Switching form Bama tunes to ??? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member
 
z28th1s's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Lynchburg
Posts: 1,831
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
TJ,

I spoke with Don from Bama and he filled me in or your conversation. He also mentioned there were some tune adjustments he found that should help. However, if this latest tune doesn't do the trick I will get our lead Bama Calibrator involved.

We'll continue to work with you until the tune is dialed in perfectly. I am confident we'll be able to get your tune operating right where you want it!

Keep me updated with your latest tune, so I know where we stand. Also, please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with!

Shane
Shane,

I ran Bama tunes in my naturally aspirated '11 3.7 Mustangs for almost two years and was able to run a 12.91 @ 106.3 MPH with your 93H tune. The service that was provided to me over the two years was very good.

I have since got Lund Racing to tune my car and have gotten my times down to a 12.63 @ 108.9 MPH, with their tune and a few more mods.

My question to you is why are people getting numerous tune revisions to their Bama tunes (including datalogs) and then they switch to a different tuner (MPT) like mentioned above and their initial tune performs so much better than the 'revised' Bama tunes?

I'm not trying to be critical, it is just an observation and I know many other people are wondering the same thing. I know that there has been some tuners that worked for Bama in the past; like Mike Wilson for example, that no longer work there.

Curious to hear your take on this!

z28th1s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: LA
Posts: 2,153
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you would have bought the tuner from Steeda ... we would have given you the tunes too.

I will let the others weight and provide their feedback ... in the meantime ... do a search for Steeda tunes and you will be very pleased with the results. 0 issues from a warranty perspective ... great customer support ... etc.

Best Regards,

TJ
My steeda tune puts out better numbers than any other tune for the 3.7 with my mods that I've seen. I'm gonna be going to the 1/8th mile tonight to see what I can get with the shorty headers and updated tune. Leaving soon

I can't say enough good things about Steeda. Gus is a very good tuner, who listens to all my ranting and does as many changes as he can to my car to make it drive exactly how I want. He's been nothing but professional to work with. I really recommend Steeda. Their tunes are powerful and refined. Powerful because with less mods I trap more than many other cars in the 1/8th. Refined because I get better mpg and have never once ever had any problem with any tune I have gotten from them. No check engine light or any sort of mechanical problems.


1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
powerwhee is offline  
PONY Member
 
<3_3.7's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: The Streets
Posts: 519
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28th1s View Post
Shane,

I ran Bama tunes in my naturally aspirated '11 3.7 Mustangs for almost two years and was able to run a 12.91 @ 106.3 MPH with your 93H tune. The service that was provided to me over the two years was very good.

I have since got Lund Racing to tune my car and have gotten my times down to a 12.63 @ 108.9 MPH, with their tune and a few more mods.

My question to you is why are people getting numerous tune revisions to their Bama tunes (including datalogs) and then they switch to a different tuner (MPT) like mentioned above and their initial tune performs so much better than the 'revised' Bama tunes?

I'm not trying to be critical, it is just an observation and I know many other people are wondering the same thing. I know that there has been some tuners that worked for Bama in the past; like Mike Wilson for example, that no longer work there.

Curious to hear your take on this!
You beat me to the punch. It sure would save Bama a lot of money and make customers happy if the tunes were closer to where they should be at the first or second try. I got good support for three years too, but datalogging takes time and money. Why does a user have to get to the point they feel like they have to call Bama out in a forum?
<3_3.7 is offline  
 
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
6Bolt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 354
 
Garage
Not to be cynical or anything but I would have to ask how many of our 3.7's have over 100k on these "hot" tunes from MPT or Steeda that they are using at the strip? Maybe I am wrong and there are lots of 3.7s out there with tons of miles on these same "hot" MPT or Steeda tunes.

But I am pretty sure that almost all of the tunes BAMA has sent out no doubt are on the "safe" side for DD considerations. I know that I (like many) run the BAMA 93R tune in my DD but I am not going to dream it's going to be the "best" when running down a strip that's just wishing to have your cake and eat it too IMHO.

If you are getting tunes just for your 1/8th or 1/4 then sure I am betting there are lots of tweaks that "can" be done the question is how is it going to be if you leave it in there long term?

For instance running mildly lean short term would be more performance, long term... well don't expect to have much of a long term. IE you are not going to be able to use it as a DD.

Hell you know even just going lighter weight on your engine oil will increase times too right? but who's going to go there, and then expect it to function as normal for their DD?

Just tossing it out there

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
6Bolt is offline  
PONY Member
 
HowellDoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Howell
Posts: 708
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012v6Pony View Post
Not to be cynical or anything but I would have to ask how many of our 3.7's have over 100k on these "hot" tunes from MPT or Steeda that they are using at the strip? Maybe I am wrong and there are lots of 3.7s out there with tons of miles on these same "hot" MPT or Steeda tunes.

But I am pretty sure that almost all of the tunes BAMA has sent out no doubt are on the "safe" side for DD considerations. I know that I (like many) run the BAMA 93R tune in my DD but I am not going to dream it's going to be the "best" when running down a strip that's just wishing to have your cake and eat it too IMHO.

