- strut tower brace
- mgw shifter
- dynamated the doors, floor, rear seat, and trunk
- rally stripes shifter knob
- racing stripes
- rocker stipes
- pony fender emblems

Things I want to avoid:
- one-piece driveshaft (Mine is one-piece already, the only difference is that my stock DS's slip yoke is in the middle, while the aftermarket one is at one end. Mine does not have a center bearing or the thin weak part. Heard too many story of the aftermarket DS NVH. )
- exhaust (I like the stock exhaust note. Too loud is not good to me. )
- gears (I mainly drive my Mustang to work. If I want higher gear ratio, I just stay in lower gear longer. Heard too many stories of NVH due to inproper installation.
- cold air intake ( I bought one and installed it myself. The noise from the intake is nasty. So I end up tearing it off)
- louvers (I think I need the quarter window to reduce the blind zone.)

Things that I need your suggestions?
- tuner (is it worth the extra money for 93 gas? will it void my warranty? should I do this after new car break-in?)
- front and rear sway bar (are they really worth it?)
- other mods that you would suggest?

Thanks.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013
PONY Member

2014 F-150 STX Sport SCab - Stock

1967 Coupe 306 roller block, E303 cam X302 heads, Crane 1.7RR, T5, 8.8 rear 3.73, CSRP Power discs
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
Things I have done:
- passenger side oil separator
- strut tower brace
- mgw shifter
- racing stripes
- rocker stipes
- pony fender emblems

Things I want to avoid:
- one-piece driveshaft (Mine is one-piece already, the only difference is that my stock DS's slip yoke is in the middle, while the aftermarket one is at one end. Mine does not have a center bearing or the thin weak part. Heard too many story of the aftermarket DS NVH. )
- gears (I mainly drive my Mustang to work. If I want higher gear ratio, I just stay in lower gear longer. Heard too many stories of NVH due to inproper installation.
- cold air intake ( I bought one and installed it myself. The noise from the intake is nasty. So I end up tearing it off)

- tuner (is it worth the extra money for 93 gas? will it void my warranty? should I do this after new car break-in?)

Thanks.
Go ahead and stick to appearance mods. I can already tell you're way too cautious and would kick yourself if anything turned out the way you didn't like it. The more engine mods you add, the rawer the car will feel.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013
Apprentice

Yeah, appearance mods seem to be what you like the most, I would say some nice set of wheels!

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

You need to change your screen name because you definitely don't 'Liv4spd'!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013
PONY Member

Sounds like your masterpiece is already complete.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
Things I have done:
- passenger side oil separator
- strut tower brace
- mgw shifter
- racing stripes
- rocker stipes
- pony fender emblems

Things I want to avoid:

Thanks.
To answer a few questions... The tune... If your only buying it for 93 octane the. It's a waste. It is there to increase performance, not gas mileage. And Yes, it will void your warranty.

Like the other guys said, you seem super cautious and easily annoyed by little things like CAI noise. So sway bars and any other suspension mod is out...

So, appearance mods are pretty much what you have left since everything else bothers you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013
Apprentice

Some thoughts

If you're really trying to avoid ANY increase in NVH you may be pretty maxed out afa "go fast" mods go. If youre willing to take a little more feel of whats happening with the car, there are lots of small things like weighted shift knobs, short shifters, shift bushings, wider wheels & tires (ok those aren't a small thing) that you can go for.

You could consider LCA in the rear, they'll give you better launches when you feel like being spirited at a green or when you really get on it, and as long as you get street bushings you probably wont notice a difference in nvh (I didnt) - and those are a pretty easy install to boot.

Front brake GT conversions are quite good - the stock rotors on the v6 are a little small for the weight of the car, and they fade pretty quick. These of course cause no change in NVH, and look better too. They do require the use of a 18" wheel tho.

A throttle body will help produce some better throttle response and low end, making it more "street" fun. Again, easy install. Dont bother with spacers, they're almost certainly a gimmick (there's a reason they don't post dyno sheets with them)

I've replaced both sway-bars, and if you like corner carving, or having the back end wag, they're a great mod, and they wont affect nvh at all (just use plenty of grease so no squeaks). Id suggest replacing both if you do one, so you can make it match the way YOU drive.
A rear strut brace i've read will also tighten up the back end, and apparently will even help REDUCE some NVH from the back end (makes sense, more stability less motion) but I have no first hand knowledge.

A tune may affect warranty, but they take about 10 mins to return to stock, and realistically hundreds of ppl are running tunes from reputable shops (think BAMA & the like) without problems from the tune. Going all the way to the 93 octane is great, but even the 91 has brought me many smiles compared to stock. You can also probably see slightly improved mileage with a higher octane, assuming driving habits don't change, so to some degree it balances out.

You do seem to have done some appearance mods, but on that note remember that anything that adds a new ridge to the body (front lips, wings, flares, whatever, even emblems) will increase wind noise to one degree or another.

