broke don't fix it or if it ain't broke tear it up real good, and build it better. Innovation.

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

A set of manifolds with a cross over pipe for a big single. The manifolds are all the same, the cross over pipes are the same on the manifold ends, but have different flanges for different turbos. This would allow you to use ONE SET of headers with multiple cossover pipes/turbos as you upgrade turbos. Make the manifold ends the same flange whatever flange you'd need for set of small twins so you have that option available too.

Build this. Charge 600 bucks for the headers, 150 per cross over pipe. Get rich, make power. Done.
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_V6 View Post
A set of manifolds with a cross over pipe for a big single. The manifolds are all the same, the cross over pipes are the same on the manifold ends, but have different flanges for different turbos. This would allow you to use ONE SET of headers with multiple cossover pipes/turbos as you upgrade turbos. Make the manifold ends the same flange whatever flange you'd need for set of small twins so you have that option available too.

Build this. Charge 600 bucks for the headers, 150 per cross over pipe. Get rich, make power. Done.
Or even better, just keep the stock twin pipes and get axlebacks - By volume/cross-section, a pair of 2 1/4 pipes outflows a single 3 inch pipe.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Apologies, as I'm not trying to hijack the OP's thread. Just curious, since the Ecoboost option seems a little troublesome:

If piecing together a twin turbo setup by scratch ("bolt-on," not forged bottom-end), not counting labor and tuning, just hardware and plumbing alone, how much could one expect to shell out?

I've looked at universal kits, but I'm not quite convinced $2k would cover the parts. I could be wrong. I'd expect at least an additional 2K if not more on cutting, welding and tuning, assuming nothing goes wrong (yeah, right). Then there's the labor shelled out by folks like me who would never consider DIY on the body rip-down and unit install.

I'm thinking one would easily be in the territory of a new Procharger kit with installation.

As much as I'd live a home-made setup, I'd still rather go the easy route if I can't do it for cheaper.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, that's where you and I differ. I've been wrenching on cars for decades, and tearing one apart doesn't make me squeamish at all. Fabricating something, although a pain in the ass, isn't totally out of the question either. I figure the most expensive parts (provided you do the work yourself, or have a friend help) would be the turbocharger, inter cooler, and the tuning. Flat stock for making flanges is relatively affordable, mandrel bends are pretty cheap, a guy could probably BUILD his own manifolds for way less than 500 bucks!

That's it, I've gotta buy a damn welder.....
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If I had the training and skills, why not? Would be fun. But I don't have those or the history, the experience, or tools to do all that. I'm not getting any younger either. Much less tolerant of tinkering than I used to be. But I have friends who have all the resources. Why not use them? I just don't know how much to expect in hardware costs. I'll find someone around here who can tell me. Thanx much.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

PONY Member

If you can cut pvc pipe you can have your own header system built easy enough

Custom Headers Built To Your Specifications
Turbo Headers

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
PONY Member
S197 Member

BTW some have stated use the F150 exhaust manifolds but they have a different bolt pattern and are very restrictive in their design. Not a fan of a high mounted Turbo and would love to see someone do a setup off a standard mounted header. Small twins tucked down against the engine out of the way would be cool.
Apprentice

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you have a wrecked Ecoboost F150 available for parts, why not pull the entire 3.5 L engine and drop it in the Mustang? Seems like there would be fewer problems than trying to turn the 3.7 into an Ecoboost.

'13 V6 Premium Coupe, Deep Impact Blue w/pony pkg & MT82 - bone stock

I drive it like I own it.
PONY Member

Swapping in an ecoboost 3.5 would be a nitemare, besides the injection limits the HP, there have already been companies to upgrade the turbo (yes a larger single variable vane turbo) that maxed out around 550 crank HP due to fueling limitations.

Turbo install on the 3.7 is a breeze compared to other cars, I know, I did it and although I am smart I can't weld much past tacking stuff together. Factory manifolds work fine, flip the DS one over, move the studs around, replace one stud with a bolt and away you go, a 2" cross over works fine. I have a 3.5" downpipe but a 3" one will be fine, split it back into duals. Find a local fab shop (roll bars, turbo installs, etc) and talk to them, look over my build pics, CFM's pics, Cal Hartlines build pics and go from there, I can sell you wht you need but I won't build it for you, parts wise you are looking around $3k.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrdogg View Post
Swapping in an ecoboost 3.5 would be a nitemare,
How so? The base engine for the F150 is the NA 3.7. The 6 spd. automatic tranny is standard in the F150...probably geared different though. But the truck tranny mates to both the 3.7 and the 3.5. If the Mustang's transmission is different from the truck's, it still bolts up to the 3.7 and might do the same on the 3.5.

If the 3.7 goes where the 3.5 goes, can't imagine the 3.5 Eco couldn't be made to fit in a Mustang...if you had the whole package.

Been ages since I did an engine swap though, so might be overlooking something. Educate me.

'13 V6 Premium Coupe, Deep Impact Blue w/pony pkg & MT82 - bone stock

I drive it like I own it.
Banned

if you look into the latest reports by ford there have been crank and piston failures in the 3.5. Ford is starting to do block production dates to find the vehicles that came with the problem parts. it's also being seen in the SHO taurus. The ecoboost engine isn't all it's played up to be and until ford gets the problem solved it may be shelved until it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page