If you are getting tunes just for your 1/8th or 1/4 then sure I am betting there are lots of tweaks that "can" be done the question is how is it going to be if you leave it in there long term?

For instance running mildly lean short term would be more performance, long term... well don't expect to have much of a long term. IE you are not going to be able to use it as a DD.

Hell you know even just going lighter weight on your engine oil will increase times too right? but who's going to go there, and then expect it to function as normal for their DD?

Just tossing it out there
Thank you for this viewpoint, because it's been my thought all along.

I went with Bama for tunes, and though I feel there may be a bit they are leaving on the table, my car is my DD; it's not some dedicated track car and I'm not willing to run a tune that could be detrimental to my car down the road.

The other thing I've observed, is people are saying "I was running XXX with a Bama tune, but after 40 runs I switched to XXX and my times are better." You don't think 40 runs down the same track have helped hone your driving skills a bit? How much of the increase in performance is from the tune? How much is from the skill they've picked up?

Just food for thought and my 2 cents.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
HowellDoug is offline  
PONY Member
 
<3_3.7's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: The Streets
Posts: 519
 
You mean they learned how to drive the same track better in the same evening and took 2-3 tenths off?

IMO, there are three leaders who tune Mustangs: Steeda, Lund and Bama. A lot of people are very happy with Steeda and Lund, so I doubt there are safety issues with them. However, if you're running tunes and not maintaining your car, well yeah, you need to take care of it since you're pushing more of the limits (not really since it's not FI). Even the Bama tunes are more aggressive than stock, so if you're hinting you don't need to take as good care of a Bama. Tuned car compared to another tuner car, then I'd disagree with you.
<3_3.7 is offline  
PONY Member
 
<3_3.7's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: The Streets
Posts: 519
 
I think what's going on with Bama is that they lost a good bit of their in house deep knowledge. mike Wilson left. Not sure who else is there, but the competition all have well known tuners in their employ, so that might be the difference we're now seeing.
<3_3.7 is offline  
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member
 
z28th1s's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Lynchburg
Posts: 1,831
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_3.7 View Post
You beat me to the punch. It sure would save Bama a lot of money and make customers happy if the tunes were closer to where they should be at the first or second try. I got good support for three years too, but datalogging takes time and money. Why does a user have to get to the point they feel like they have to call Bama out in a forum?
I think there are plenty of current and potential Bama customers that are wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012v6Pony View Post
Not to be cynical or anything but I would have to ask how many of our 3.7's have over 100k on these "hot" tunes from MPT or Steeda that they are using at the strip? Maybe I am wrong and there are lots of 3.7s out there with tons of miles on these same "hot" MPT or Steeda tunes.

But I am pretty sure that almost all of the tunes BAMA has sent out no doubt are on the "safe" side for DD considerations. I know that I (like many) run the BAMA 93R tune in my DD but I am not going to dream it's going to be the "best" when running down a strip that's just wishing to have your cake and eat it too IMHO.

If you are getting tunes just for your 1/8th or 1/4 then sure I am betting there are lots of tweaks that "can" be done the question is how is it going to be if you leave it in there long term?

For instance running mildly lean short term would be more performance, long term... well don't expect to have much of a long term. IE you are not going to be able to use it as a DD.

Hell you know even just going lighter weight on your engine oil will increase times too right? but who's going to go there, and then expect it to function as normal for their DD?

Just tossing it out there
I too have been a little 'skeptical' of the MPT tunes. I wondered if they were super aggressive right from the start. I do know someone that has gotten one of their tunes and noticed an increase in power over a multiple revision Bama tune and says his datalogs with the MPT look good.

As for my Lund Racing tune, I use the same tune (93 octane) on my car at the drag strip that I use on it everyday. My car still gets 28-30 MPG on the highway with 3.73 gears and gets 21-22 MPG in my daily commute. I have dataloged my Lund tune several times and the tune is definitely safe for daily use!

There are things that can be changed in the tune that doesn't increase the power of the car but helps you be able to put that power to its best use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellDoug View Post
Thank you for this viewpoint, because it's been my thought all along.

I went with Bama for tunes, and though I feel there may be a bit they are leaving on the table, my car is my DD; it's not some dedicated track car and I'm not willing to run a tune that could be detrimental to my car down the road.

The other thing I've observed, is people are saying "I was running XXX with a Bama tune, but after 40 runs I switched to XXX and my times are better." You don't think 40 runs down the same track have helped hone your driving skills a bit? How much of the increase in performance is from the tune? How much is from the skill they've picked up?

Just food for thought and my 2 cents.
I have been drag racing stick shift cars for over 30 years now and I'm not driving my car any better with the Lund Racing tune than I did with the Bama tune.

Many of the cars that are running better times with other tunes have automatic cars. The guys with those cars have already figured out how to launch their cars and then the trans just does its thing. When you leave at the same RPM in the auto car and let the trans shift itself, the difference in the track time is coming from the difference in the tunes not the driver!
z28th1s is offline  
Banned
 
Livewire003's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 269
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellDoug View Post

The other thing I've observed, is people are saying "I was running XXX with a Bama tune, but after 40 runs I switched to XXX and my times are better." You don't think 40 runs down the same track have helped hone your driving skills a bit? How much of the increase in performance is from the tune? How much is from the skill they've picked up?

