Ecoboost swap possible? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ecoboost swap possible?

Hey all, this is something I've been thinking about for a while now.

What is stopping anyone from taking the exhaust manifolds, turbos, PCM and other related hardware from an ecoboost 3.5L (from an f-150, not a taurus) and swapping them onto a 3.7L in a Mustang?

Has anyone tried this? Surely I'm not the first person to consider this.

Where does the mustang's extra .2L of displacement come from? Bore? Stroke?

What are the chances of swapping (obviously ported) ecoboost heads on to a 3.7 for a bump in compression (due to smaller combustion chambers)?

On the flip side, wouldn't 3.7 heads, coupled with larger turbos make an ecoboost really come alive?

I'm kind of an old school hot rodder, and all this new technology seems to muddy up these older tried and true tricks for making power. Kinda like swapping exlporer GT40P heads and intake onto mustang 302 to replace the stock E7TE heads was a cheap bolt on power gain- I'm trying to figure out some "budget upgrade easter eggs" Ford may have built into this new fleet.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Just_A_V6; 06-19-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
PONY Member

Hmmm very interesting thoughts. Subscribing.

2014 F-150 STX Sport SCab - Stock

1967 Coupe 306 roller block, E303 cam X302 heads, Crane 1.7RR, T5, 8.8 rear 3.73, CSRP Power discs
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

This question has been beat on many times on here, do a search.

Ecoboost is direct injected, heads from a ecoboost won't be right on a non-ecoboost motor and vice-versa due to the configuration necessary for the injector placement.

It would be a MUCH easier task to just do a aftermarket turbo kit or even a custom turbo setup than trying to put the ecoboost in a Mustang.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
PONY Member

supersixmotorsports has a fantastic write-up under cyclone tech, it covers a lot of the technical differences between our engine and the ecoboost variants

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
Apprentice

The fact the 3.5 is direct injection. Heads are different requiring fuel modifications. Intake mani is different as well the tuning nightmare. After the price to convert you could have just bought a turbo kit or.... A v8 somewhat kidding on the v8

Current mustang
2013 3.7 MT-82:pony package,pype bomb's axleback and that's all for now
Past mustang
2007 4.0 T-5 :Pony package,pypes axleback, afe cold air intake, bama tuned
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_V6 View Post
Hey all, this is something I've been thinking about for a while now.

What is stopping anyone from taking the exhaust manifolds, turbos, PCM and other related hardware from an ecoboost 3.5L (from an f-150, not a taurus) and swapping them onto a 3.7L in a Mustang?

Has anyone tried this? Surely I'm not the first person to consider this.

Where does the mustang's extra .2L of displacement come from? Bore? Stroke?

What are the chances of swapping (obviously ported) ecoboost heads on to a 3.7 for a bump in compression (due to smaller combustion chambers)?

On the flip side, wouldn't 3.7 heads, coupled with larger turbos make an ecoboost really come alive?

I'm kind of an old school hot rodder, and all this new technology seems to muddy up these older tried and true tricks for making power. Kinda like swapping exlporer GT40P heads and intake onto mustang 302 to replace the stock E7TE heads was a cheap bolt on power gain- I'm trying to figure out some "budget upgrade easter eggs" Ford may have built into this new fleet.

Thoughts?

I would bet that it's going to end up costing a lot more then it would be worth. The biggest difference not included in this post is that the 3.5 ecoboost is direct injection. The effort required to transfer over the direct injection system would be more than I would want for this kind of conversion. Also, I'm not positive, but I would imagine it would be more involved than just putting the pcm from a f-150 into a mustang. There are so many sensors in vehicles these days, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to replace most of the them in order to get the car to run properly, meaning a lot more work.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but an aftermarket turbo kit has got to be way easier and cable of making more power.

2012 Premium V6 Mustang, Candy Red, Performance Package, Manual.

Mods: Steeda Sports, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mount, UMI LCA's, UMI Panhard Bar, Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

"custom turbo setup" is what I was looking towards. I wasn't wanting to "Install ecoboost".

