2012 V6 Pony Dies Intermittently - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 V6 Pony Dies Intermittently

I have a 2012 3.7 Pony. Yesterday the engine died out of the blue on the freeway. Upon trying to re-start, the starter would run for a few seconds and stop. The same thing happened today on a surface street at about 30 mph. The dealer can't find any codes and could not reproduce the situation. Does anyone have any ideas about this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
List your mods.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

No engine mods. I believe the dealership added an alarm system.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
BOSS Member

Garage
Bad gas ??? Pour a bottle of Seafoam in the tank.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane 2012 Pony View Post
Any mods that aren't attached by double-sided tape are relevant.

Seconding the possibility of bad gas, but this is running off of very little information.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane 2012 Pony View Post
Aftermarket alarms can be a big pain sometimes. It would be worth checking that out to make sure it is working properly.

1973 Mach 1 - Medium Aqua, 351c, functional Ram Air
2013 V6 Premium - Deep Impact Blue, MCA, 3:31 gears.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I had thought about the possibility of bad gas. after sitting for a few minutes, it would start again. Now, it will start, run rough for about 20-45 seconds and die. there is an odd exhaust smell... possibly non-combusted fuel. I will get some seafoam tomorrow and try it. It looks to me like it has to either be fuel or computer related.

I have not modified anything, other than some striping and decklid panel... nothing that makes the car do anything but look different.

Also, intermittently, the service advancetrac message and lights would come on, about once a month for the past 4-5 months. Other than that, the car has run excellent.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sounds like really bad fuel, but as a second possibility, wasn't there an issue with a wire shorting under the rear seat that was causing intermittent shutdowns on some 11-12's?

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
OK You said the dealer could not reproduce it... and that they can get no codes.
But it now sounds like you are saying it happens every time you try to run it... back to the dealer it would go IMHO.

If they are not able to get any codes even after seeing "intermittently, the service advancetrac message and lights would come on, about once a month for the past 4-5 months" then the only thing I can think of is somehow it's losing power to the ECU and thus cuts out and then has no power to set a code...

Also note: DO NOT PUT ADDITIVES IN YOUR FUEL read your warranty they "can" blame anything you add if there is any issue with fuel delivery.

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
JeffOden

Some good advice here. Besides taking it back to the dealership don't tell them if you've put additives in your tank. You might try just going to a Shell, Chevron, or 76 station and top off with some Premium gas.
Rookie

From my experience that sounds like a loose connection some where. or possibly a animal chewed some wires. I would start at the battery and check connections on as many wires as I could see. and look for chew marks.

2011 3.7L MT, Magnaflow Competition Axle Back Exhaust
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you all for your input. I think we can rule out bad fuel. The car does not start at all now. It just turns and turns. It will go on a tow truck in the morning to the dealership. It now seems that fuel isn't even getting to the engine. (bad fuel pump or clogged filter maybe?) all lights and electrical seem to be working fine.
Banned

Good luck, it will be much easier to diagnose now that its really dead.
GT Member

If the alarm system has a KILL feature, that's where I would start.

My money is on the alarm.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
PONY Member

The alarm wouldn't make it run rough

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2012 , 3.7 v6 , pony , power loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page