MPT Tunes - what shifting preference did you select?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

MPT Tunes - what shifting preference did you select??

Saw this on the order form:

Shifting Preferences for Automatics:
Race: Firmest shift setting, Race will shift fast and very hard. Most likely chirping the tires. If you think Race might be too firm for your preference, it probably is. Choose Street. If you want the fastest firmest shift possible, choose Race.
Street: Will be decently firm, nice increase over stock. Street is the most popular setting for automatic transmissions.
Chill: Will be slightly firmer than stock but not as aggressive as Street.
Stock: Nothing modified related to shifting firmness or torque reduction.

STOCK is out of the question...so is chill.

Now Race sounds good but what I'm wondering is how many of you have RACE on your daily driver? I'm on the road nearly 100 miles a day. Not sure if that would get annoying or be too rough on the car in traffic.

Trying to decide between Race and Street.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
BOSS Member

My 1st concern would be with the tranny life......how are they achieving this? While through programming, line pressures can be (safely) increased there are limitations for the design.......IMHO...if the program ups the internal PSI to the point that the tires are chirping (or almost chirping) with every shift...tranny failure is soon to happen.....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
Apprentice

Race

I've have done around 30 idle to wot pulls between racing and fine tuning my MPT 93 performance race tune and I have 3.73 gears.
No problems here thus far.
The automatic trans will hold 600 rwhp. I think you might have awhile before you have to worry about the trans breaking.

FYI I always chirp the 1-2 shift and depending on the road surface and weather, the 2-3 shift also.

I'm even on the stock drive shaft.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Race

Perfect. I'm not that worried about it. I'm going 3.73 next. I can change that myself on my MPT tune correct?

Mostly I just want to make sure I won't hate the race tune with all the commuting in traffic I do.

Thanks for your input!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
Banned

Race, for sure. Just a comparison... ran the 93 MPT Street at a 14.3 1/4 mile, and the 93 MPT Race at 13.4. Just sayin'.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire003 View Post
Race, for sure. Just a comparison... ran the 93 MPT Street at a 14.3 1/4 mile, and the 93 MPT Race at 13.4. Just sayin'.
Race it is. I figured for $75 why not throw it on my tuner and compare it to the Bama tunes.

I'm sure I will like it!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire003 View Post
With no other changes at all? Same day?

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
Banned

Not the same day, but no physical changes to the car. I could re-run them the same day but feels like a waste of a run if I'm not going for a new personal best.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
Banned

Seems like a lot of these comparisons are being made in the field. I'll stay out of this since I'm a stick car, but tomorrow will be the Bama Race vs. MPT Race at the track.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber2012 View Post
Seems like a lot of these comparisons are being made in the field. I'll stay out of this since I'm a stick car, but tomorrow will be the Bama Race vs. MPT Race at the track.
So you are going to make a pass with one tune then flash to another and run again?

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
PONY Member

I have the race MPT tune. It shifts very smooth and not as hard as my Evolution Performance tune, but it still will bark in third gear .

I would like to see the results of the Bama vs MPT tunes too.....

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
My 1st concern would be with the tranny life......how are they achieving this? While through programming, line pressures can be (safely) increased there are limitations for the design.......IMHO...if the program ups the internal PSI to the point that the tires are chirping (or almost chirping) with every shift...tranny failure is soon to happen.....

easiest way to compare a transmission that has a race shift program is to how you use your brakes. if your light on your brakes yes they do last a long time but they will wear out quicker because you are creating more wear on the pad.now if your more quick to apply your brakes then they would actually last longer because it's a more immediate application just like a transmission with a shift kit in it. the quicker the clutches and bands apply the longer they will last because it's not dragging to apply the stopping force.
PONY Member

Race, 1-2 shift will spin for a full second and practically get sideways. I can also chirp when shifting into third at 60+mph. Bama tune couldn't even chirp the shift into second always. Downshift delay when mashing it in drive is also greatly reduced. Keep in mind this is on my all seasons though not my summer only tires. When I get a day off school and work and the track is open, probably in like 5 years lol I'm hitting the strip.

2012 premium mustang v6 MT-82
2014 Harley 72' sportster

Overworked and underpaid technician
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerocket View Post
Race, 1-2 shift will spin for a full second and practically get sideways. I can also chirp when shifting into third at 60+mph. Bama tune couldn't even chirp the shift into second always. Downshift delay when mashing it in drive is also greatly reduced. Keep in mind this is on my all seasons though not my summer only tires. When I get a day off school and work and the track is open, probably in like 5 years lol I'm hitting the strip.
With my revised steeda tune for the shorties and my summer tires I can get full blown sideways in 100 degree weather.

Yesterday I break launched at 2k and left a 40 ft patch of rubber and smoke was erupting from the tires as I was rolling away through all of first gear. This never happened before the shortie headers. And my tires all are still at over 7/32 tread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Seadog

I know trannies have changed a lot from the good old days, but it used to be that a firmer shift would increase the life of the tranny. A real smooth shift meant the clutch pack slipped more. The less slip, the less wear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page