2013 V6 rear end rattle - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 V6 rear end rattle

My 2013 V6 has a loud rattle that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the cabin. I have been trying to find it for about 2 weeks with no success. It sounds like the rear windshield is loose but that is not it. I have checked the trunk, rear seat backs, pillars, speakers and shelf, cant find it. Driving me crazy. I tried to make an appointment with my dealer last week. They said they would call me when a loaner car was available, haven't heard back from them in a week. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013
PONY Member

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, it could be the cause. Sometimes the hangers make metal to metal contact if misaligned.

2012 Mustang V6 auto.

- BAMA 93- S or R
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

The exhaust is stock, but thanks for the tip.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013
Rookie

Just throwing this out there... Maybe the wheels aren't balanced?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 V6 - Blue - Base Package - MANUAL!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, I did not think of that. I will check it out.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013
PONY Member

My back end sounded like it had marbles somewhere, mainly over bumps. All of it went away with sway bar end links and adjustable panhard.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you can`t find it, just let the dealer handle it. I would call them again. If they brush you off, I would call another dealer & notify Deysha here.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013
Apprentice

I have the same or similar issue and have been dealing with it for quite sometime with no success. I have been throwing parts at it left and right, I'm down to one last thing before I take it to the dealer and let them deal with it for me. I just bought a hellwig sway bar and end links, I will let you know if it helps.

2012 mustang v6 performance package, power mods: airraid intake, borla s-type exhaust, appearance mods: saleen front grille, hood spears, roush side spliters, 2013 tail lights, retro fitted head lights with led and hid, shorty antena, black deck lid, gt500 steering wheel, oem take off leather seats, retro black shift knob, suspension mods: koni shocks/struts, sr springs, gt500 top mounts, panhard bar, lca.
1994 mustang gt 5.0
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Went to the tire shop today and had the tires rotated and balanced. The tire guy showed me my differential and exhaust pipes covered in burnt fluid. Said the differential was leaking. I called my dealer and they said they still did not have a loaner for me. They would call me when one is available. I hope they call soon and the leaking differential is the cause of the mystery noise.
Apprentice

Oh, man, that just doesn't sound good at all. I would get that car to the dealer with or without a loaner. There is only so much fluid in the differential and burnt fluid is never a good sign. It really has to be heated to a high degree to burn!

2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB | Airaid CAI | SR Performance STB | JLT Oil Separator
MPT Tuned | SCT X4 | MMD Classic Louvers | Roush Upper & Lower Grilles
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Oh, man, that just doesn't sound good at all. I would get that car to the dealer with or without a loaner. There is only so much fluid in the differential and burnt fluid is never a good sign. It really has to be heated to a high degree to burn!
Holy shnikeys! + 1 on that! Just drop it off an take the bus. It'll be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 V6 - Blue - Base Package - MANUAL!
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanqso View Post
My 2013 V6 has a loud rattle that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the cabin. I have been trying to find it for about 2 weeks with no success. It sounds like the rear windshield is loose but that is not it. I have checked the trunk, rear seat backs, pillars, speakers and shelf, cant find it. Driving me crazy. I tried to make an appointment with my dealer last week. They said they would call me when a loaner car was available, haven't heard back from them in a week. Any thoughts?
Hey mmanqso,

Please make another appointment with your dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name and best daytime number and Ill get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
If you can`t find it, just let the dealer handle it. I would call them again. If they brush you off, I would call another dealer & notify Deysha here.
Thanks, kenv!

Deysha
Apprentice

My rear end was noisy as all hell... then I stopped eating so many beans.

Really though, noisy rear, new endlinks from Ford. Problem gone.
Undoubtedly they'll need replacing sooner or later, but for now I'll take free under warranty.

2013 Mustang V6 Premium Pony Package, Sterling Gray
FRPP Sport Axle Backs - Stack Racing Front Strut Brace - Airaid CAI - JLT Oil Separator
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
My '12 PP has that annoying rear axle rattle - been like that for a year now

So I just need to change the Sway Bar end links?

TIA

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Rookie

when backing up down my driveway and applying the brakes mine makes a weird sound, but not when going foward

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page