Off road x-pipe question(s) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Off road x-pipe question(s)

So i'm seriously considering picking up a NON catted off road x pipe... I have a couple questions though

1) I don't want a CEL. Do i HAVE to have a tune to get rid of it? Or is there some other way?
2) what the power gains look like? 5hp? 10? 15?
3) With stock exhaust other than the x pipe, will it be obnoxiously loud?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
So i'm seriously considering picking up a NON catted off road x pipe... I have a couple questions though

1) I don't want a CEL. Do i HAVE to have a tune to get rid of it? Or is there some other way?

Thanks.
1) Yes.
2) I have not dyno'd my car specifically but I have seen gains of 15hp+ for the LTs & O/R X
3) No I have the stock ABs and at idle it sounds pretty much stock. No drone. No obnoxious noise. When I return from deployment, I'll be installing resonators and Roush ABs.

Bottom line. Get the tune. Get the LT Headers. Get the O/R X. You'll love it.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnast52 View Post
1) Yes.
2) I have not dyno'd my car specifically but I have seen gains of 15hp+ for the LTs & O/R X
3) No I have the stock ABs and at idle it sounds pretty much stock. No drone. No obnoxious noise. When I return from deployment, I'll be installing resonators and Roush ABs.

Bottom line. Get the tune. Get the LT Headers. Get the O/R X. You'll love it.
Hope you get home safe. Thanks for your service.

I guess i'll be holding off on it then, I don't want to tune it until the warranty is up...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013
Apprentice

A tune is the easiest part to remove for warranty work. Maybe 5 minutes max to load the stock tune. If you are worried about a warranty issue coming up, I would advise against an offroad x pipe. If you plan on taking off the x pipe when you have to go to the dealership then a tune should be 100 times easier.

FRPP 3.55 - DSS driveshaft - LMR SVE Drift 19x9.5 - Falken FK452 275/40/19 - Eibach Sportlines - Airaid Intake - Bama Tune
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Why would i need to remove the X-pipe to go to the dealer? couldn't they only void the warranty on exhaust work? I was only worried about the tune because if something happened related to the engine they could void it due to the tune i thought?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013
Apprentice

I have heard dealers don't care and also dealer voided everything for very simple mods. If you mess with the cats I have a feeling the dealership will find some way to screw you. My roommate had to take his 13 GT in and we put the stock cats back on so there were no issues.

I believe the removal of the cats will be the main issue with the dealership, what they can and cannot void I do not know.

FRPP 3.55 - DSS driveshaft - LMR SVE Drift 19x9.5 - Falken FK452 275/40/19 - Eibach Sportlines - Airaid Intake - Bama Tune
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Hmm. I will have to look into this more. I guess no x-pipe for me though.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013
J Orbit

I ran cat-less on one of my old cars for a few weeks and I swear I could actually hear mother earth crying. OK that's a bit dramatic but you should be prepared to smell like hydrocarbons.

IMO it's not worth the hassle, expense nor the decrease in air quality. Pollution is so bad in Dallas they tell you to stay inside on some days. Apparently working outside here is like smoking a pack a day. Wether you believe in anthropromorphic (sp) climate change or not, carcinogens are bad and totally not worth a few HP here for the sake of bragging rights.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013
PONY Member

Quote:

Thanks.
I seriously googled this in under 5 seconds....https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...rwhp-gain.html

There are a bunch of videos on youtube with sound clips of an offroad x with and w/o resonators. That will give you a sound gauge to go off of. I know you're excited about the possible purchase but, take some time and do a little research in the future.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

So a YouTube video or two shot with a **** low quality microphone will replace people's first hand experiences with their own ears? On top of that, i asked how the x-pipe sounded, not the sound of dyno rollers spooling up and down.
PONY Member

You can delete this post............ my bad

Last edited by KonaV6; 08-13-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Repeat Accident
PONY Member

Quote:
So a YouTube video or two shot with a **** low quality microphone will replace people's first hand experiences with their own ears? On top of that, i asked how the x-pipe sounded, not the sound of dyno rollers spooling up and down.
The link provided answered 1 and 2. I stated there are youtube videos of 3.7 offroad x pipe sound clips, just SEARCH! Some of those videos came from members on this site and the sounds not that bad. Again, do some research yourself. You already suckered me into giving you the first link! If you're okay with everyone else doing the work for you, just sit back and relax then
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaV6 View Post
The link provided answered 1 and 2. I stated there are youtube videos of 3.7 offroad x pipe sound clips, just SEARCH! Some of those videos came from members on this site and the sounds not that bad. Again, do some research yourself. You already suckered me into giving you the first link! If you're okay with everyone else doing the work for you, just sit back and relax then
Hang on. Question one was related to removing the CEL. Your link had nothing but a sound and (inaccurate) dyno pull. He dyno'd 224hp and last time i checked 36.2% drive train loss means something is very, very wrong.
PONY Member

Quote:
Hang on. Question one was related to removing the CEL. Your link had nothing but a sound and (inaccurate) dyno pull. He dyno'd 224hp and last time i checked 36.2% drive train loss means something is very, very wrong.
See you did some research to find that out, it was an automatic (= more loss) and not all dynos are the same. The same dyno showed gains with stock tune and just the x pipe. The tune removed the CEL in this case. Are we done now?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

I did some research to find out what exactly? I knew from background knowledge a car should not be losing 36.2% of its power through the drive train, and it took all of ~5 second to calculate that. Are we done now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page