2011 V6 MT Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry 2011 V6 MT Issues

Well just wanted to vent a little and run this by every one and what they think.

Well my car started shifting hard and before I could take it in. It stopped letting me shift while the car was running. I could put it in gear and start it then take off like normal but I just couldn't shift out of that gear but I can stop and go all I want. So I had it towed to the closet dealer.

They called me today and told me it needs a new clutch. 2300 dollars and they will fix it as its not a warranty issue. Car only has 31k on it still under basic warranty. So i hung up to think about it. Called back and asked for a quote faxed to me and a parts list. They told me that it needs a new clutch disk, Master and Slave cylinder and Pilot bearing...

Ive worked in the auto industry since I was 16. Never once have I had to replace all that with a clutch job. Usually just the disk and pressure plate.

Ive read online that these MT transmissions can have issues and not a clutch problem. And shouldn't the Slave and Master cylinder be covered under warranty? I feel 2300 is a bit steep.

2011 3.7L MT, Magnaflow Competition Axle Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013
Rookie

Well,i wouldn't have them do the work for that price.
I would take it to a performance shop and have better
parts installed.

For that price you could have a one piece aluminum
flywheel and better clutch put in.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ya Im trying to get them to get the slave and master cylinder under warranty and if they do that Im going to hand them a one piece flywheel and clutch and have them put that in. I just dont think its the clutch.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74novaguy View Post
Ya Im trying to get them to get the slave and master cylinder under warranty and if they do that Im going to hand them a one piece flywheel and clutch and have them put that in. I just dont think its the clutch.
My car had a very similar issue and it was the slave cylinder. I went ahead and upgraded to a Spec Stage 1 clutch and Spec aluminum flywheel while the trans was out of the car.

My car was still under warranty but I didn't even bother taking it to the dealer with the mods that I had. I had a friend of mine do it at his shop.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28th1s View Post
My car had a very similar issue and it was the slave cylinder. I went ahead and upgraded to a Spec Stage 1 clutch and Spec aluminum flywheel
How do you like the solid flywheel? Did it get rid of that vibration at around 2800 rpm?

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013
Rookie

Quote:
How do you like the solid flywheel? Did it get rid of that vibration at around 2800 rpm?
I would like to know as well...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Well just wanted to vent a little and run this by every one and what they think.

Well my car started shifting hard and before I could take it in. It stopped letting me shift while the car was running. I could put it in gear and start it then take off like normal but I just couldn't shift out of that gear but I can stop and go all I want. So I had it towed to the closet dealer.

They called me today and told me it needs a new clutch. 2300 dollars and they will fix it as its not a warranty issue. Car only has 31k on it still under basic warranty. So i hung up to think about it. Called back and asked for a quote faxed to me and a parts list. They told me that it needs a new clutch disk, Master and Slave cylinder and Pilot bearing...

Ive worked in the auto industry since I was 16. Never once have I had to replace all that with a clutch job. Usually just the disk and pressure plate.

Ive read online that these MT transmissions can have issues and not a clutch problem. And shouldn't the Slave and Master cylinder be covered under warranty? I feel 2300 is a bit steep.
PM Deysha, this isn't a normal sounding failure.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
I would like to know as well...
Yes, it got rid of that vibration. The aluminum flywheel does give you a little 'chatter' if you are at low RPM's (less than around 1,800) with the car under load. This is the 2nd car I have had with an aluminum flywheel and they both did the same thing.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013
djwhiplash2001

If they're saying your master/slave cylinder went, that's covered under warranty and also ruined your clutch, if that needs to be replaced.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well just got off the phone with the dealer. Now they want 450 dollars for tear down time so they can take the transmission out and actually see if its the clutch or slave cylinder. And the master cylinder was just extra in there cuz if I'm changing the clutch I should change it too as the adviser said.

Im still arguing if your saying its a clutch disengagement issue then its not the clutch disk. its gonna be a slave cylinder issue or master cylinder issue or something is warped with all of that is warranty. but the tech wont agree to that so im assuming there having the lube tech working on it.

So I'm gonna have it picked up and taken to a more reputable dealer for a second opinion.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Good idea. The dealer you've been talking to seems flakey.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
PONY Member

Call up a few dealerships, see what they're response is. You also have to add in the competence of the "Service Advisors" you're talking to.

Did you get any noise when shifting at high rpms? I'll shift at around 5k, and I get a lot of noise (engages fine, sounds like pressure plate?). Is this also due to our dual mass flywheel too?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaV6 View Post
Call up a few dealerships, see what they're response is. You also have to add in the competence of the "Service Advisors" you're talking to.

Did you get any noise when shifting at high rpms? I'll shift at around 5k, and I get a lot of noise (engages fine, sounds like pressure plate?). Is this also due to our dual mass flywheel too?
I cant shift at all. wont come out of gear. I have to pick a gear I want, then start the car then drive but I can stop and go with the engine running like normal but cant pull it outta gear till i shut the engine off. its stuck in that gear. which tells me one the clutch disk is fine. two its either and issue of the clutch remaining engaged a little from a pressure plate or slave cylinder issue or something inside the transmission is messed up.

djwhiplash2001

Does your pedal act normal or does it just sink to the floor?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhiplash2001 View Post
Does your pedal act normal or does it just sink to the floor?
Pedal acts normal but does feel like it has a notch in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page