Oil Change Thread - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Oil Change Thread

How often do you guys who drive HARD and go to the drag strip change your oils? Because I go a decent amount... almost 8k on this oil which is motor craft fully synthetic. I also drive my car in alot of stop and go traffic with pretty extreme conditions temperature wise. I have went to the strip three times on this oil. Made maybe 10 passes each time. I also upshift at 7500 rpm pretty frequently as in 5 times a week at least. I feel like it is beginning to get sluggish for some reason. I think its the oil. I just thought 8k was fine on these engines, but really, is it? Especially when driven hard in extreme conditions?

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013
Banned

I've only been to the strip once but I drive the car like I stole it. I've only gone more than 5k once and hated every moment of it! To me, it feels wrong to go more than that. Just my opinion.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013
Banned

Of course... I'm sure it's fine to go over that but I'm just used to owning old, high-mileage cars that NEED to be changed every 3-5k

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
At 8k I'd change it, these new ponies have 6 qt. pans to go 10k but I won't do it. I use NAPA "Full Synthetic" which is Valvoline and I go 5k and then change.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013
Apprentice

Garage
Road course

I drive my car extremely hard when I'm at road courses. I do not let my car get over 3,000 depending on how many track days I have gone to. Road courses is different than the strip or simply driving hard on the street so it's important to ensure you have good oil. I'm going to start having my oil sent off to be examined to see how many track days I can get on one oil change.
If I'm only street driving I wait to 5,000 or going to the drag strip with minor mods. I never go over it even though the manual says I can. I'd rather have the piece of mind of knowing my oil is fresh. That is just my preference.

FR Sway bars, BMR adj. panhard/brace, FR radiator, 302 Oil cooler, Strut tower, SHR Louvers, Roush Upper/Lower Grilles, Roush Axle-backs, Hurst Short Throw, Corbeau FX1 Seats, Corbeau Harness bar/ 5pt. Harnesses, Steeda X-brace, DBA 4000 rotors, Hawk DTC pads, GT500 18x9.5 with Toyo RA-1 for the track, Staggered 2010 GT500 19's for the street, Brembo brake upgrade, Cooling ducts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013
Banned

about every 4k miles with mobile 1 full sythetic and fram extended guard filter, i drive my car pretty hard
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013
Banned

Running in the 12.50 Index series (7 races), I changed it in March (before season), then succumbed to the temptation to change it after race 5. That was at roughly 5000.

I was planning to change just the filter and top off, but had the six quarts lying around and decided to change it since it's scarcely any more effort if you're catching used oil anyway.

This is my daily driver, as you can tell from the mileage. I certainly wouldn't go 8000 or 10000 without a mid-cycle filter change. That's just me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Okay so I definitely need to change the oil. Going to do it tomorrow. After the last time at the track, last Thursday, ever since the car has been running a little more sluggish. Maybe it's just in my head, maybe it's the hot weather, but it doesn't have the immediate throttle response it had before I ran it at the drag strip in 110 degree wether for 10 passes. Would old oil lead to sluggish response from the engine?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013
Banned

I doubt it. I'd pull a spark plug and take a look. Chances are, either way, it might pick back up with a fresh set.

Me having 4.30's and running more rpms and going to be seeing the track...I'm thinking I'll go about 4k myself. Now I could go with a used oil analysis but I don't know if I'll get around to it.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

You could also send a sample to Blackstone and have them analyze it for cheap.

Do the V6 have the oil life monitor?

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Do the V6 have the oil life monitor?
Yes they do. i heard that goes on a 10,000 mile cycle.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Everyone has their opinions, and I have mine. No engine in any car I will ever own will ever go 8,000 miles without an oil change, regardless of usage environment.
I change my oil and filter at a maximum of 4500 miles period.
Again, my choice, I have been told than Im wasting good oil etc etc. But they are my cars , its my money, and my oil.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
tym
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorian View Post
Yes they do. i heard that goes on a 10,000 mile cycle.
Depending on driving style...10K miles is the longest. My car is a DD that sees occasional spirited driving, so I did the first oil change at 10K after the oil life meter told me to. I did my second a couple of weeks ago after another 5K miles, using a Motorcraft filter and Mobil1 full synthetic.
Apprentice

I'm about to do my 3rd oil change later this month at around 16k miles. I tend to usually go 5-7k miles before changing it, but 90% of my miles are cruising at highway speeds on my commute in very temperate weather.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well my oil was really bad. I'm not gonna go 8k anymore from now on I'm changing every 5k miles. The ford tech said it is what he advised to.Runs better too. The response is back.

About a day ago I mashed it going 10 mph and got wheelspin while Rolling through all of first and got sideways into second gear. The response is definitely back haha. Man these shorties are incredible for low-midrange torque. In everyday driving now it feels totally different.

I can't wait to get the lethal midpipe and accompany these torque gains with some peak hp gains. I feel like its gonna be very quick than.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page