To reduce some extra NVH for ya, i'd recommend pulling the wheels and liners, and after a good thorough cleaning in there giving the back end a thorough coating of undercoating (obviously not the exhaust itself) Yes, it'll add a bit of weight, but I noticed an improvement when I did that and was happy for the trade off (you'll never notice the weight of a couple cans of that anywhere but a track, and even then were talking time attack levels to notice) or get it professionally undercoated. Usually not terribly expensive.

You may want to consider shorty headers. The installation is a wee bit more involved, but they dont really make the car "louder" with the stock cats in, just a bit more musical note from the back end. Again, nice bump in the usual driving rpm band.

Thats kind of all I can think of that wont produce a real change in NVH. Once you start moving towards a more performance mindset, then NVH is part of the deal, sadly. If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them - I dont really know how mechanically inclined you are or what kind of results you dream of, or what kinda budget you want to have, so its hard to make recommendations.

In any event, keep modding your car the way you want, and don't let someone else's idea of what a car should be interfere, unless they're paying for it

No longer own:
'12 V6 Perf, from Sept '11.
Mods: TWM 520g Piston shift knob & Barton shift bracket, AM short shifter. SR 1.5"drop & AM street phb. Tokico D-spec, Whiteline bars F&R, J&M Lca, 25mm wheel spacers, 18x10x4 Bullit style on Sumimoto rubber. Magnaflow Street's. 25' of b-quiet ultimate, 10" JL [email protected] 350w, JL TR's upfront. Bama Tune, B&M 73mm & Shorty headers.
Someday..... Twin Turbo, or SC goal is 450 whp. Has to wait until warranty is up
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I guess it totally depends on what you want from your car. For me, it really kinda sucked driving until I put on new sway bars front and back. She cornered so much better. Once I added a strut tower brace it just goes around curves and corners just flat now. MUCH more fun to drive. But that's just me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you so much for the great suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven SVT View Post
If you're really trying to avoid ANY increase in NVH you may be pretty maxed out afa "go fast" mods go. If youre willing to take a little more feel of whats happening with the car, there are lots of small things like weighted shift knobs, short shifters, shift bushings, wider wheels & tires (ok those aren't a small thing) that you can go for.

You could consider LCA in the rear, they'll give you better launches when you feel like being spirited at a green or when you really get on it, and as long as you get street bushings you probably wont notice a difference in nvh (I didnt) - and those are a pretty easy install to boot.

Front brake GT conversions are quite good - the stock rotors on the v6 are a little small for the weight of the car, and they fade pretty quick. These of course cause no change in NVH, and look better too. They do require the use of a 18" wheel tho.

A throttle body will help produce some better throttle response and low end, making it more "street" fun. Again, easy install. Dont bother with spacers, they're almost certainly a gimmick (there's a reason they don't post dyno sheets with them)

I've replaced both sway-bars, and if you like corner carving, or having the back end wag, they're a great mod, and they wont affect nvh at all (just use plenty of grease so no squeaks). Id suggest replacing both if you do one, so you can make it match the way YOU drive.
A rear strut brace i've read will also tighten up the back end, and apparently will even help REDUCE some NVH from the back end (makes sense, more stability less motion) but I have no first hand knowledge.

A tune may affect warranty, but they take about 10 mins to return to stock, and realistically hundreds of ppl are running tunes from reputable shops (think BAMA & the like) without problems from the tune. Going all the way to the 93 octane is great, but even the 91 has brought me many smiles compared to stock. You can also probably see slightly improved mileage with a higher octane, assuming driving habits don't change, so to some degree it balances out.

You do seem to have done some appearance mods, but on that note remember that anything that adds a new ridge to the body (front lips, wings, flares, whatever, even emblems) will increase wind noise to one degree or another.

To reduce some extra NVH for ya, i'd recommend pulling the wheels and liners, and after a good thorough cleaning in there giving the back end a thorough coating of undercoating (obviously not the exhaust itself) Yes, it'll add a bit of weight, but I noticed an improvement when I did that and was happy for the trade off (you'll never notice the weight of a couple cans of that anywhere but a track, and even then were talking time attack levels to notice) or get it professionally undercoated. Usually not terribly expensive.

You may want to consider shorty headers. The installation is a wee bit more involved, but they dont really make the car "louder" with the stock cats in, just a bit more musical note from the back end. Again, nice bump in the usual driving rpm band.

Thats kind of all I can think of that wont produce a real change in NVH. Once you start moving towards a more performance mindset, then NVH is part of the deal, sadly. If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them - I dont really know how mechanically inclined you are or what kind of results you dream of, or what kinda budget you want to have, so its hard to make recommendations.

In any event, keep modding your car the way you want, and don't let someone else's idea of what a car should be interfere, unless they're paying for it

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

How bout a pair of fuzzy dice? Not much NVH there...

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
Apprentice

Nitrous there is no added nvh,well unless you spray to early.Also, Doesn't void your head units warranty

Current mustang
2013 3.7 MT-82:pony package,pype bomb's axleback and that's all for now
Past mustang
2007 4.0 T-5 :Pony package,pypes axleback, afe cold air intake, bama tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page