Is that how the Mustang should respond in the rain, or do I have a tire problem? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
V6 Member

It sounds like you have a Pony or MCA pkg car with the 235-50/18's and the all season Pirellis. Mine handled the rain brilliantly when I got it. I frequently drove it in heavy rain w/o any problems at highway speeds. Even at 30 thousand miles I really didn't have any problems either. The tires just got LOUD. So I replaced them.

I don't think it's the tires. :nogrinner

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

What this guy said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviedon View Post
A few things you're going to have to accept with the mustang that are just par for the course.....

1. do not downshift unless absolutely required.......and even then don't make the move until you match the gear you're going to by 10. As in, don't downshift to 3rd until you are at roughly 30mph.
2. limit yourself to no more than half throttle unless driving perfectly straight in rain
3. likewise try to do the majority of your braking in rain while perfectly straight.
4. if you know you're about to go through standing water at speed......feet off the pedals, both hands on the wheel.
Also, I bought some new 285's in the rear and coming from stock basic 215's it certainly helps, but not as much as I would have thought. If you upgrade your tires don't let you confidence get too high. I have great hydroplaning resistance on my new tires, and great lateral grip on turns even in the wet, but I"ll still break lose if I give it too much gas or if I"m at too high of an RPM. Just to test the other day the road was just a bit damp from a rain a few hours ago, I down shifted and gave it about 5k rpm at 70mph, still had some easy spin. Know your tires!

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
MACH I Member

I've never had any problems driving in rain or snow. However mine has an automatic transmission. That might make a substantial difference.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31

Rookie

Try this on for size- You said you came from Subaru, which has all wheel drive, and far less horsepower and probably weighs close to the mustang. Let's face facts here. A Forester isn't built to be a "sports" car. As such, it's gearing isn't aimed towards acceleration, It's aimed at getting torque down on the ground. Also, due to the fact it has less horse power, you've trained yourself to expect a certain output from a given amount of throttle input- i.e. you expect at half throttle to climb in speed at a known rate (X per period of time). Due to the fact that you're used to having all wheel drive, you're NOT used to power ( however small it may have been) being delivered to ONLY the rear wheels, meaning your contact patch available for power delivery is effectively half of what your used too having.

In short, you're asking less contact patch than you're used too, to apply more power than you're used too, in the same amount of time that you're used too. The vehicle dynamics are vastly different between the two cars, and you simply can't drive them in the same manner.

You need to re-learn how to drive in THIS car in order to be as effective behind the wheel as you were in your old Forester. Be safe, and approach your limits and your car's limits slowly.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
I've never had any problems driving in rain or snow. However mine has an automatic transmission. That might make a substantial difference.
I think the right foot has more to do with it than transmission choice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I also started out with the same all season 235/50/18 Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my Pony package and found that heavy rain did not lend to stability. I can only imagine a stick would make it a little touchier.

I used to run Cooper Zeon 2XS tires when I use to autocross in the rain and was sad when I found that they don't make a size for our cars.
I did however find these Nexen N3000 255/45ZR/18 work quite well.

Any tire on any vehicle traveling over 70 MPH rolling over water can hydroplane. (this actually varies with vehicle weight, speed, tread pattern, and water depth)

Granted some tread patterns help evacuate water but once you get above about 70 MPH regardless of tread pattern the water simply cannot be directed out from under the tire fast enough and that means the tire has to roll over (float over) it. IE: Hydroplane

As someone else pointed out you came from an AWD and are now in a solid axle rear drive car with enough engine to spin in the rain easy, just learn the limits somewhere safe!

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
I picked up my 2014 manual v6 at the beginning of April. Since then, I've put on 8,700 miles, a few minor cosmetic things and a set of Roush axle-backs. I'm completely in love with this car, and I'm beyond happy to drive it to work every day. Now, one thing has been on my mine over the past two months...the handling. Let me explain.
I'm 23, and have owned 5 cars and driven dozens more so far. I've experienced a pretty decent range of handling characteristics and personalities , but the Mustang has stumped me. It's so strange (but awesome!) getting the solid rear feel of a truck, yet the highway comfort of a nice car. The main thing I've been a bit confused about it the handling in the wet...
Hello johnrhance,

I recommend you have them checked out at your dealer to make sure there’s nothing else going on. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Apprentice

john,

It sounds like normal mustang behavior to me, I live in the Charlotte NC area where we have had plenty of rain these last few weeks.

Just have to back off the throttle, like others have mentioned, little to no gas while cornering, wait until you have it straightened out to get on it and you should be fine most of the time, and watch out for the glossy looking water puddles on the highway, just coast with the wheel straight though those.

Even with the 255 Eagle F1 Supercar summer tires on the '13 PP it is managable, by wife drives the car about 50% of the time(we switch nearly daily between the car and our '11 FX4) rain or shine with out any incident.

