Tuning for Autocross - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Tuning for Autocross

I'm using the 87P bama tunes on my car (2012 V6 automatic) for street use, and I'm running 255/45x18s on my car in that configuration.

I recently purchased a set of 285/35x18s (and some wider wheels) for autocross use and will be using the 93R tune. Since these tires will only be on the car for autocross events, will the 93R tune I currently have be okay, or should I get a tune specifically for these tires (remember, my car is an automatic).

I won't be letting the car automatically shift, so my initial impression is that I don't have to worry about it. I want the best possible performance from the car in 1st through 3rd (4th and higher don't matter).

So should I get a new 93R tune just for autocross?

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
That tire diameter is going to be a full inch shorter than 'regular', I believe. So, yes, you'll probably want a specific tune for the tire diameter, if only for an accurate speedometer reading.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I wouldnt adjust anything for the shorter tires. If youre only using them for autox the speedo being off doesnt matter because of the short amount of time youll be on them

==2012 Kona Blue Mustang V6==
==1995 Neon Coupe==

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivix View Post
I wouldnt adjust anything for the shorter tires. If youre only using them for autox the speedo being off doesnt matter because of the short amount of time youll be on them
That's what I was thinking. I have track wheels/tires that I'll be installing after I get to the event, and since the trans won't be shifting on its own, the speedo being off isn't a big deal. If I'm wrong on that, someone let me know.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
That's what I was thinking. I have track wheels/tires that I'll be installing after I get to the event, and since the trans won't be shifting on its own, the speedo being off isn't a big deal. If I'm wrong on that, someone let me know.
Well I would think that the speedo being off would also lead to the rpm being off because it would say your going lets say 20 mph if your actually going 15 than the rpms will be inflated artificially I would think? Which could lead to you shifting too soon or too late.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Well I would think that the speedo being off would also lead to the rpm being off because it would say your going lets say 20 mph if your actually going 15 than the rpms will be inflated artificially I would think? Which could lead to you shifting too soon or too late.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The rev counter is based off of engine rpm and is not related to the rear wheels at all. So the revs indicated will be unaffected by the rear wheel diameter. If he isn't using the wheels for anything more than competition, it'll be fine leaving it as is. However since you're reflashing the car to 93R when you autox and back again when you drive streets, why not just have bama send you an updated 93r with your comp wheel size? The SCT device carries 3 tunes anyways. Just change label to "87P Street" and "93R Comp".

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
Apprentice

For autocross, it's more about having a wide powerband and smooth throttle response than peak power. Having some extra rpm available to avoid a shift would be nice.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
PONY Member

The throttle response of the 93R tune, last I saw it, would be a disaster for autocross. Too punchy.

Ask Bama to give you a custom 93R tune that keeps the throttle calibration of the tune you use on the street, 87P.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

So what do you plan on doing with your Auto? you going to row it through the 1-2-3 as you need? I was wondering how it'd play out if I wanted to one day autocross, so let me know how it goes.

And yeah 740 is right the throttle is a bit twitchy on the 93R, it likes to jump out.

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSound View Post
So what do you plan on doing with your Auto? you going to row it through the 1-2-3 as you need? I was wondering how it'd play out if I wanted to one day autocross, so let me know how it goes.

And yeah 740 is right the throttle is a bit twitchy on the 93R, it likes to jump out.
At the last event, I tried starting out and left it in 2nd, and it wasn't fast enough off the line (of course, it might have been me making a concerted effort not to waste time/tries by doing a burn out at the start). I never really had to shift up/down. I was trying to avoid shifting because the lag between gears and the softness of the shift (even when shifting manually) would not have been beneficial.

I have a feeling the new tires are gonna cause me to go into 3rd on courses that don't especially favor little tiny cars.

I'll contact Bama about a 93R tune with something between 87P and 93R in terms of throttle calibration. I want better response, but I don't necessarily want to launch the car to the moon by breathing on the pedal.

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Not sure what tuner you have but on my DiabloSport InTune I can tweak my shift pressure and shift points (for both minimum MPH for each shift and their WOT shift point RPMs)
On the 93P BAMA tune (one I am playing with right now) at WOT the 1-2-3-4 were all set to 7050 RPM shifts the 4-5 was 6800 and 5-6 was 5000 not exactly sure what they had in mind there but OK...
I did "adjust" them all to 6850 (no headers/exhaust so it kind of flats out when you get it up past that high right now anyway) and I also bumped the shift pressures up across the board.

If you can adjust yours you would likely want to lower the MPH of the shift points to avoid deceleration down shifts from getting you squirrely heading into corners, and also think about the WOT shift points and pressures to again avoid breaking traction to keep the power to the ground.

Just curious but have you weighed your car since you did all of your mods? How much did it change your front/rear weight distribution?

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012v6Pony View Post
Not sure what tuner you have but on my DiabloSport InTune I can tweak my shift pressure and shift points (for both minimum MPH for each shift and their WOT shift point RPMs)
On the 93P BAMA tune (one I am playing with right now) at WOT the 1-2-3-4 were all set to 7050 RPM shifts the 4-5 was 6800 and 5-6 was 5000 not exactly sure what they had in mind there but OK...
I did "adjust" them all to 6850 (no headers/exhaust so it kind of flats out when you get it up past that high right now anyway) and I also bumped the shift pressures up across the board.

If you can adjust yours you would likely want to lower the MPH of the shift points to avoid deceleration down shifts from getting you squirrely heading into corners, and also think about the WOT shift points and pressures to again avoid breaking traction to keep the power to the ground.

Just curious but have you weighed your car since you did all of your mods? How much did it change your front/rear weight distribution?
The SCT tuner doesn't allow you to mess with any values in the tune. I don't know if that's because of the tuner itself, or the tune being locked somehow.

I'm going to manually shift, so the "automatic" part of the equation is off the table. Weight distribution is (or should be right around stock values. I still have to relocate the battery (I have the parts for that, it's just been too freakin' hot to work on the car).

I might also be adding a trailer hitch (so I can build myself a tire trailer), so that will add about 30 pounds to the back of the car.

I sent Bama a question about an auto-cross-specific tune. I don't expect an answer before tomorrow afternoon.

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
Weight distribution is (or should be right around stock values. I still have to relocate the battery (I have the parts for that, it's just been too freakin' hot to work on the car).

I might also be adding a trailer hitch (so I can build myself a tire trailer), so that will add about 30 pounds to the back of the car.
Pretty sure that Watts link setup added a good chunk of weight to the rear...

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

I would say a net weight gain of maybe 10 pounds, certainly no more than 15.

The fiberglass hood I'm running may have added that much to the front.

GT Member
S197 Member

Whatever you run, try and get as linear throttle response as possible. The Bama "race" tunes are no good, makes the gas to much of an on/off switch for my liking.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page