Shorties and Borla Stingeres= Amazing Sound - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
J Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
I think why these shorties don't "require" a tune is because while they do throw off the air to fuel ratio, it's within the ECU's ability to compensate for it. My car was compensating by electronically limiting throttle at certain points where the tune was becoming to lean to just retard timing. This was happening in the 2500-4500 rpm range and in the 6000-7500 rpm range. the other rpm ranges the tune was still lean... just not to lean to the point the throttle was being closed slightly. This was on a WOT run from 5-80 mph. From my amateur point of view from what ive seen in my datalogs.

The tune will give you the gains and power. It's not "necessary" but you won't get all the power out of the shorties you can.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Did you notice any idle issues? Mine has been sketchy, and drops to 600 and almost stalls. I guess I need to do the re-learn again, I think I missed a step.

My AFRs and LTFTs were good. My AFR at WOT was 12.5 which is safe as far as I know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
Did you notice any idle issues? Mine has been sketchy, and drops to 600 and almost stalls. I guess I need to do the re-learn again, I think I missed a step.

My AFRs and LTFTs were good. My AFR at WOT was 12.5 which is safe as far as I know.
I did the relearn so my idle is pretty good.

But when it used to be at 650-750 rpm it would dip sometimes when putting it into park from drive. Or be a little bit erratic very rarely.

I set the idle at 900 a couple months ago and its clean now and never dips.

Maybe try raising the idle a bit? It worked for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
J Orbit

Hmm, might have to try that if it doesn't clear up after a couple of days driving.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post

Mine idled a bit funny at first but once I got my datalog and new tune everything became perfect. As everyone else said the revised tune makes a noticable difference.

Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Competition Quad Tip Axle Back, 93R Bama Tuning, 3.31 Gears, PP
post #125 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just received my new tune. All I can say is wow. Pulls out the hole like a 4.6, my tires literally began producing SMOKE mashing it off idle in drive. I wouldn't have believed my car can do this.
It lifts the front end now hard and the 2-4500 rpm range is just plain meaty. No loss of power, no feeling of no acceleration until 4k, it starts moving out as soon as the gas is hit.

After 5k rpm it really screams to the 7500 rpm red line.

I banged the limiter the first time because I was NOT used to how fast it revs through the 6500 rpm range. When I banged the limiter I shifted into 2nd, and in 105 degree weather, with the street paved maybe 6 months ago, I got 4-5 rotations of the tires and got sideways into second gear. In 100 degree weather.

All I can say is that never happened before the headers. And I have over 75 percent tread left on my potenza's so it isn't the tires.

I need to race some people with my new tune... and see the outcome.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page