First Impressions: Roush Extreme Lowering Springs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

First Impressions: Roush Extreme Lowering Springs

I recently had these springs installed over the weekend. I purchased them from Summit Racing for $240.

The goal of purchasing these springs was primarily for aesthetics. Like many of you, I wanted to reduce the fender gap. I wanted a mild drop of approximately 1" to 2" to ensure I could still drive this car on a daily basis in relative comfort.

It is my only car, I have two young girls that sit in back and I tackle the awful Minnesota winters with this vehicle on a set of Blizzaks.

To be honest, I was very apprehensive purchasing these. I had a very bad experience lowering an Audi A4 I used to own (even using what I thought were stock OEM sport package springs). After I lowered that vehicle it was essentially undrivable.

I chose the ROUSH springs because they are the springs that they use on the 2013 ROUSH RS car. They do not alter the suspension in any way, except for adding these springs. Additionally, they RECOMMEND that you use your OEM shocks and struts.

I thought this was a very important detail as I wanted to maintain as much comfort as possible while improving aesthetics.

The numbers:

I measured the fender before and after and the front was dropped by 1 1/16". The rear dropped by 1 1/8". This is after just about 30 miles of driving. The springs may settle a bit more I suppose.

The ride:

I would say that after a couple of days of driving, the ride is truly acceptable as a daily driver. It certainly increases firmness, but I would not call the ride harsh. There is no bounciness, unless you find yourself on a concrete road with lots of expansion gaps and undulation. You will find a bit more up and down movement than you would want as a bone stock OEM car, but I believe it is acceptable. The ride is actually more comfortable than my previous BMW 545i with the sports package. It is also on par with my previous Audi 2006 A4 (OEM suspension), with the exception of some of the mild bounciness.

Rebound is well controlled as we have an area of construction that would test this on my stock suspension.

No noises, squeaks or anything like that.

The performance:

Certainly corners a bit flatter than before and reduces body roll. I will be going up to a track day in two weeks and will report back. I assume this will improve things a bit

Final words:

I think that these springs will be a nice balance of aesthetics and performance. If you are looking primarily to close the wheel gap without significantly impacting your ride, these will probably work well. Again, I chose them because ROUSH used these on their RS car and didn't use anything else. I thought that was a big deal.

Fred

2013 Ford Mustang V6 with Performance Package, Recaro Cloth Seats, 19" Brembo GT Track Pack Wheels and GT Premium 19" Wheels, OEM 3:31 gears, Airaid CAI and Roush Upper and Lower Grille.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I wonder what your passengers think of the ride?

I just took a ride in the passenger seat of my 2010 GT, with stock suspension, and for some strange reason the ride felt a bit "harsher" from over there.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Not sure exactly what you mean. My passengers are my 2 1/2 and 6 year old girls. OEM suspension was very comfortable. The new suspension as I mentioned is certainly more firm (for driver and passenger). However, I'm not sure anyone would really notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I wonder what your passengers think of the ride?

I just took a ride in the passenger seat of my 2010 GT, with stock suspension, and for some strange reason the ride felt a bit "harsher" from over there.

2013 Ford Mustang V6 with Performance Package, Recaro Cloth Seats, 19" Brembo GT Track Pack Wheels and GT Premium 19" Wheels, OEM 3:31 gears, Airaid CAI and Roush Upper and Lower Grille.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member

What about camber issues? You didn't have to do anything to keep your front tires from wearing on the inside? I'm very interested in what you did for my car. I just want to get rid of the fender gap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Dave USAF (Ret)
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Comfort Pkg., Red Candy, Saddle Leather, 6 MT, 3.31s Build date: 20120808, Purchase date: 20121009, Mods: GT500 Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Redline Hood Struts
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
BOSS Member

IMHO, the key to a good street suspension is "Progressive Type" springs....they provide the 1 1/2 to 2" of "give" you need to address road imperfections yet give the support for handling.............

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
PONY Member

:

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Grimace427

Get an alignment ASAP.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Get an alignment ASAP.
^ This.

And I would love to see where they recommended using the stock struts/shocks. Not calling you a lier, I just have NEVER heard that with aftermarket lowering springs.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
^ This.

And I would love to see where they recommended using the stock struts/shocks. Not calling you a lier, I just have NEVER heard that with aftermarket lowering springs.
Read here. They do recommend using stock shocks and struts.

OracleHCR
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium; Performance Package 1:
MagneRide; Active Exhaust
Apprentice

Hey guys, I have the same setup. I've had them on about 6 months now...I can confirm that Roush recommends stock setup. I changed nothing else either and my alignment is good with no abnormal tire wear. I have been watching this like a hawk too, due to all the reading I did on the subject pre-install. Mine was more of a cosmetic mod, not performance. I did notice less nose dive on braking and a bit sharper turn in on corners, however so that's a plus.

DISCLAIMER: Every car is an individual and where I didn't need alignment, you might. I've heard so much back and forth "you do need shocks/struts" or you don't, I decided to trial and error it myself. So far, so good. I have befores and afters, but they are crap cell photos :/

'11 5.0 SG 6MT Brembo 3.73 Borla S-Type Catback
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0PhilGT View Post
Hey guys, I have the same setup. I've had them on about 6 months now...I can confirm that Roush recommends stock setup. I changed nothing else either and my alignment is good with no abnormal tire wear. I have been watching this like a hawk too, due to all the reading I did on the subject pre-install. Mine was more of a cosmetic mod, not performance. I did notice less nose dive on braking and a bit sharper turn in on corners, however so that's a plus.

DISCLAIMER: Every car is an individual and where I didn't need alignment, you might. I've heard so much back and forth "you do need shocks/struts" or you don't, I decided to trial and error it myself. So far, so good. I have befores and afters, but they are crap cell photos :/
Did you do the panhard bar?

Dave USAF (Ret)
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Comfort Pkg., Red Candy, Saddle Leather, 6 MT, 3.31s Build date: 20120808, Purchase date: 20121009, Mods: GT500 Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Redline Hood Struts
5POINTO

No matter what anyone tells you or what you see ANYTIME you mess with the suspension like that, especially if you lower it (which will mess with toe/camber) you HAVE to get your alignment checked. Even if you think it's fine. It is only like $75, makes no sense not to check it.
5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 GT 5.0 View Post
Did you do the panhard bar?

If you want the rear centered, you need one. Heck, most stock ones have off center rears and could use one.
5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleHCR View Post
Read here. They do recommend using stock shocks and struts.
Interesting, thanks...
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
If you want the rear centered, you need one. Heck, most stock ones have off center rears and could use one.
5POINTO, What are the consequences of not installing the panhard if I choose to go with these springs? Is it a no brainer to change the ph bar? Thanks!

Dave USAF (Ret)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page