Anyone else love the sound of the V6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Anyone else love the sound of the V6

Okay so one common theme I've found on these boards is everyone complaining about the sound of the V6. Stuff like, how do I make it sound like a V8 and what exhaust improves sound. I'm here to basically ask, anyone else love the sound.

I love how it burbles and it's audible while standing still, similar to a V8 and then has that whiny racy sound when hitting the gas. It even backfires sometimes. I think it sounds great and only wish it was a bad bit louder because I really don't want to change the way it sounds.

I'm surprised with all the hate it gets but maybe some of us aren't being heard. Anyone with me fellas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStarr View Post
Okay so one common theme I've found on these boards is everyone complaining about the sound of the V6. Stuff like, how do I make it sound like a V8 and what exhaust improves sound. I'm here to basically ask, anyone else love the sound.

I love how it burbles and it's audible while standing still, similar to a V8 and then has that whiny racy sound when hitting the gas. It even backfires sometimes. I think it sounds great and only wish it was a bad bit louder because I really don't want to change the way it sounds.

I'm surprised with all the hate it gets but maybe some of us aren't being heard. Anyone with me fellas?
Everyone doesn't really hate how it sounds its just that the 5.0 sounds so much better it makes the v6 look bad.

If your talking about the stock exhaust though; that was so quiet I couldn't even hear the car when flooring it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Everyone doesn't really hate how it sounds its just that the 5.0 sounds so much better it makes the v6 look bad.

If your talking about the stock exhaust though; that was so quiet I couldn't even hear the car when flooring it

^^I agree^^ As much as I like my V6, I am old school enough to think that "nothing" sounds better than the rumble of a V8. In my case it comes from growing up in the days of the first "horsepower" wars -64 to about 1972 or so. In my opinion, even the twelve cylinder motors don`t sound as good as a cammed V8, but again- that`s just my opinion. That does not give anyone the right to demean someone`s ride just because its a V6 though. Its simply a preference, nothing more.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

Last edited by kenv; 09-06-2013 at 11:09 PM.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If there wasnt an alternative everyone would love the sound.

I like it a lot, stock or modded. I think It's a great sounding engine

Also, just to throw it out there: I love how certain heavily modified 4 cylinders sound

==2012 Kona Blue Mustang V6==
==1995 Neon Coupe==
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Banned

Try it with an off-road H and the stock mufflers.

I do get spectators dropping by to say that it sounds great going down track, etc. It does have its own sound!
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
^^I agree^^ As much as I like my V6, I am old school enough to think that "nothing" sounds better than the rumble of a V8. In my case it come from growing up in the days of the first "horsepower" wars -64 to about 1972 or so. In my opinion, even the twelve cylinder motors don`t sound as good as a cammed V8, but again- that`s just my opinion. That does not give anyone the right to demean someone`s ride just because its a V6 though. Its simply a preference, nothing more.
The only thing I think sounds better than a screaming v8 is a Lamborghini v12 revving to 9k in half a second.

Nothing can beat that auditory sensation IMO.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Rookie

The thing is, if you don't do your exhaust setup just right on these V6's they can sound like complete garbage, but with the V8's it is very hard to make them sound bad. This especially applies when you put headers on or change the midpipe. I love the sound of my V6 with my MRT interceptors When the 3.7 is set up right, it sounds exotic and it kind of fools people when they hear that sound coming from a mustang Personally though, I think that nothing beats the sound of a good V8

2012 3.7 V6 Performance Pack - MRT Interceptors - Steeda CAI -
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
The thing is, if you don't do your exhaust setup just right on these V6's they can sound like complete garbage, but with the V8's it is very hard to make them sound bad. This especially applies when you put headers on or change the midpipe. I love the sound of my V6 with my MRT interceptors When the 3.7 is set up right, it sounds exotic and it kind of fools people when they hear that sound coming from a mustang Personally though, I think that nothing beats the sound of a good V8
I agree with this. No one thinks a mustang is rolling up when they see me... They think its some exotic.

It's hard to make these cars loud and sound good. You kind of trade one for the other. But my setup is as perfect as its gonna get I think, sound wise at least. No one ever thinks its a v6 when they see or hear my car anymore I always have to tell them now because they ask me.

Of course I would be able to tell right away if a mustang a v8 or v6 in it but most people can't

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
^^I agree^^ As much as I like my V6, I am old school enough to think that "nothing" sounds better than the rumble of a V8. In my case it come from growing up in the days of the first "horsepower" wars -64 to about 1972 or so. In my opinion, even the twelve cylinder motors don`t sound as good as a cammed V8, but again- that`s just my opinion. That does not give anyone the right to demean someone`s ride just because its a V6 though. Its simply a preference, nothing more.
Nope, right there with ya. A lopey cammed pushrod V8 is the pinnacle of engine sound.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Bone Stock and Love it!

I think the exhaust has mellowed over the last year and half of ownership. I see no reason right now to replace the exhaust with something louder. It's a daily driver and vacation cruiser. I don't want to change a thing, except the rims.

2012 Mustang Base V6 Coupe, 6 spd Automatic, 3.31 Rear Axle, Kona Blue
Banned

Meh. I think it's a boring exhaust note. Nissan's 3.7 sounds better stock in the Z. With that said, i don't think i've ever heard a V6 sound i've liked better than an 8/10/12 cyl.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
Meh. I think it's a boring exhaust note. Nissan's 3.7 sounds better stock in the Z. With that said, i don't think i've ever heard a V6 sound i've liked better than an 8/10/12 cyl.
The vq engines come with tuned length shorty headers stock. That is why they have that nice smooth sound

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
Nope, right there with ya. A lopey cammed pushrod V8 is the pinnacle of engine sound.
Those do sound great but that sound is forever lost. No more mechanics left in the motor. All cars have such a smooth, electronic exhaust now.

My v6 has a great sound from the CAI. Gets quite loud when I get past 4k.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I love my 500 but I have to tell ya the V6 sounds pretty damn good with the Borla's on it.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Apprentice

I love the sound of my 6. Just wish it was a tad bit deeper, but overall after everything I've done to it I like the sound.

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page