Ecoboost swap possible? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

The actual engine fit might happen, the turbos are low mounted making the package kinda wide which wouldn't be a problem on the F150 but may be a problem on the narrower Mustang platform, not sure it would clear the frame rails and strut towers.

I was really referring to the electronics, you would have to run the engine on the truck computer and then tie that into the Mustang body electronics, things have come a long way since the A9L / A9P computer days, pulse width modulation, multiple TCC lockups, it takes tuners several attempts to get shift pattern correct on a car that has been out for 3 years already, I would think it would take an electronice genius to get that package to work. Easier to turbo the 3.7, I built my kit from scratch over a few weekends, rough tuned in a few hours, made more HP than the 3.5 did with under 13 psi (444 rear wheel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Young View Post
How so? The base engine for the F150 is the NA 3.7. The 6 spd. automatic tranny is standard in the F150...probably geared different though. But the truck tranny mates to both the 3.7 and the 3.5. If the Mustang's transmission is different from the truck's, it still bolts up to the 3.7 and might do the same on the 3.5.

If the 3.7 goes where the 3.5 goes, can't imagine the 3.5 Eco couldn't be made to fit in a Mustang...if you had the whole package.

Been ages since I did an engine swap though, so might be overlooking something. Educate me.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

OK, Kerrdog, thanks for taking the time. Never thought of the engine computer being tied in with the door locks and the trunk light. But, if that's how they're doing things now, it would be a tough swap.

'13 V6 Premium Coupe, Deep Impact Blue w/pony pkg & MT82 - bone stock

I drive it like I own it.
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
I just want a roots style supercharger.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Found this article on the LMR website.

2.0 Ecoboost Mustang: Project Ugly Horse - LatemodelRestoration.com

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wow, this thread took off more than I imagined. At any rate, just few minutes ago I read a pdf posted in another thread (the 220 mile engine death thread) that answered pretty much all of my questions perfectly.

Looks like boosting the 3.7 is the way to go!

Having a forged crank is nice an all, but I wonder if anybody is going to be making better rods and pistons than what's stock. I'd hate to be the one to find the limit of the stockers under too much boost. Ported lower intake is apparently a must- 21% increase in air flow over stock according to the pdf.

Now, back to Popcorn's white whiskey and minecraft.....(sad life, I know )
Apprentice

Super Six Motorsports - V6 products that make your life faster They have pistons and I think somewhere else I read about rods I can't remember where although.

Current mustang
2013 3.7 MT-82:pony package,pype bomb's axleback and that's all for now
Past mustang
2007 4.0 T-5 :Pony package,pypes axleback, afe cold air intake, bama tuned
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_V6 View Post
Wow, this thread took off more than I imagined. At any rate, just few minutes ago I read a pdf posted in another thread (the 220 mile engine death thread) that answered pretty much all of my questions perfectly.

Looks like boosting the 3.7 is the way to go!

Having a forged crank is nice an all, but I wonder if anybody is going to be making better rods and pistons than what's stock. I'd hate to be the one to find the limit of the stockers under too much boost. Ported lower intake is apparently a must- 21% increase in air flow over stock according to the pdf.

Now, back to Popcorn's white whiskey and minecraft.....(sad life, I know )
MMR makes a bottom end kit.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
Rookie

our v6 3.7 turbo kits will be out very soon [weeks] unlike others claim we are doing, ours and pushing it hard for the v6 crowd y'all can check our Facebook page out at limitless Performance and fabrication we are well known for our kits and custom built engines we will try and make 1000+ on the 3.7 with one of our custom kits the twin kit will be released shortly after the single for the ones wanting that extra bit.

Owner of Limitless Performance and Fabrication
Apprentice

As stated earlier MMR makes a full rotating assembly for the 3.7 Check out some of solobusa's threads. He blew his engine with a procharger and then started a build from a brand new short block for a turbo. He has his rotating assem. made by MMR
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As stated earlier MMR makes a full rotating assembly for the 3.7 Check out some of solobusa's threads. He blew his engine with a procharger and then started a build from a brand new short block for a turbo. He has his rotating assem. made by MMR
And to finish the story, he blew that motor up to. I don't know if he's performed any forensics to determine exactly how it happened, but I don't think it was the fault of the bottom end.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
And to finish the story, he blew that motor up to. I don't know if he's performed any forensics to determine exactly how it happened, but I don't think it was the fault of the bottom end.
That discouraging! Looks like making more than 450-500 reliable RWHP with these cars will be a challenge and a half. BUT...450-500 is more than enough! Personally I wouldn't want to settle for less than 425 at the wheels, but for now I can barely afford 300! :p
Rookie

If you already have a 2011+ 3.7L V6 and want more power, I agree with comments above suggesting you add a blower or turbo, just note the limits of the stock pistons and rods.

Putting 3.5L Ecoboost Turbo stuff onto your 3.7L is a costly mistake, way too many changes to make it worth the effort. Better to just transplant a 3.5L Ecoboost from a F150, but even that is a BIG complicated & expensive effort, way beyond most do-it-at-home car guys. The rear-face-of-block and the motor mounts are the same, but just about every other thing is different. It can be done, but really, there are many cheaper and easier ways to make your 3.7L make the same power.
MACH I Member

Even if you would be able to fit everything into our cars, a person would practically need a donor car and a fab shop to make this possible. The entire electrical system (wire harness, computer units, dash), longblock and hybrid drivetrain would have to be put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt460 View Post
If you already have a 2011+ 3.7L V6 and want more power, I agree with comments above suggesting you add a blower or turbo, just note the limits of the stock pistons and rods.

Putting 3.5L Ecoboost Turbo stuff onto your 3.7L is a costly mistake, way too many changes to make it worth the effort. Better to just transplant a 3.5L Ecoboost from a F150, but even that is a BIG complicated & expensive effort, way beyond most do-it-at-home car guys. The rear-face-of-block and the motor mounts are the same, but just about every other thing is different. It can be done, but really, there are many cheaper and easier ways to make your 3.7L make the same power.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member
S197 Member

When the Ford Electronics pack comes out for the eco boost crate engines this may be a fairly easy swap. As it sits now its not. A 6 wire hook up is all that is needed. I believ next spring is when the control pack will be released.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page