Is that how the Mustang should respond in the rain, or do I have a tire problem? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I wouldn't focus too much on grooves for rain performance... in the end, it seems that a soft compound is at least as important.

Here is an example of driving relatively well in the rain:

Oct 6 2013 BSCC Rain Autocross - My Fastest Run - 2012 V6 Mustang - YouTube

As you can see, you can't give a car much throttle in the rain if you want the tires to stay hooked up.

That run was 6 seconds faster than the next 2011+ mustang that day and there were at least 6 of us. The difference was mostly that the other guys were using way too much throttle and going into slide after slide.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That run was actually very good. I can imagine there were a few spin-outs on some of those turns.

Apprentice

It takes some getting used to, no doubt. We rolled our 95 end over end after getting cutoff in traffic. I had to jerk the wheel to avoid hitting the guy and the back and came around, ended up going sideways at 45 mph and into the median. The median had a dip in the middle that caught the front end, the front end dug in and flipped us over. Scary for sure.

2013 Red Candy Metallic V6 Convertible

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Now that my stock Pirellis have 20k miles, I have definitely noticed a significant decrease in traction all around. Especially now that the temps have dropped so far in east TN, I can spin the tires at will now even on a dry day. They still have 40% tread, but I guess it's time to pony up (pun intended...) the cash and buy a better set before winter really kicks it into high gear (ok, done with the puns). Still trying to decide what set I want to buy. I don't do any performance driving in the car, it's my daily driver and I do 35k miles per year. I'm thinking Conti DWS? Seem like the best choice for my situation.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I didn't know that people actually drive their mustangs in the rain

Preacherman
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
I didn't know that people actually drive their mustangs in the rain
I drive mine rain, snow or shine!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
I drive mine rain, snow or shine!

This. No issues unless I want them to happen. I was scared about commuting in snow(50mi a day) but the car impresses me. That said I run snow tires starting in November. I came from a Wrangler if you want to talk about extremes.

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
This. No issues unless I want them to happen. I was scared about commuting in snow(50mi a day) but the car impresses me. That said I run snow tires starting in November. I came from a Wrangler if you want to talk about extremes.
Heh, here I get to run summers all year.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Rookie

Not to be creepy there john but is your mustang the one that sits at computer pros everyday? Sharp looking car there if it is
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
I wouldn't focus too much on grooves for rain performance... in the end, it seems that a soft compound is at least as important.

Here is an example of driving relatively well in the rain:

Oct 6 2013 BSCC Rain Autocross - My Fastest Run - 2012 V6 Mustang - YouTube

As you can see, you can't give a car much throttle in the rain if you want the tires to stay hooked up.

That run was 6 seconds faster than the next 2011+ mustang that day and there were at least 6 of us. The difference was mostly that the other guys were using way too much throttle and going into slide after slide.
You wanna see how to really drive in the rain (granted its in an F1 car) watch some videos of Aryton Senna.

post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98v8 View Post
Not to be creepy there john but is your mustang the one that sits at computer pros everyday? Sharp looking car there if it is
Haha that's me. Stop in some time and talk shop, we're all car guys over there. My boss drives the Camaro SS and is doing a ZL1 conversion.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page