Questions for Lowering - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Questions for Lowering

Hi Guys,

Finally want to get around to doing a mod before this summer is finished. I was thinking of doing more exhaust work, but I think I really want to do some Suspension work instead. I've been searching threads like mad and I think I've finally decided on what to purchase. I'm going to do this purchase in a few stages, as I'm really on a budget with other bills to pay lol.

Products to buy:
1. Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
2. Eibach Sportline Springs
3. Ford GT500 Strut Mounts

My Research:
I haven't read anything bad about these products being used on our cars. I'm think it should be a solid upgrade over stock. So any suggestions for me on this purchase, good or bad? I really wanted to do this install myself to save some money, but I'm really nervous about screwing up.

My Goals:
I am not tracking this car. It's my daily driver. I want the lowered stance for looks when cruising, but I want it to have a performance benefit as well. I'm one of those guys who just street drives and wants to push the car from time to time for fun. I don't mind extra NVH.

My Concerns: lol
I know some of the hidden costs that will creep up on me might be the Camber bolts, but was worried if the Sportline springs will require Caster/Camber plates...this would suck for costs for my budget. Also, a Panhard bar will probably be needed. Is it an immediate requirement? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

If everything is positive and funds work out. I should be able to order this Thursdays payday. Think I might buy the Eibach Springs first. Since there is a 10% rebate this month too. Then in a couple weeks get the Mounts and Koni STR.Ts.

Pretty stoked for a mod finally! Thanks guys. I know this is pretty repetitive of a thread, but just looking for re-assurance and just excited.

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013
Apprentice

my opinion with any drop 1.5 and more you'd need the caster camber plates. If it was 1-1.25 I'd say the bolts will do fine as long as you don't do auto cross and stuff. Also panhard bar Is really good to get like you mentioned because your rear will be off which will affect all that money you just put into It.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07greyblue View Post
my opinion with any drop 1.5 and more you'd need the caster camber plates. If it was 1-1.25 I'd say the bolts will do fine as long as you don't do auto cross and stuff. Also panhard bar Is really good to get like you mentioned because your rear will be off which will affect all that money you just put into It.
Good call there. Maybe I should look at the SR Springs instead with the 1.5'' drop. I noticed from reading that there are quite a few people drag racing without springs. Is it really not that beneficial for straight line performance?

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well my sr springs were totally fine without caster camber plates or camber bolts. I just dropped them right in and 10k miles theyre still good.

The tire shop was able to get my car back within stock alignment spec easily.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013
tj
PONY Member

You can use just the springs, the panhard bar is advised the recenter the rear under the car, it gets offset to the side when lowering with the factory bar. Any panhard bar equipped car is going to shift when lowering the car, in a way a panhard bar is a pendulum…

Lowering with just the springs will cause excessive camber and uneven tire wear up front, that is why we use our strut mounts, in addition to being stronger they have room for camber adjustment, the stock ones do not.

Camber bolts are a cheap way of trying to get around using strut mounts, they have less room for adjustment (about degree vs 1-1.5 degrees with mounts) and are an eccentric bolt.

The dampers (shocks and struts) control how the springs oscillate, the factory ones are matched to the factory springs. Our springs will work well with the factory ones, but upgrading is definitely worth it in terms of ride quality and performance both.

Springs, dampers, and mounts all have the same labor so doing them at the same time also saves on labor cost/time and alignments.

If you would like to talk off - line ... you can send me an email at tim @steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Wow that is some good advice. I can tell that this might add up with costs I didnt really expect. I thought my car's stereo would be cheap and simple but I ended up going all out to do it right the first time too. But you gotta pay to do it right I guess.

Hmm maybe I might just do some LCAs and gears this summer lol instead.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013
Apprentice

Just throw some bigger tires in there to fill that gap I'm always thinking about lowering too but then I know as soon as I do that I'm gonna mess it up on something.. so much construction going on around here at the moment I think I'll hold off. Got my lowered A4 to kinda gauge weather or not I'll do it, changed the shocks in that last weekend.. what a ***** that was. I hear the mustang is extremely easy to do though so I guess that's one incentive. I'd say gears first, lowering second, probably work out to be the same price.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sportlines are trash. They look good but that's about it, not enough spring rate for the drop they give. By the time they compress enough to be useful, youll be on the bumpstops.

==2012 Kona Blue Mustang V6==
==1995 Neon Coupe==
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hey Mtu,
I see you live in the Vancouver area. I lowered my car back in April. I have the FRPP Springs and the drop was 1.5" front and back. If you want to check out my car in person, let me know and I could meet you somewhere.

Performance White 2011 V6 Mustang, Premium/Pony Pkg, Auto,
Mods: Side and Rear Louvers, Magnaflow Competition Catback, Boss 302 Strut Bar, AE Aluminum DS, Airaid CAI, Dyno Tuned with Diablosport Trinity 87R Custom Tune, 280 RWHP and 273 RWTQ, BOSS 302S 19x9 Wheels with 255/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza's, RTR Spoiler, FRPP Lowering Springs (1.5" drop), GT500 Strut Mounts, FRPP Adjustable PanHard Bar, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP 3:73's, Steeda Rear Chassis X Brace, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-pipe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ok payday has finally arrived. I'm going to order the SR Performance Springs from American Muscle tomorrow. They should give a decent drop for looks, and hopefully give a better handling feel for performance. It's also perfect that they are on sale right now!

I am going to order the GT500 Mounts and Koni STR.Ts next purchase.

But should I get a Jounce Bumper Kit for install? Or not necessary?

Ford Racing Mustang Jounce Bumper Kit (05-14 All) M-5570-A

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Well my sr springs were totally fine without caster camber plates or camber bolts. I just dropped them right in and 10k miles theyre still good.

The tire shop was able to get my car back within stock alignment spec easily.

This is good news! I know probably every car is different, but hopefully I get the same luck as you. You didn't do a Panhard Bar either? I was thinking of getting the camber bolts just in case, but the drop is fairly mild.

I read some of your other posts earlier today. Hopefully you tear up the track tonight!

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtu245 View Post
This is good news! I know probably every car is different, but hopefully I get the same luck as you. You didn't do a Panhard Bar either? I was thinking of getting the camber bolts just in case, but the drop is fairly mild.

I read some of your other posts earlier today. Hopefully you tear up the track tonight!
I didn't put a panhard bar either. Just the sprigs. I didn't even get new strut mounts.

I'm waiting in line now! It's 110 degrees here so not ideal at all but well see what I run.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
GT Member
S197 Member

Jounce bumper kit is not necessary. Just cut your stock bumpstops in half.

Get an adjustable PHB asap. Your axle will be off-center, favoring the driver's side, once you lower. Have fun steering left everytime you mash the gas!

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My axle was within stock spec...

Dreamcountry

Hi Mtu,

I had ordered the SR springs previously (also have a 2011 V6). Went to get them installed and realized I needed new strut mounts as well. Apparently the SR springs won't fit in 2011 and newer mustangs without the mounts. Ended up returning them and getting Eibach Pro springs, which fit perfectly (with camber bolts). Hope you don't find yourself in the same dilemma (or maybe you ordered the mounts as well).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page