Finally got the 3.73s installed. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Finally got the 3.73s installed.

What an amazing difference! If I would have had any clue that would have been the first mod. For your viewing pleasure I snapped a few photos. The last one is of Mark's Super charged fox body. I can hardly wait for the roads to dry out. I just got back from a road trip that netted 30.5 MPG. Will let you guys know the difference when I get back tomorrow with the new gears. Oh yeah the cost was $300. The boys at Soles Auto in Delco, N.C. did a super nice job plus he let me watch which tells me he is honest and has nothing to hide.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.73s installed 01.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	256722   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.73s installed 02.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	256730   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.73s installed 03.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	256738   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.73s installed 04.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	256746  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Gears are great for that pushed back in your seat feeling. Almost any car benefits from lower gears, even those that don't make much power feel like they have balls when they are properly geared. Fuel economy suffers, but we don't really buy muscle cars for economy now do we?

95' GT. GT40X heads. XE264HR with 1.7RR. AODE built to 98+ 4R70W specs and PI 3500 stall. 4.10 gears. Bama tune. I got the heads for free and I still have buyers remorse.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
PONY Member

HMM i think i need an alignment i cant get better then around 19 mpg city 25 highway haven't even got alignment after lowering

Borla catback s-type Borla Long tube off road x pipe
Jlt carbon fiber intake
BBK TB 3.73 gears
pro kit Eibach adj sway bars
J&M panhard bar J&M extreme lower control arm
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555
DSS Aluminum 3.5
Shelby Baer 6P Brakes

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
Sean Reilly

NICE!!........Nothing better than a set of gears to make one think they just got 50 HP on the Butt Dyno I remember going up to 3.73's from the original 2.73's in one of my FOX body LX's, and I swear that I could feel my left front tire lift off whenever I nailed it!!
By far, the best mod. as how can you go wrong with positive torque multiplication As long as you don't have to drive more often then not on a Highway.......

Sean
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
J Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
As long as you don't have to drive more often then not on a Highway.......
Sean
My 400 mile a week commute and the driveshaft are what's keeping me from gearing up. You guys make it sound so fun that it has peaked my interest.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
Banned

My weekly commute was 550mi for over a year before my recent move, mileage stayed the same. Best mod ever.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
My 400 mile a week commute and the driveshaft are what's keeping me from gearing up. You guys make it sound so fun that it has peaked my interest.
Dang, were about in the same boat i'm at 300 a week. A driveshaft isn't required for the gear swap, but is a "piece of mind" type of upgrade. There may some places around you that can make a custom 1 piece DS for less than marketed ones. I'll be using the stock drive shaft with 3.55s around the new year. Z28 and his son were using the stock driveshaft for a bunch of 1/4 mile pulls (Fooln has a several racing vids where he was well over 100 also). I don't plan on going over 100 too many times anyways, but will be hauling ace getting up to that speed
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
J Orbit

The high speed thing is a legit concern for me because you can hit 125-130 on the back straits of one of the tracks I run at. Ideally I'd get the carbon fiber one but that's a decent chunk of change. Hopefully now that these cars are everywhere mod prices will drop as competition rises.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Sound good OP ! I am still debating whether or not to make the change from 3:31's to 3:73's. As I already have one modified car, I am still not sure if I want to alter my gas mileage on the DD. But it is tempting. 80% of my driving is city oriented, so might not hurt much. Damn, this mod bug is addictive. Maybe I should just bolt a Procharger on the V6 and be done with it.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

OP, what made you decide on 3.73? I'm still trying to decide which I want to go with once I'm ready to get new gears. Mine is a DD so I have to keep midwest winters in mind.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

3.73 gears; the single best mod for these cars (besides forced induction)!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorian View Post
OP, what made you decide on 3.73? I'm still trying to decide which I want to go with once I'm ready to get new gears. Mine is a DD so I have to keep midwest winters in mind.

in winter the 3.73's are great. the car is so light though I put in 3 70lb. sandbags in the trunk. even with the 2.73's it needed the sand bags.
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Sound good OP ! I am still debating whether or not to make the change from 3:31's to 3:73's. As I already have one modified car, I am still not sure if I want to alter my gas mileage on the DD. But it is tempting. 80% of my driving is city oriented, so might not hurt much. Damn, this mod bug is addictive. Maybe I should just bolt a Procharger on the V6 and be done with it.
My city mileage went up ~1.5mpg with the 3.73s. Just do it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorian View Post
Mine is my DD as well. 3.73s are not an issue in winter (even in canada). I just throw some weight in the trunk (did this with 2.73s too) and you're good. Worst case scenario, just start in 2nd.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs View Post
My weekly commute was 550mi for over a year before my recent move, mileage stayed the same. Best mod ever.
What speed are you folks traveling at and at what RPM on the highway
?
at 72-75 MPH, I am not getting better than ~27.3 on the on-screen. the on screen is always about .8 to 1 MPH lower than actual pump math.

on 2.73s I could get 30-31mpg easy
Now on the 3.55s I am at 2256rpm at 75mph.
At 55mph 36mpg on the on-screen gauge is easy.
J Orbit

I wish we could get the best of both worlds and have 3.73 rear and have 6th gear be a super overdrive so you could retain some of the HWY mileage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page