Real Black Wheels - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Real Black Wheels

No disrespect to Plasti Dip users intended. What they do, often paves the way for the rest of us.

If the pics show up as they should, you'll see my winter GT wheels, that I got from Roush about a year ago. They used to be Sparkle Silver, or some such thing. They've been powder coated Jet Black.

I still like my Perf Pac wheels better. Having said that, I like the GT wheels a lot better now that they are black. The black is more in line with the Perf Pac "theme". (for lack of a better word)

The 18" GT tires ride a little nicer than the 19s. But they don't have the grip of the Summer Only 19s. I barked the 18s long and loud in 3rd gear last night, 3.31 rear end, Bama 91H, Air Raid and alum shaft. I should have tried for fourth, but Sugarpuss was already reaching for the "Oh Siht Handle".

Comments are welcome. I like em ok, but I'm not going to be offended if someone speaks their mind. I do, all the time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black wheels 005.jpg
Views:	1883
Size:	726.0 KB
ID:	265201   Click image for larger version

Name:	black wheels 006.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	725.7 KB
ID:	265209   Click image for larger version

Name:	black wheels 004.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	729.8 KB
ID:	265217   Click image for larger version

Name:	black wheels 001.jpg
Views:	2351
Size:	868.1 KB
ID:	265225   Click image for larger version

Name:	black wheels 002.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	899.1 KB
ID:	265233  

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

Looks good. Now tape those wheels weights!

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Beautiful car!! I'm not a fan of solid black wheels and I agree the PP wheels look better on the car than the black 18" wheels.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013
Apprentice

I'm a big fan of all black rims and I like them both. But if I have to choose one, then pp is my choice. Nice car

2012 mustang v6 performance package, power mods: airraid intake, borla s-type exhaust, appearance mods: saleen front grille, hood spears, roush side spliters, 2013 tail lights, retro fitted head lights with led and hid, shorty antena, black deck lid, gt500 steering wheel, oem take off leather seats, retro black shift knob, suspension mods: koni shocks/struts, sr springs, gt500 top mounts, panhard bar, lca.
1994 mustang gt 5.0
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'm not a huge fan of black wheels either ... though my wife's red GTS has black GT4s. Having said that sometimes the color of the car just lends itself to a successful black rim addition. I like what Rodger has done with original wheels but they were nice rims to start with. Maybe I'm the only one but I think the wheels that come stock on the V6s are just plain ugly and any attempt to "spruce" them up is akin to put lipstick on a pig.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Copy the "lipstick on a pig". Even worse when you start with GT wheels! Lol

Oh, maybe they're not quite that bad. Ilike them better than when they were silver. They are different.

Stock wheels give a mustang away as to what engine and trim level it has. I took the car to the Cruise In at Owensboro last Saturday night. I stood back a ways, and watched people look at my car. Often times it took them a bit to figure it out. The hood being open was a give away. I put Redline hood struts on the car recently. I was going to snap and post a pic of those yesterday, also, but a cloud burst hampered that.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Beautiful car OP. And those wheels look great !

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Site Sponsor

IMO, the powder coated GT wheels look good on your particular Mustang. The reason I say that is mostly because of your satin black stripes. Without those, I'm not sure if I would feel the same way. I think the stripes really help pull everything together when riding on your powder coated GT wheels.

Good work!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The dealership that I bought the car from, is putting on a car show Saturday. Since they sent me a flier and took the time to call me, I figure I'll do it.

I put the Perf Pac wheels and tires back on. I have to say, those black wheels grew on me rather quickly. The car looks meaner with them on. After the show, the black ones are going back on until spring, at least.

Bonus: The 18s are a lot more fun to spin, and slide around on!

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Agreeing with Shane and I think your "mind's eye" is too OP. Those wheels are a great compliment to the stripes. Good job!

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
Banned

It looks much better with the black powder coated wheels but I for one like black wheels! I think that blue with the black stripes and black wheels is likely the best combo, maybe even better than mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page