2013 V6 rear end rattle - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

my rear end noise was sway bar links. dealer claims they are loose

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Brought it into the dealer on monday. They could not hear the rear rattle but are going to keep working on it while the parts come in for the other repairs. They ordered a new gasket for the leaking differential and new LCA's for the front suspension. The front suspension starting creaking a couple of days before I brought in the car. I am happy progress is being made.

Banned

I'd want to personally inspect how much fluid comes out of that rear, ~2.25qts to fill btw, and also inspect the ring gear while someone rotated it looking for bluing, chip, anything out of the ordinary. You could see normal looking ring gear teeth if you google.

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I had a pretty bad rattle coming from the rear of my cabin. Turns out it was the rear seatbelts knocking against the plastic side panels of the back seat. Drove me crazy for weeks until I secured them

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dealer called me yesterday, said they replaced the 2 front LCA's, replaced the pinion seal which was the cause of the leaking differential. They also lubricated the clutch (minor squeak). They could not duplicate the rear rattle . I took one of their guys for a spin and on a slightly bumpy road at slower speeds he did hear the rattle but could not pinpoint it. He thinks (as do I now) that it is coming from in the rear of the cabin possibly the metal shelf the speakers are mounted in. They are going to try to pinpoint on Monday. I am pleased with the progress and the attention my dealership (Jim Hudson Ford) has given to the issue. I will update next week.
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
I had a pretty bad rattle coming from the rear of my cabin. Turns out it was the rear seatbelts knocking against the plastic side panels of the back seat. Drove me crazy for weeks until I secured them
I just belt Casper in both rear seats.

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
Apprentice

My rear end clunk is complete gone now. I replaced a rear sway bar and end links with hellwig unit, replaced all of nuts and bolts on lcas and shocks. Also replaced an adjustable panhard bar back to stock. It has been almost 2weeks since and stil no clunk.

2012 mustang v6 performance package, power mods: airraid intake, borla s-type exhaust, appearance mods: saleen front grille, hood spears, roush side spliters, 2013 tail lights, retro fitted head lights with led and hid, shorty antena, black deck lid, gt500 steering wheel, oem take off leather seats, retro black shift knob, suspension mods: koni shocks/struts, sr springs, gt500 top mounts, panhard bar, lca.
1994 mustang gt 5.0
Apprentice

I have a 2012 V6, 30,000 miles, bought used a year ago. Thought there was something loose in trunk, but now, after taking into dealer, it was the sway bar bushings/ end links. Fixed under warranty. Another thing I asked was why the drive shaft linkage makes a thunking noise, just as I come to a stop and transmission downshifts to first (auto trans). They said they didn't notice anything abnormal. Anyone have an opinion on that?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlud00 View Post
I have a 2012 V6, 30,000 miles, bought used a year ago. Thought there was something loose in trunk, but now, after taking into dealer, it was the sway bar bushings/ end links. Fixed under warranty. Another thing I asked was why the drive shaft linkage makes a thunking noise, just as I come to a stop and transmission downshifts to first (auto trans). They said they didn't notice anything abnormal. Anyone have an opinion on that?
That's normal. I think it's something to do with them programming the transmission for fuel economy.
Apprentice

I took my 11 V6 in to the dealer for rear end clunk and they told me my muffler hanger needed "lube". ? I asked them to check sway bar ends and they said that was fine. I went on a drive with the tech and could not hear the clunk. It came back about 2 days later. Now I just live with it. Oh..and they charged me a $50 diagnostic fee because the exhaust is not covered under the drivetrain warranty nor under the Ford Premium Care ESP.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
Rookie

I have a pretty good idea what it is

This is a very timely thread. I have a 2011 GT, Roush Supercharged, Borla exhaust, and various other mods. My car has developed a very similar issue and has been at my local dealer multiple times. We thought it might be the diff, axles, etc. I have been documenting everything just in case things need to be escalated. I will spare you all the gory details, but I went down and drove the car today after they removed the panhard bar. The noise was GONE. I think there are 2, but this is the one that has 2 bolts on the left side directly near the left exhaust. Evidently things can loosen up over time, especially when mods and more power are added to the car. Tomorrow, they are going to reinstall the bar, torque everything properly, and we'll do another test. The good news is that it's not anything major. Hope this helps.

Frank
Rookie

clarification on my prior post

All,

The part I referenced in my prior post was not the panhard bar, but the upper panhard bar support. If you go to americanmuscle.com and look for part # 49607, you will see exactly what I am talking about. Sorry for any confusion.

Frank
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Making progress. The dealer pinpointed the rear noise to the metal shelf the speakers are mounted in. The shelf is rubbing against the c pillar wall. One of the welds holding it in place is broken. The dealer is going to re-weld it on Monday. Hope this takes care of it.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanqso View Post
Making progress. The dealer pinpointed the rear noise to the metal shelf the speakers are mounted in. The shelf is rubbing against the c pillar wall. One of the welds holding it in place is broken. The dealer is going to re-weld it on Monday. Hope this takes care of it.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing that. I have a rattle but I'm not sure if it's from the exhaust (muffler hanger had to be heated and bent) because I'm thinking it wasn't there until I had the exhaust adjusted.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99 View Post
when backing up down my driveway and applying the brakes mine makes a weird sound, but not when going foward
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKie View Post
my rear end noise was sway bar links. dealer claims they are loose
Hey Guys,

If you’re experiencing this noise, be sure to bring your vehicles in to your dealer and have them checked out. Please let me know the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanqso View Post
Thank you for the update, mmanqso.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page