2013 V6 Base Performance Pack - Stock..... for now
2012 V6 Premium - GT front swap..... more to come
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13V6PP View Post
john,

It sounds like normal mustang behavior to me, I live in the Charlotte NC area where we have had plenty of rain these last few weeks.

Just have to back off the throttle, like others have mentioned, little to no gas while cornering, wait until you have it straightened out to get on it and you should be fine most of the time, and watch out for the glossy looking water puddles on the highway, just coast with the wheel straight though those.

Even with the 255 Eagle F1 Supercar summer tires on the '13 PP it is managable, by wife drives the car about 50% of the time(we switch nearly daily between the car and our '11 FX4) rain or shine with out any incident.
Yeah all the rain we had this past month was really taking a heavy toll on our roads. Water has been pooled up all over the place, which is probably why this was on my mind more than usual. I think I was spoiled by AWD and this Mustang is the most powerful car I've owned so I just need to adjust to the driving dynamics. I can tell these tires play a huge part in this though...for example:

One road I drive 7 days a week has two very sharp S-curves. Today in 85F degree sunny weather, I could manage about 35mph before the car started to push a little. When the weather is in the 60s like it has been for a week weeks, I'm lucky to push high 20s. I've never owned a set of tires that were so picky about ambient temps, but I'm not complaining. I love the car and how it drives, and I'm really fortunate to daily drive it.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
Yeah all the rain we had this past month was really taking a heavy toll on our roads. Water has been pooled up all over the place, which is probably why this was on my mind more than usual. I think I was spoiled by AWD and this Mustang is the most powerful car I've owned so I just need to adjust to the driving dynamics. I can tell these tires play a huge part in this though...for example:

One road I drive 7 days a week has two very sharp S-curves. Today in 85F degree sunny weather, I could manage about 35mph before the car started to push a little. When the weather is in the 60s like it has been for a week weeks, I'm lucky to push high 20s. I've never owned a set of tires that were so picky about ambient temps, but I'm not complaining. I love the car and how it drives, and I'm really fortunate to daily drive it.
Try mine, at 35 degrees they are like driving on Hockey Pucks, but right now go around a 25 mile an hour corner at 60 without a problem

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Apprentice

I agree with the majority of posters who have recommended becoming familiar with the intricacies of the Mustang and the differences between a solid axle RWD and your AWD Forrester.

Also, keep in mind that they haven't yet repealed the laws of physics. If your Mustang can spin warm tires on a dry pavement in 100 degree temperature, it's going to be MUCH easier to spin them (reduce traction) on a cold, wet pavement.

My GT came equipped with the Pirelli P235/50/18 Zero Nero All Season tires. I have punched it a few times and easily spun the tires on dry pavement from a 30mph roll. At the same time, driving conservatively, I haven't noticed any lack of control on wet pavement. I don't agree that the issue is based entirely on the tires. I think it may be partially that, but probably more likely the fact that you're not used to the power under the hood that's being transferred to those tires. I'm sure there are better tires out there, but so far I have no complaints with the Pirellis.

Give it a little time for you and the Mustang to get to know each other a little better. And stay safe.

2012 5.0 GT - 6MT82 - Sterling Gray - Premium Sports Interior - Comfort Package - 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels
PONY Member

I was a Pirelli fan boy (235/50-18) until 15,000 miles. After 15,000 miles they had bad traction even on dry roads. I replaced them, worn out and unsafe at 19,000 miles with Cooper ZEON RS3-A. I went up to size 255/45-18 . I only drive around 5,000 miles a year so it will be a few years before i can say how good or bad the Coopers will be. I live in East Tennessee too

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
PONY Member

My Mustang handles better in the rain than in the dry (based on how well i place at an autocross event vs. the competition)... mind is blown.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
Banned

Yeah even with my P255\35ZR20s Nitto NT555s with traction control and stability on I can swing the ass around if I go medium throttle and those tires have really decent channels for water, its the larger wider blocks that are the culprit unlike more standard m+s tires where there are more channels more blocks but less surface area to them. The summer only or all season ultra performance tires are still not really suited for spirited driving in the rain like that.

As a matter of fact I found it harder to swing out the rear with my Pzero's than my Nitto tires in the rain, but it was reverse on dry pavement due to the tire size and different block designs.

You will just have to adjust your driving style for both. You should not have hydroplane issues in strait line highway driving other than excessive puddles.
Apprentice

Garage
I've got 12,000 miles on my stock 18" P-Zero Neros and I have noticed more squirliness in the past month or two. I have an automatic and I drive with all the electronic nannies turned on, but I can certainly tell that I'm getting a little more wheelspin and a bit more of the back end breaking ever so slightly loose if I get on it harder. I would say that part of what you are seeing is tire wear starting to kick in as it gets to some of the harder compound and the temps start to cool down a little.

1973 Mach 1 - Medium Aqua, 351c, functional Ram Air
2013 V6 Premium - Deep Impact Blue, MCA, 3:31 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page