Some people like me ran them back to back on the same night. :-p
Livewire003 is offline  
tj
PONY Member
 
tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 561
 
Quote:
Not to be cynical or anything but I would have to ask how many of our 3.7's have over 100k on these "hot" tunes from MPT or Steeda that they are using at the strip? Maybe I am wrong and there are lots of 3.7s out there with tons of miles on these same "hot" MPT or Steeda tunes.
We have been tuning Mustangs for years ... we have had 0 issues when it comes to our tune being installed on a consumer's car. These are the same tunes we used on our Serialized Vehicles that we sell at Ford Dealerships that carry the Steeda Serialized Vehicle warranty.

We make safe, reliable, and powerful tunes. We can adjust them based on a consumer's request ... don't get a safe/powerful tune confused with "hot" and could potentially damage your investment.

When you purchase from Steeda like Powerwhee ... you have nothing to worry about.

Best Regards,

TJ
tj is offline  
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
6Bolt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 354
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We have been tuning Mustangs for years ... we have had 0 issues when it comes to our tune being installed on a consumer's car. These are the same tunes we used on our Serialized Vehicles that we sell at Ford Dealerships that carry the Steeda Serialized Vehicle warranty.

We make safe, reliable, and powerful tunes. We can adjust them based on a consumer's request ... don't get a safe/powerful tune confused with "hot" and could potentially damage your investment.

When you purchase from Steeda like Powerwhee ... you have nothing to worry about.

Best Regards,

TJ
There was no insult intended toward any tuner out there; just me thinking out of the box (I tend to do that)

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
6Bolt is offline  
Banned
 
Intense's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,201
 
Perhaps MPT is working with camshaft overlap in the valve timing giving more midrange and then moving back to less overlap to hold the power longer past peak hp. That's typically how it works. They may be doing something different...or they may not be. A datalog should show this as I did see something about the cams in the available parameters to datalog via Livelink Gen 2.
Intense is offline  
Apprentice
 
SouthernCyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 183
 
I have Bama, even the aggressive Bama 93 hybrid tune a few of us got. Nice safe tune, quick turn around time for adjustments. Up/down shifting not as smooth as it could be at partial and full throttle.

I also have the 93 MPT performance race tune. Car feels faster, quicker up/down shifting partial/wide open throttle and overall faster. Very noticeable performance difference from loading the standard MPT 93 performance race tune over the aggressive Bama 93 hybrid race tune. Its thats noticeable!

I run my MPT tune over the Bama tune. Mike has worked with me on my tune to be even more aggressive and setup the way I wanted it over the standard MPT 93 performance race tune you get. Mike adjusted my tune for every mod I've put on, even the shorty headers that Bama said didn't need adjusting. Just from conversations in emails back and forth along with the pid's he asked me to log, and the specific type of datalogs he wanted, I can tell you he knows what the hell he's doing. He's fixed any issue's I've had or changes I wanted (including the 13' auto trans shifting issues) until they were corrected. If that meant for me to log different pids or record a different type of datalog then so be it. The ONLY down side to MPT is about 3-5 days turn around between revisions.

Now if others want to run different tunes then MPT thats fine with me. Less MPT cars running around my area, the better for me.

I've owned a few fast and tuned cars in my day, Mike @ MPT knows wtf hes doing.

That's my worth.
SouthernCyclone is offline  
PONY Member
 
HowellDoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Howell
Posts: 708
 
Certainly no intent on my part to say that Steeda, MPT or Lund, etc. made "unsafe" tunes. I've used Steeda tunes before on a previous Ford, and worked with Gus, and as others noted, he did stand up work and provided me with excellent customer service. I don't have any personal experience with MPT or Lund.

I successfully campaigned a heavily built Ninja 900 back in the mid-late 80s. I've got a decently firm grip on the whole strip scene, even though my interest today lies in track days, vs. going fast in a straight line. I do know that if I ran 40 passes in one night (not sure where that would ever happen around here), I most likely would find a way to slightly improve my times. I didn't mean to imply that all of the gains someone saw was due to driver improvement, but that it's very possible SOME of the gains were from that, not just from the tune.

I purchased a DiabloSport from Bama, so I'm "stuck" with them, and I'm not terribly interested in investing in an SCT device so I can try someone else's tune. If one of the other companies decides to support the Intune device, I would gladly give them a whirl.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
HowellDoug is offline  
Apprentice
 
PPinTX's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Pflugerville
Posts: 119
 
I see a lot of people complaining of their BAMA tunes not getting the car to shift right, so it seems there are a lot of folks running slush boxes and I suspect that might increase the difficulty of getting the tune just right since you not only have a complex TIVCT engine to manage, but also a 6 speed, adaptive shift transmission that has to play nice with the engine. As I drive the manual and I am seriously considering a tune, I am curious about others' experiences with different tunes on manual equipped cars specifically.


2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
PPinTX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1