Using some parts already made for other very similar applications, in order to piece together a custom setup...in the spirit of using 305 heads on 350 to bump compression in old chevys, or the previously mentioned gt40P swap on older Ford V8s

The way i see it, there's no reason to custom fab exhaust manifolds *IF* they're already made for an engine in the same family. I'm hoping the f-150 aftermarket makes upgraded manifolds that just HAPPEN to fit 3.7L heads as well, since they're so similar.

I guess I'll have to go take all these measurements myself....surely there's a wrecked ecoboost and a wrecked 3.7L in the same junkyard in this city....
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Also, if anyone can point me i the direction of an aftermarket turbo setup that's available....I'd love to see it. I've been sitting here for over a year with my thumb up my ass waiting on CFM, STS, and the like to make their kits available.....

NVM, found Hellion kits available

Last edited by Just_A_V6; 06-19-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Found Hellion kits available
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
Apprentice

Well, you could probably use some of the parts. You could most likely use the manifolds and turbos from the eco boost. Then you would have to have all of the hot and cold side plumbing done. In the end though if you found the turbos and manifolds on a wrecked f150 that would probably save a few dollars. The only thing though is the variable geometry aspect of the turbos. You would have to find a way to either control that, or just leave the veins wide open all of the time. Then it would be just like any other turbo.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The turbos on the ecoboost are not like regular turbos, and the manifolds are made to work only with those special turbos, basically the turbo and manifold are like one part. So, you couldn't just use the manifolds and other turbos or just the turbos on some other manifolds.

And the wastegates are built into the turbos and are electronically controlled by the pcm, so the idea of using "some" ecoboost parts to do a custom turbo setup just isn't practical.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

As I understand it, PCM is the key. That's what's holding back a crate motor style swap. Crate Ecoboost 6'es are out there, but they won't work with the factory computer. One of the older threads here was one that I started. My conclusion was that we are better off waiting for the market or building our own from scratch.
Rookie

I looked into this a little while back, you can buy the manifolds and turbos from Ford. Ecoboost F150's are making over 400 rwhp so I would love to see what a 3.7 could do with the same turbos. I think that most guys would feel competent enough to finish a turbo setup if they already had the manifolds and turbos. Then again you can always flip the stock manifolds and try to go from there.

Disregard this post, didn't know about the wastegates, or how to delete a post.

2012 3.7 V6 Performance Pack - MRT Interceptors - Steeda CAI -
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, here is what would I was thinking would be IDEAL....

F150 aftermarket begins to offer manifolds for aftermarket turbos (have you seen the size of the flanges!? the ports are TINY!! I can't believe this hole exists in the market, why has no one made these yet!?). These just HAPPEN to fit a 3.7......

Buy larger injectors, possibly whatever is offered for the current supercharger installs, possibly some coyote pieces....

Buy whatever turbos fit the aftermarket flanges on the f150 manifolds.

Buy intercooler (this time, maybe use a taurus piece)

Buy some stainless mandrel bends, clamps, and silicone connections

Have the car tuned, not by a handheld, on a dyno- by a tuner.

Again, this is a dreamy IDEAL scenario. The f150 aftermarket is screwing up my dreams, though....Surely this would be cheaper than 6300-8300 bucks for a hellion kit!!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sadly the aftermarket largely thinks there is no demand for Ford V6 power. And when they release something it costs 2-3 times more than for the previous generation. Can't help but wonder if they equate the low sales with lack of interest without considering how much the things cost? I realize that's a simple minded way of looking at it, but I do think there's a much larger market out there, if something were available, affordable, and was put together with some thought. The Hellion kit is a little snakey/plumbed funny for my liking. But my liking or not, I just can't afford it.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, the cars of yesteryear didn't respond to mods the way these new ones do. Ford screwed up by not building a solid base to build on with those cars. Now that ford's approach has changed, and they're offering a pretty good foundation at a price most anybody can afford, It's time the aftermarket get to work!

These are NOT the same cars as before, we are NOT the same consumers as before!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page