3.7 true top speed (no limit) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

3.7 true top speed (no limit)

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to take there 3.7 out to the Texas mile or something like that where you could find a cars true top speed. I know the factory limit is around 115 but I know the car will go faster with things like tune and drive shaft. So... Anyone?

Pure curiosity here, please don't go blasting down the freeway to find out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
J Orbit

I've heard rumors from anonymous sources that it's possible that they hit 140 and feel like they'd hit 160 no problem.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
I've heard rumors from anonymous sources that it's possible that they hit 140 and feel like they'd hit 160 no problem.
I'm curious what the car's stability would be like at that speed.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
Banned

150+ is VERY possible. I cant say how I know because some people will get their panties in a bunch and cry about risks.

Tune, Tires, Driveshaft.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
J Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorian View Post
I'm curious what the car's stability would be like at that speed.
That was on a stock one, now that it's lowered and properly dampend it should be even better. I hear that they feel very stable at speed but I'm sure a spoiler might help..
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
PONY Member

Reached 155 once on an empty desert road, could easily get 160 but a low tire pressure warning came up and that stopped me from going on

2011 3.7 Mustang (Airiad CAI | Borla headers | Borla x-pipe | X-Force Varex Exhuast |3.73 gears |DSS driveshaft| 93R Tune )( GT Bumper-Black Retro grille | GT500 Spoiler | CDC deck lid panel | SR Lowering springs) SOLD

Camaro SS 2001 (D1SC dual intercooled|H/C/I| & other mods|)
530rwhp at 8psi SOLD

2013 5.0 Mustang Manual (stock)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
GT Member

I've come close to 150 and let off because I was a pus lol car kept pulling, especially with a few pounds of boost behind it.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you ever decide you want to do this on a public highway, phone the local police department and tell them what stretch of highway, the date, and the time of the test. For a fee they will prepare a test permit, and present it to you after the test.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
ANYTHING can hit 140 given proper tires and enough room, this thing will have a drag limited top speed pushing 170 i would wager a guess. Would take a really, REALLY long time to get there... But it would. You'd actually be surprised what kind of car will break the 150 barrier... My winter beater (2004 Nissan maxima) hit 151 (NOTE: NOT on the street) and it had 40 less hp and had a higher drag co-efficient.
Seadog

I had a 72 Comet with 302 that had a three spd auto, 2.73 rear, and the usual minor mods for that period. It hit over 160 mph on more than one occasion. The speedo only went to 120, but the radar for the HiPo pegged at 160.
J Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
ANYTHING can hit 140 given proper tires and enough room, this thing will have a drag limited top speed pushing 170 i would wager a guess. Would take a really, REALLY long time to get there... But it would. You'd actually be surprised what kind of car will break the 150 barrier... My winter beater (2004 Nissan maxima) hit 151 (NOTE: NOT on the street) and it had 40 less hp and had a higher drag co-efficient.
I had a modded 03 Accord V6 with a 6 speed and it felt like it would hit 170 but the limiter kicks in at 135 and it's like it hits a wall. My Old SER would do 140 with 5 people in it no problem. It was funny watching the antennae bend backwards at speed.
Apprentice

87 Accord would do 120 with 4 people in it, for extended periods.

The mustang definitely does 140 with ease. Would be interesting to see the true top speed....
Apprentice

Texas Mile is on my bucket list, be it in my Mustang or something else, but I suspect you'd need 2-3 miles to get close to a stock V6's theoretical top speed. I do want to see what 140 or so would feel like without getting arrested. Without a spoiler, not sure how the car would act at higher speeds.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPinTX View Post
Texas Mile is on my bucket list, be it in my Mustang or something else, but I suspect you'd need 2-3 miles to get close to a stock V6's theoretical top speed. I do want to see what 140 or so would feel like without getting arrested. Without a spoiler, not sure how the car would act at higher speeds.

I drove halfway accross the country to run the Texas Mile and it was absolutely worth the two day drive plus $1,000+ expenditure all things considered. Yes one mile is nowhere near enough to reach absolute top speed, my car was still pulling hard passed 150mph but the 3.73 gears killed the fun early. With a smooth road and optimal gears I see the 3.7 hitting 165 and the 5.0 hitting 175-180. Stability on my lowered and Koni damped car was superb, I would have no worries at that speed so long as my tires don't get a puncture or something jumps out in front.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
If you ever decide you want to do this on a public highway, phone the local police department and tell them what stretch of highway, the date, and the time of the test. For a fee they will prepare a test permit, and present it to you after the test.
I can't believe no one commented on this. Well done sir.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in