Switching form Bama tunes to ??? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Had a chance to drive a little more. Damn this car feels completely different with the MPT tune. I mean it revs up quick and holds it a little bit longer. The tune has my car getting to high rpm quick. Feels like I'm playing Gran Turismo in it. So far in 2013 I haven't done much, but this is my best upgrade switching tunes. I still have my Bama tune, but this one hits the spot in all the right places. This is how I envisioned a tune to work for me. I can't believe a Ford NA v6 feels like this.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhtx35 View Post
Just got my MPT tune 93.

Everything so far is sport on. 373 gears match my speedo.
Feels like it has more in it then Bama Tunes.

The idle feels smoother, gets to high rpm a lot faster as I'm shifting quite a bit quicker. I actually was testing it out and ran into a subie, turbo'd but not intercooled, he riced me as I was cruising so I caught up to him and ate him a live. More responsive and less clunky.

My bama tune has been great for 2.5 years, but I just wanted to try something new.

Our cars are adaptive and for the most part I cruise along. So I'll test it out until Saturday and then revert back to my 93 Hybrid tune from Bama and compare again as I have never unplugged my battery or took out the fuse to clear the adaptive learning.

Car feels great with the MPT tune, I'm not sure what they do but they did a great job and were spot on. Bama's tunes are great as well, just wanted to see if I can get more so I bit the bullet for 75$

Next on the list is throttle body from BBK
I didn't see headers in your mods list. You will get more tq/hp from shorty headers then you will a throttle body upgrade. Throttle body will be one of my last upgrades, probably after ported intake manifold.

PONY Member

Not sure I can install the shorties by myself. I have one jack and a couple of stands, but It would probably take me 24hrs with my luck so I was taking into consideration what if I had to pay someone to do it which some shops charge quite a pretty penny. What should you expect to pay for a header install? I do want headers, but I just have concern if I can do the install myself and correctly.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Not sure I can install the shorties by myself. I have one jack and a couple of stands, but It would probably take me 24hrs with my luck so I was taking into consideration what if I had to pay someone to do it which some shops charge quite a pretty penny. What should you expect to pay for a header install? I do want headers, but I just have concern if I can do the install myself and correctly.
I payed 150 it was about a 3 and a half hour job. I didn't have any jacks or stands or the proper extensions or tools so just decided to have someone install it. The shorty headers are way easier to install than long tubes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
I payed 150 it was about a 3 and a half hour job. I didn't have any jacks or stands or the proper extensions or tools so just decided to have someone install it. The shorty headers are way easier to install than long tubes

I really want headers - but my dealer acted like they would give me grief if I brought the car in with them on.

Is there an offroad x pipe that will just bolt in and out with no cutting? Maybe that might be something I could do.
Apprentice

Quote:
If you liked the MPT tune before shorties, your definetly going to like it after the shorties. I had MPT before my shorties and catless mid/x pipe. I noticed a significant difference after the install, and slightly more after a re-tune.

I did do my headers and off road x pipe at the same time. I used 2 jack stands, and 1 jack.
Disconnect battery.
You should be able to jack the car up, put the jack stands under the car, put emergency brake on and chock the rear wheels.
Move jack to under x-pipe, jack up till you touch the x pipe.
Remove O2 sensors from both sides of mid pipe.
Unbolt the exhaust from exhaust manifold and lower jack to lower exhaust.
Next step I removed my exhaust mid pipe from the x pipe, mainly because I was replacing the mid pipe. The mid pipe to x pipe is a slip fit so loosen bolts and slide brackets off. I don't know for a fact if the mid pipe needs removed just for the header install only, but I probably would just so I could manuever underneath the car easier to access the exhaust manifold/headers.
Then you get to start on removing exhaust manifolds and installing headers.
There is a write up on how to do the install, tools needed, time, etc. or you can pay someone with a lift to do it quick and painless.

FYI, you can get the ceramic shorties on auto anything with the 15% discount code for around 320 something or the chrome ones for about a $100 less.
Apprentice

All this talk about mpt is making me want to switch from bama. Since they don't have tunes for life how does their tuning work? Everytime you wanna change something you have to pay for a new tune?

Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Competition Quad Tip Axle Back, 93R Bama Tuning, 3.31 Gears, PP
post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physix View Post
All this talk about mpt is making me want to switch from bama. Since they don't have tunes for life how does their tuning work? Everytime you wanna change something you have to pay for a new tune?
I think MPT is $75 a tune...

Steeda now has a "tunes for life" program and they don't care where you got your parts.
PONY Member

Quote:
That's not the impression I got with my Bama purchase. I believe if its purchased through them they will revise your tune at no cost. Hopefully Dan or Shane can chime in and let us know for sure.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
That's not the impression I got with my Bama purchase. I believe if its purchased through them they will revise your tune at no cost. Hopefully Dan or Shane can chime in and let us know for sure.

I think he's talking about MPT.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post

Talking about mpt. If I have to spend $75 everytime I upgrade something I'm better off just having my local mustang shop do 3 pulls and tweak my tune for the same price.

Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Competition Quad Tip Axle Back, 93R Bama Tuning, 3.31 Gears, PP
Apprentice

Quote:
Talking about mpt. If I have to spend $75 everytime I upgrade something I'm better off just having my local mustang shop do 3 pulls and tweak my tune for the same price.
MPT if I recall will update your tune for free as much as needed within a 6 month window for new mods, after that it sounds like if you add anything major and require a tune change it will cost you again.

2013 V6 6MT w/ tech pkg | Steeda Intake | MPT Tune | Barton Shifter | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |
Apprentice

Quote:
Yeah you should do that.

For everyone else interested in MPT, you don't have to get a new tune for every mod. Only major modifcations like FI, convertors, etc.
I think the $75 gets you tuning for 6 months. So if you have Bama I would use them until you get the majority of your mods done before switching over. But its well worth the money to switch.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Physix, do you have any videos of your exhaust setup? Curious of what it sounds like with Magnaflow Quad-Tips and the Shorties.

Thanks!

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Yeah you should do that.

For everyone else interested in MPT, you don't have to get a new tune for every mod. Only major modifcations like FI, convertors, etc.
I think the $75 gets you tuning for 6 months. So if you have Bama I would use them until you get the majority of your mods done before switching over. But its well worth the money to switch.
+1 on this. I will stick with Bama until I'm done with modding. Maybe then I would try MPT and Steeda out. Then I can have tunes from all 3 reputable places.

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page