Resonator installation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Resonator installation

So now I think I am going to try adding resonators to my 2012 V6 by myself. I took the stock pipe off the stock X-pipe. The pipes are 2-1/4" diameter. Dumb question... do I need a 2-14" outlet diameter ends on resonator or do I go 2-1/2"? Also I see the driver side pipe is flattened. I think I saw a forum somewhere saying that is normal? (I can't find that fact right now, though). Nothing was damaged underneath, so I don't think it was squashed (I bought the car used). I want to clamp the resonators on, so I guess I'll have to hammer the pipe back to round. Anything else I need to know? Think I'm getting a 18" resonator. Just wanting to ask for any tips from someone who has done this themself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013
PONY Member

the flattened exhaust is normal. my car has spots that i noticed when i was at steeda and the tech said he sees it all the time. they come like that new.... how do you plan on removing the 18" from your exhaust to fit these resonators?

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013
PONY Member

It's not as straightforward as you think. I haven't done this yet but I've researched it. The pipe will need cut wherever the resonators go and apparently there's barely enough room for 18" but a "shop should be able to handle it"

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

To RebelTx, I'm thinking of connecting at the end of the stock x pipe. Looks like I'll have to either grind the nib on the x pipe, (that the stock clamp slips over) or maybe cut a small notch in resonator. Then, I'm hoping I can force a small angle in the resonator connection to match the turn the stock pipe has, and cut the proper length of pipe out. Since I don't weld, I'll get stainless steel muffler clamps to connect the resonator end near rear axle. Hopefully I can bend it enough to match the correct angle. The front connection I hope to use the stock clamp. The driver's side, I'll assuming I'll have to hammer the pipe connection round or use a metal pipe or cone to pound it from the inside, to round it out. Why would they make a flattened pipe? Sounds like stupid thing to do. Anyway, does this sound OK or should I just pay a muffler shop to do it? If the cost is $50- $75, I might, but I'm short on cash and clamping sounds reasonable if I'm not thinking of some major complication. I'm also thinking of a glasspacks like a thrush cherry bomb. My whole reason for this is because I don't like the drone from my Bassani axle back. The majority of replies to my exhaust drone issue is to use resonators. That or sell them and get something else (Borla touring is my choice) I'm going to get shorty headers in the next year and maybe catted x-pipe from BBK, so the sound will only increase. That's one other reason for resonators. So.. am I logical in my thinking?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013
Apprentice

I'm about to do the same modification/fix to my v6.

I currently have BBK shorty headers, and Pypes bombs axlebacks. The o/r x-pipes are in the air from Lethal Performance.

I'm happy with the deep "sound" created by the Pypes axlebacks, but i've recently been invited to track days, and feel I needed to remove my cat/mid-pipe for more performance.

There is a guy on youtube that installed 18" resonator glasspacks on his sixxer. IMO, It sounds deep, smooth and rasp free.

2011 Mustang V6 Roush Exhaust + 18" Glasspack Resonators
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

That guy cut the pipe behind the stock x pipe connector and welded the resonator. Couldn't I just clamp the resonator right to the x pipe with a muffler clamp? That way I only cut the pipe once. Or is the bend in the pipe from the x pipe to the axle too severe to make a resonator fit?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013
PONY Member

You are better off saving up some cash and letting a shop weld on the resonators.

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013
Apprentice

I'm guessing guy used the oem slider connection to have a leak free setup. If the inside diameter of the resonator inlet matches the outside diameter of the sock x-pipe, the muffler camp should work.

The axleback exhaust section is straight , then curves "over" the axle and rear sway bars to meet the muffler.

i.e.

Charlie Santos show his setup with GT resonators.
3.7L Mustang BBK Headers AFTER Resonators installed - YouTube
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingThunder View Post
I'm guessing guy used the oem slider connection to have a leak free setup. If the inside diameter of the resonator inlet matches the outside diameter of the sock x-pipe, the muffler camp should work.

