Anyone else love the sound of the V6 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I know it's heresy but I like the v6 sound. To me it's a little more raw and race car sounding than the v8. I like how the v8 sounds too, but just because a car has 8 cylinders doesn't mean it sounds good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

I wouldn't use the word Love, but it does sound good. Better with CAI (for me) and Bassani (for folks outside the car). V8 rumble is the best but even 4 cyl can sound good as Vivix mentioned. Heck, any well running engine can sound good even my old Massey-Fergusson tractor has a nice lope to it.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Rookie

I dont even bother comparing the cyclone to the coyote. Its not a fair comparison, but I do know with intake, headers, midpipe, axle back the v6s sound like one mean car. Sounds really aggressive, albeit a little euro, I've come to enjoy the unique sound. After being at the AM show I realize the loud v8 rumble is a dime a dozen. It's cool when you roll in a 6 and produce some crazy unique sound and it makes people turn wondering WTF car that was. Obviously I do love the v8 sound, my boy has the borla S-types and it sounds like a monster truck no joke.

MACH I Member

I think with stock exhaust it sounds pretty good at higher RPMs. Some aftermarket exhausts can make it sound terrible though. The other day some D-bag in a 2011-2012 V6 did a ricer fly-by on the highway and his exhaust sounded like a hive full of angry ricer bees.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Apprentice

Garage
I actually really do like the sound of the V6. It isn't a V8 and it sounds nothing like, or as cool as, the 351 in my '73, but I really do like it.

A couple of guys in our club were joking around while we were dyno testing our cars and were asking if mine was even running Once it was hammered and getting up into the revs, it screamed almost as loud as some of the V8s. I also got a compliment from a 2012 Boss owner when I punched it. He said that he was surprised that it had a pretty nice scream in the higher revs.

1973 Mach 1 - Medium Aqua, 351c, functional Ram Air
2013 V6 Premium - Deep Impact Blue, MCA, 3:31 gears.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mine with the Short Tube headers, True X-Pipe and the Touring A/B's sounds pretty good.
Not real loud but you know it is coming when I am on it.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Apprentice

I just put on the borla s type axle back on my 2013 mustang manual and it sounds amazing running thru the gears. I love it
Apprentice

They sound decent stock. Still have not heard one with an off road pipe that sounded to my liking. My last car was an 03 cobra with off road x pipe and mac mufflers. Sounded epic, however even that noise gets old after a while (daily driver). After listening to as many audio clips on vids with different set ups on this car as I can, my conclusion is that the shorty headers are the key to getting these cars to sound deeper and more tuned.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG3.7 View Post
I dont even bother comparing the cyclone to the coyote. Its not a fair comparison, but I do know with intake, headers, midpipe, axle back the v6s sound like one mean car. Sounds really aggressive, albeit a little euro, I've come to enjoy the unique sound. After being at the AM show I realize the loud v8 rumble is a dime a dozen. It's cool when you roll in a 6 and produce some crazy unique sound and it makes people turn wondering WTF car that was. Obviously I do love the v8 sound, my boy has the borla S-types and it sounds like a monster truck no joke.
If you think Borla's sound like a monster truck id hate to crank my car in your driveway while you were asleep. You'd literally think Satan was outside.

I tested it, my car can rumble my house. My dad left to go to town in it the other day and floored it on the way out. MY GOOD MAN LET ME TELL YOU I WAS HAPPY

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual transmission-BBK Longtube headers-BBK O/R X- Borla S Type mufflers- Dolce DC34 Matte Black wheels - 255/35/20 Nexen N3000 all around.
Raxiom halos, all lights smoked, louvers, Tuned by Lund Racing
PONY Member

I run a stock exhaust and an AirRaid CAI. I think my car sounds great.

I also had an old 73, with a 351C. That was a good sounding car. This new 13 V6 may not sound quite as good, but would stomp the guts out of that 73 in every other category.

Recently I heard a 5.0 that I thought sounded, lets just say, not so good. It was loud, but there's a difference between loud and good, in my ears.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

One has to be realistic here. The V6 can be made to sound great with the proper exhaust enhancements. But it can never be made to sound like a V8. As a matter of fact, the newer V8's like the Coyote can never be made to sound like the performance V8's of the past.
I always have had big, modified engines in my cars. My 442 with big cubes, and long duration cam , sounded nothing short of awesome. It idled at 1500 in park, 1200 in gear. It rumbled, and loped like it meant business.
But that was then, this is now. My V6 sounds great, and I have accepted the fact, that it is not a large displacement race engine.
When I consider all parameters , gas mileage, reliability, and driveability, it becomes quite clear that that in it's own wright, the 3.7 is and excellent powerplant. One must just realize, their limitations. And be honest, with themselves.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

The best sound I've ever heard from a 3.7 is one set up with adjustable electric cut outs.....You can blend the sound any way you want it, and then shut it off to stock when it needs to be quiet. And can be done generally for less money that most systems..... And that's a fact Jack ! best regards Plum
PONY Member

Why doesn't you v6 sound like a v8, because it's not a v8[ it's missing 2 cylinders]! This is some silly s*#t man! You like a v8, why do you have a v6? I'm in my 60's, back in the day I rode in or drove or raced about everything on the street. I have a 3.7 m6 with an Injen CAI and Roush axle backs, it sound as good or better than anything back then. A v8 is a one note pony, it sounds like a v8, end of story.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
The only thing I think sounds better than a screaming v8 is a Lamborghini v12 revving to 9k in half a second.

Nothing can beat that auditory sensation IMO.

Sure it can. Nothing in the world sounds like a four-rotor. Which rev faster and higher!

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
Sure it can. Nothing in the world sounds like a four-rotor. Which rev faster and higher!

haha that sounds like a lawn mower.

Lamborghini has depth and sounds unlike anything else.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page