High RPM acceleration sound - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

High RPM acceleration sound

Hey, guys. Ever since I started running my Lund tune, right after I ran a bama I started to notice a rattle at high RPM acceleration(it could have started before that, just more quietly). I initially thought it was some sort of exhaust rattle, but after the past week or so I've started to question that. At about 5,000RPM give or take a little, it starts to sound like some kind of metal flapping up against metal(that's all I can think of to compare it to). Maybe like an aluminum sheet hitting something at a very high speed, which is what made me think it was exhaust that was loose or something, but I have checked all of my exhaust numerous times to make sure it's tight. Also, I believe it gets louder in a 3rd gear acceleration, than 1st or 2nd, but that could just be me. I know people have had problems with the driveshaft, but with my mods, and speeds that I'm going, I didn't really think it could be that. I just wanted a few opinions though. Thanks.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Apprentice

Not sure if ford fixed the problem, but on the 05 mustangs with manual trans there was a separator plate between the motor and the trans ( just a piece of sheet metal) that would rattle at certain rpms even if all bolts were tight. It was fixed by putting washers in between so there was no wiggle room. Not sure if the newer cars have the same plate, may be something worth looking into

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The "rattle" that your hearing could be engine knock or ping. It happens from timing being to aggressive on the tune and gas detonating to early or to late. Have you asked lund about it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

After being under the car I have noticed what you are talking about, but when I shook it it didn't move so I didn't suspect it of anything. Thanks for the input!

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Apprentice

Can you get some audio of it to share? Easier to diagnose then.

2011 V6 Convertible Kona Blue I Billet Grille
Ford Racing exhaust I Ford Racing M5300N Springs
Airaid CAI I Bama 91 Hybrid Tune
Koni STR.T Shocks
American Racing Bullit Chrome 18" Wheels
255/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S Plus
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I tried to get a video of it earlier, but with the exhaust and road noise I couldn't hear it on the video.. But as far as the knock goes... I have not asked them, But to me it doesn't come from the engine, it comes more from right by the x-pipe, and also the front end of driveshaft where the sheet metal is. Does the sound come directly from the engine or would I hear it further back if it was a knock? And I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I tried just doing a rev while in park, and it makes no sound in higher RPM.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Apprentice

I have this same thing happing to my car also.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
I tried to get a video of it earlier, but with the exhaust and road noise I couldn't hear it on the video.. But as far as the knock goes... I have not asked them, But to me it doesn't come from the engine, it comes more from right by the x-pipe, and also the front end of driveshaft where the sheet metal is. Does the sound come directly from the engine or would I hear it further back if it was a knock? And I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I tried just doing a rev while in park, and it makes no sound in higher RPM.
If it only does it under load, it very well could be knock. Datalog your car and send it to Lund so he can look at it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013
PONY Member

If your tune is an 'open' tune (all of mine are), see what your 'global spark' is set at. My tunes run best set at O.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
PONY Member

Could it be that the Lund tune isn't all that........

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

It isn't really knocking....it is pinging. It should sound like marbles or BB inside of a can. Is that what is happening? If so that is tune related and ignition timing should be backed off some.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
Hey, guys. Ever since I started running my Lund tune, right after I ran a bama I started to notice a rattle at high RPM acceleration(it could have started before that, just more quietly). I initially thought it was some sort of exhaust rattle, but after the past week or so I've started to question that. At about 5,000RPM give or take a little, it starts to sound like some kind of metal flapping up against metal(that's all I can think of to compare it to). Maybe like an aluminum sheet hitting something at a very high speed, which is what made me think it was exhaust that was loose or something, but I have checked all of my exhaust numerous times to make sure it's tight. Also, I believe it gets louder in a 3rd gear acceleration, than 1st or 2nd, but that could just be me. I know people have had problems with the driveshaft, but with my mods, and speeds that I'm going, I didn't really think it could be that. I just wanted a few opinions though. Thanks.
It sounds like you're just experiencing a slight pinging. This can be adjusted within the tune very easily. I would recommend just giving your tuner a call and they can make a few small adjustments. This should fix your issue!

I hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page