3.7L V6 Aftermarket cams - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaEthan View Post
Are we talking N/A cams? FI cams? both? I'd likely be interested as long as the price isn't unreasonable. It would likely be a year or two down the road though... likely going to finish my intake and exhaust first. There's certainly nothing wrong with having more options.
Blown cams right now, N/A shortly after.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

We are hoping for 700 - 750 HP blown. We will see how the engine does N/A first, break it in, then add a 10 rib pully system, and see what numbers we can get. I'll keep everyone informed as best as I can.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
Ha, you think the same way I do. Lift is being slightly increased, overlap moreso. Profiles being modded so as not to require tweaking of the cam tables in the ECU. Custom springs being made.

STMotorsports is looking at a complete kit for purchase. If you are in SoCal, they will install the kit. To include crank, pistons, rings, rods, heads, valves, valve springs, cams, etc., Damper Valve length on my engine is left oversize until cams are matched to heads, and valve stem can be machined to requirements.

Right now cam profile is being checked installed in heads, as valves were received this week. Preparation for master cam, hence the whole reason for this thread. If the article in MM and FF comes to fruition, lots of info will be provided.

I just got my personalized license plates SLEEPR 6. Can't wait to see this mustang on a dyno.
Thank you for the update and I look forward to reading about it.

PONY Member

Frank you are the man

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
SHELBY GT 350 Member

No cams for Mud but max respect for you folks pushing the envelope......

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

I would be interested! Would they be looking for a test car for NA applications? :laughlitt

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBlackStang View Post
I would be interested! Would they be looking for a test car for NA applications? :laughlitt
I will let Adam know of your interest.
PONY Member

count me in on NA cams!

2011 3.7 Mustang (Airiad CAI | Borla headers | Borla x-pipe | X-Force Varex Exhuast |3.73 gears |DSS driveshaft| 93R Tune )( GT Bumper-Black Retro grille | GT500 Spoiler | CDC deck lid panel | SR Lowering springs) SOLD

Camaro SS 2001 (D1SC dual intercooled|H/C/I| & other mods|)
530rwhp at 8psi SOLD

2013 5.0 Mustang Manual (stock)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu Jacoub View Post
count me in on NA cams!
Off topic but have you dyno'd with the Borla LT's. I'm just looking for some numbers on them.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

What's the word? Any updates? Are they in another thread?
Banned

I spoke with Frank not that long ago (2 weeks ago?) and they are still a work in progress. I'm sure he'll give updates as soon as everything is settled.
PONY Member

Now this may seem like an odd question but since our variable cam timing on the 3.7l is dependant on the resistance of spring pressures of the valve springs, wouldn't adding overall stiffer valve springs necessary to fight valve float for higher rpm's and more lift substantially change how the TiVCT will behave? Our vct doesn't use oil pressure to change cam timing like a Honda... I haven"t read many posts on the 5.0's with aftermarket cams, but I think they have to use phase limiters in order to prevent fowling pistons into valves and I have no idea how much more complicated that makes the tune.

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare37 View Post
Now this may seem like an odd question but since our variable cam timing on the 3.7l is dependant on the resistance of spring pressures of the valve springs, wouldn't adding overall stiffer valve springs necessary to fight valve float for higher rpm's and more lift substantially change how the TiVCT will behave? Our vct doesn't use oil pressure to change cam timing like a Honda... I haven"t read many posts on the 5.0's with aftermarket cams, but I think they have to use phase limiters in order to prevent fowling pistons into valves and I have no idea how much more complicated that makes the tune.
"Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by Ford. It allows for more optimum engine performance, reduced emissions, and increased fuel efficiency compared to engines with fixed camshafts. It uses electronically controlled hydraulic valves that direct high pressure engine oil into the camshaft phaser cavity. "

"Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) is the name given by Ford to engines with the ability to vary the camshaft timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently. Despite the name difference, its operation is the same as standard VCT. Unlike the original versions of VCT, which only operated on a single camshaft, Ti-VCT allows the PCM to advance or retard the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently. "

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
I'd be interested in NA cams, nothing to aggressive, but a bump up from stock and streetable.

I'm not willing to pay $1k for them (not regrinds) like the one poster mentioned, thats for sure. Maybe around $300 per cam for regrinds. So $600 total, maybe $700 total depending on the company.
I'm with Southern, They'd have to be under 1k for me to get interested. I'd really like to see a dyno on any increases or even 1/4 mile times on the same car.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigalsixer View Post
"Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by Ford. It allows for more optimum engine performance, reduced emissions, and increased fuel efficiency compared to engines with fixed camshafts. It uses electronically controlled hydraulic valves that direct high pressure engine oil into the camshaft phaser cavity. "

"Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) is the name given by Ford to engines with the ability to vary the camshaft timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently. Despite the name difference, its operation is the same as standard VCT. Unlike the original versions of VCT, which only operated on a single camshaft, Ti-VCT allows the PCM to advance or retard the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently. "
You described how the Honda mimicked cam timing works on most old styled vct systems using high pressure engine oil to advance/regard timing.

The Ti-VCT system our mustang uses is a "cam torque" actuated system developed by Borg warner... Here read this:

Quote:
uses a Ti-VCT system actuated by camshaft torque, with assistance from pressurized oil. Using camshaft torque energy provides even faster throttle response and maximizes use of existing energy to aid fuel economy. Working like a ratchet, the one-way valves allow precise timing of camshaft events, continually optimizing timing to provide maximum torque or maximum fuel economy, based on driver input.
"Ti-VCT technology will continue to proliferate across the Ford powertrain portfolio," said Samardzich. "By 2013, you can expect to see this advancement available on 90 percent of our nameplates."
Since it is a system based off of the resistance of valve spring pressure I'm betting it may be sensitive to it if you go with stiffer springs.

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page