3.7L V6 Aftermarket cams - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

I would definitely be interested within a year from now. I will be doing air flow and retune (head work, intake work, throttle body, etc). Cams would definitely be on that list, along with whatever else in order to up the RPMs a bit.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

No rollers used on direct actuated buckets. The buckets have what is about, I'd guess, in the neighborhood of a .005" crown. Not sure of that spec though.

PONY Member

id likely end up eating ramen for a few months over it

but id do it at around a grand, or a bit less, were slower than the v8's and we also outnumber those owners.

profit in volume yo

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports

Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

I would love to have some lope to the car!

I will most likely see boost before a 'built' motor, but it is still exciting to see options opening up for us. If they were affordable, and are applicable to different setups (na vs fi), then that is even better!

Please keep us updated on everything!
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

Are we talking N/A cams? FI cams? both? I'd likely be interested as long as the price isn't unreasonable. It would likely be a year or two down the road though... likely going to finish my intake and exhaust first. There's certainly nothing wrong with having more options.
Banned

Well, the LSA can be adjusted via VVT. ICL and ECL, obviously, can too but the trick will be keeping the int/exh duration increase modest because the further you go away from stock the more you're going to have to heavily rely on the tuner where some are not confidence inspiring with lesser mods. Cams only, maybe shoot for moving peak power up another 500rpms which should be able to be compensated for. The spring pressures would have to go up dramatically at that rpm but I also don't have an engine in front of me, with an engine dyno to figure these things out. That's the right way to do it and test longevity of the springs/ability to maintain psi as well.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
I'd want to see dyno charts and hear about driveability first.

The perils of a daily driver.
Definitely interested but um... what he said
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Will the stock springs be up to the task of more lift?

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Apprentice

I would love a set of cams!

-Black 2012 5.0 Mustang (manual); Cobra Jet intake with twin 67mm throttle body; MGW Race Spec shifter; 545g Flossy Shift Knob; MAC axle-back exhaust; SVE black GT4 wheels, 18x9 front, 18x10 rear SOLD
-Ingot Silver 2011 V6 Mustang (auto); 10 psi Procharger supercharged, full exhaust- BBK headers & catted x-pipe/Borla mufflers, 1-piece aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 gears 409rwhp/313rwtq SOLD
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
id likely end up eating ramen for a few months over it

but id do it at around a grand, or a bit less, were slower than the v8's and we also outnumber those owners.

profit in volume yo
Respect.

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
Banned

Does anyone want to give a ballpark on the power increase we would have?
Banned

depends on the vehicle but i know people have seen as much as 30-40rwhp with cams and tune.. espesially with ls1's but we wont know until someone does it for our car
PONY Member
S197 Member

I would be in for a set of cams.
Banned

Streetable on a 3.7? I could go look at the current dyno graphs and visualize some typical graphs from v8's. Look at the gain's per 100rpm increment on an engine with good flowing heads for it's displacement, devide by 8 and multiply by 6....and STILL end up guessing.

My wild stab at it for a 3.7. 20rwhp with no porting to the heads. That will set what rpm the peak hp will be and from there you can make more on either side of peak with port work.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Is it a kit where they will, at least, have some drop in springs. That's the best route to go in my trained point of view. To those pushing the envelope, that stuff doesn't matter but for those who want simplicity, that's the most marketable way to go about it and ...it will open doors to more grinds later possibly. Just a suggestion if it hasn't already been discussed.

Oh....MORE than "just" enough spring pressure to get the job done too please. lol Like add 25lb to both seat and open pressure over what cam companies typically recommend. This accounts for loss of psi as miles are put on and the springs settle. This is a case where a little more is better than not enough or just enough.

I assume it'll be stock lift to keep it an easy swap without searching through several boxes of "bucket" to achieve the desired lash. Then there's installed height of the spring, stem protrusion of where the locks actually locate, etc. Just more aggressive ramps to get more duration under the lift curve?
Ha, you think the same way I do. Lift is being slightly increased, overlap moreso. Profiles being modded so as not to require tweaking of the cam tables in the ECU. Custom springs being made.

STMotorsports is looking at a complete kit for purchase. If you are in SoCal, they will install the kit. To include crank, pistons, rings, rods, heads, valves, valve springs, cams, etc., Damper Valve length on my engine is left oversize until cams are matched to heads, and valve stem can be machined to requirements.

Right now cam profile is being checked installed in heads, as valves were received this week. Preparation for master cam, hence the whole reason for this thread. If the article in MM and FF comes to fruition, lots of info will be provided.

I just got my personalized license plates SLEEPR 6. Can't wait to see this mustang on a dyno.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page