2012 V6 PP - gear whine.. anyone else? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2012 V6 PP - gear whine.. anyone else?

I've noticed recently when I'm cruising along at a steady speed that there is a bit of gear whine... I'm not sure if it's rear end or transmission, but at first I was thinking it might be the tires, until I realized that it changes sound/goes away depending on whether I'm pressing on the gas pedal (even just a little bit) to eliminate the "slack" in the drivetrain. It seems like it might be the trans, as I've also noticed that I can hear the synchros (I think) 'spinning up' as I go between gears.

The car has 26k miles on it.. is this normal behavior for the trans in this car?

I'm sort of hard of hearing (deaf) in one ear, and partially in the other.. so it's hard to say if this has been happening for a while without me noticing.. I just happened to notice it the other day.

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013
MACH I Member

There is a slight whine in the transmission, which I wouldn't worry about too much. If it is loud, may be worth getting looked at? (not sure)

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

After doing some more driving this morning, I'm pretty sure it's the rear end. It maintains a constant change in pitch based on increase in speed, and doesn't change pitch based on the gear I'm in. It's most noticeable (and fairly annoying) at 50 mph in 5th gear, maintaining constant speed... I think I may take it in to have it checked out... and while I'm there, see if there's anything they can do about the flaking clearcoat on my PP wheels.

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

The tranny does have a slight whine even when everything is normal. I had a a problem where my tranny was making loud whines as if its the synchros going. I went to my dealership and that exactly what it was. They replaced my 4th and 3rd gear synchros.

2018 GT Magnetic
Active Exhaust
Black Accent Package
6 SPD MT
BBK Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Catted Mid-Pipe
Dyno Tune by Rob Shoemaker
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013
Banned

That's the same type of noise I hear from mine occasionally. If I catch it just right, with light load on the drive train, I can hear a whine from the rear. Only does it in certain conditions, but it's annoying when I do hear it. As for the trans, mine has been replaced already...it started whining louder than normal one day, then locked me out of 1st, 2nd a few times. The new trans is whining a little, but it hasn't changed much since day 1. I've thrown a few 7K rpm shifts at it, and still hanging in there.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013
PONY Member

The sound could be the universal joint also. Just saying.....

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic Trans. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 59,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_gecko View Post
I've noticed recently when I'm cruising along at a steady speed that there is a bit of gear whine... I'm not sure if it's rear end or transmission, but at first I was thinking it might be the tires, until I realized that it changes sound/goes away depending on whether I'm pressing on the gas pedal (even just a little bit) to eliminate the "slack" in the drivetrain. It seems like it might be the trans, as I've also noticed that I can hear the synchros (I think) 'spinning up' as I go between gears.

The car has 26k miles on it.. is this normal behavior for the trans in this car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil87GN View Post
That's the same type of noise I hear from mine occasionally. If I catch it just right, with light load on the drive train, I can hear a whine from the rear. Only does it in certain conditions, but it's annoying when I do hear it. As for the trans, mine has been replaced already...it started whining louder than normal one day, then locked me out of 1st, 2nd a few times. The new trans is whining a little, but it hasn't changed much since day 1. I've thrown a few 7K rpm shifts at it, and still hanging in there.
You should have them checked out and make sure thereís nothing else going on, guys. Be sure to speak to your Service Manager about the noise. He/she is in the best position to let you know if there is work needed, and about and coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.).

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page