The axleback exhaust section is straight , then curves "over" the axle and rear sway bars to meet the muffler.

3.7L Mustang BBK Headers AFTER Resonators installed - YouTube
This is a complete reconfig of the exhaust layout and likely the only way you may fit 18" resonators on our car. If you have a standard or aftermarket O/R X/H pipe in the "normal" position you can only fit 12" resonators and if you are lowered they will likely rub on wide speed bumps. Trust me after 8 shop appointments setting up my exhaust and trial and error this is the reality of it. BTW 12" are plenty, get the Vibrants. I have no rasp with my Lethal OR H!
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandToSea View Post
This is a complete reconfig of the exhaust layout and likely the only way you may fit 18" resonators on our car. If you have a standard or aftermarket O/R X/H pipe in the "normal" position you can only fit 12" resonators and if you are lowered they will likely rub on wide speed bumps. Trust me after 8 shop appointments setting up my exhaust and trial and error this is the reality of it. BTW 12" are plenty, get the Vibrants. I have no rasp with my Lethal OR H!
12'' standard vibrants? I was looking at the ultra quiets but they look huge! Did it just take care of rasp or did volume drop as well? Cause I kind of like the volume and the hollow type of sound it gives off. Just not too fond of the wheezy raspy sound, but I can live with it too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
PONY Member

I would avoid glasspacks. They will always need replaced down the road
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtu245 View Post
12'' standard vibrants? I was looking at the ultra quiets but they look huge! Did it just take care of rasp or did volume drop as well? Cause I kind of like the volume and the hollow type of sound it gives off. Just not too fond of the wheezy raspy sound, but I can live with it too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No volume reduction on my setup but hard to say what yours will do. Exhaust sound & volume is such a subjective thing you really just have to try things out unless you replicate something you have heard IN PERSON and are sure is what YOU like. I can tell you my O/R H added unacceptable rasp and the Vibrants resolved it.

I am not saying this is what my exhaust sounds like in person and why I stated what I did above but here you go anyway FYI.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRCooMWK50
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

OK here's what I did today, just a dry run. I bought Dynomax Thrush glasspacks, 25 inch long, 2.25 inch diameter in/outlets. I think years ago they were called Cherrybombs, they are painted bright red. Anyway, I just loose fit them to the stock X-pipe then (again) loose fit my Bassani directly to them. They would actually look good if there wasn't a clearance problem with the gas tank. They curve out just in front of the rear wheel. Anyway, no drone, but then of course I couldn't drive the car... They really cut back on the pipey sound from the Bassanis, even to the point of making them too quiet. The other thing I have to say is, I'd have to cut twice, just before the flattened part of drivers side pipe, and just after, where it goes round again. This is the straight part of the pipe. Same thing on passenger side, without the flattened pipe. This way you fit it in the straight section of pipe, and the 25 inch fits in that section perfectly. I then have to get some sleeve type stainless clamps. They are $10 apiece but Thrush glasspacks are cheap ($22 each- Advance auto) Now, I don't know when I'll get to it, been busy this summer. Maybe a winter project. But now I know this will work. Just measure the length of the straight part of pipe, there is a lot of room, except for that stupid flat part! Hope this helps anyone who thinks they want to do themselves. People say glasspacks are not durable, but I'll take my chances.
PONY Member

You'll have to replace them after a year, real talk. It's better and cheaper to just get true resonators.

How the heck did you fit 25" length? The most I heard of was 18 and since LandToSea said 12" was plenty to get rid of the rasp, I'll be going with that.
Banned

Based on how many times myself and my exhaust fabricators have stood under the car and brainstormed on how to best fit larger resonators before installing the 12" I doubt this will actually work. He MAY be able to JUST squeeze them in that space but there are two issues
1. Clearances up and down
2. Connecting right off of a bend in both directions is not going to allow a good secure connection especially with clamps!

Good luck, I would love to see it work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page