BBK LT headers in orange county - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation BBK LT headers in orange county

im really debating on getting the bbk lt headers ...i know there illegal out here but im willing to risk it ..i have a 2012 mustang with bama 91r tune intake and dynomax vt exhaust ..i just want that extra push and when it comes to getting it smogged ill switch back to regular headers..any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

You can't pass with a catted x-pipe?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett View Post

Pretty sure any modification to an exhaust system is illegal especially in Cali which is probably the strictest of all

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

So they don't just test for emission levels?

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
So they don't just test for emission levels?

I think that depends on the state. NJ over here does both emissions and visual with cameras underneath. CA most likely does the same

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:

i know i wont pass but i was thinking on keeping my original headers so when it comes to smog check ill swap them back out to original and swap it back out when its my smog is over
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013
PONY Member

They will be a complete pain in the ass to swap all the time. That is all

2012 premium mustang v6 MT-82
2014 Harley 72' sportster

Overworked and underpaid technician
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You can do it like that. But if a cop pulls you over and sees you have no cats prepare to pay thousands of dollars for it.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
You can do it like that. But if a cop pulls you over and sees you have no cats prepare to pay thousands of dollars for it.

Technically there is cats (if going with catted x-pipe), just not the stock ones lol.

2011 3.7 Coupe | Ingot Silver | Black Cue Ball Knob | GT500 Spoiler | RTR Rear Valence | Tri-Ax Shifter | 3.73 | BBR Tune | BBK LT Headers | BBK X-Pipe | BBK Throttle | Roush Exhaust | Ford Racing Handling Pack | SVE Lower Arms | Ford Racing Panhard | GT500 Brembo Brakes | JLT Carbon CAI |

2014 5.0 Coupe | Ruby Red | Track Pack | Recaro |
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayInstinctz View Post
Technically there is cats (if going with catted x-pipe), just not the stock ones lol.
Ya with a catted x pipe it's not too bad. Most cops won't be able to tell the difference

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerocket View Post
They will be a complete pain in the ass to swap all the time. That is all
+10000000 on this.

My install took 8 hours from start to finish. Good luck on that...
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayInstinctz View Post
Ya with a catted x pipe it's not too bad. Most cops won't be able to tell the difference

Apprentice
S197 Member

Even going without cats and adding resonators would throw off most police I believe.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
im really debating on getting the bbk lt headers ...i know there illegal out here but im willing to risk it ..i have a 2012 mustang with bama 91r tune intake and dynomax vt exhaust ..i just want that extra push and when it comes to getting it smogged ill switch back to regular headers..any suggestions ?
Long tube headers will definitely be an awesome addition to your already modded 2011+ V6! As you know, you won't pass emissions with a set of Long tubes and an after market X-pipe. This is something that everyone who has a car with headers on it has to deal with! If you're willing to do the work to swap them back and forth, that plan will work.

I wish there was a better answer!

Hit me up if you have any questions. Also, let us know when you get the headers installed, we'll get you an updated tune sent out!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Rookie

Ya in Cali its Illegal to modify any Emission part. But as long as you don't get popped for a Smog Inspection and can just do a Smog test Id think it would pass with a catted X pipe. Luckily I live in one of the Few it not only county in California that doesn't require Smog testing. So im good to go once I can afford the Headers and X pipe.

2011 3.7L MT, Magnaflow Competition Axle Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page